PDA

View Full Version : Evans waterless coolant

jayeg
26-01-2016, 03:30 PM
Hi just wondering has anybody used and had success with Evans ,
I have a turbo b18c2 and was thinking of making the switch my car has never overheated driving around town, but on a long trip on the highway it starts to creep up I pull over leave the car running and it cools down in a few minutes,
I'm keen to hear of anybody using Evans and if it is a better choice then normal coolant ,
Cheers

Martin77
26-01-2016, 06:17 PM
I think this is propylene glycol based coolant (vs ethylene glycol) which is a good alternative because of the its toxicity.
Using it pure will yield a thicker fluid which may cause problem to the pump as it will be difficult pumping thick liquid through the radiator small channels.

With the conventional coolant, in term of cooling (not corrosion protection) it is always better to use high water ratio ( ie 30% coolant and 70% water) compared to a 50/50 mix. This is because water has significantly higher specific heat compared to ethylene glycol. Water per gram can hold more heat compared to ethylene glycol. It's hard to beat water in term of specific heat. Using lower ethylene glycol means that we need to change the coolant more often as the anti corrosion components will get used in a shorter period of time.

In term of over heating issue, has the coolant system been flushed? Is the current radiator the original radiator?

u mad?
26-01-2016, 06:39 PM
Changing coolant is not going to help your overheating issues, you have issues elsewhere

RenzokukenJ
26-01-2016, 07:09 PM
Try putting iceblocks in your radiator

u mad?
26-01-2016, 07:34 PM
Try putting iceblocks in your radiator

what about dry ice? surly will drop ect's by 20%

RenzokukenJ
26-01-2016, 09:11 PM
what about dry ice? surly will drop ect's by 20%
Don't be silly you troll kunt

jayeg
26-01-2016, 09:18 PM
I don't let it get to the point of overheating when I see the needle go to half way I pull to the side of
The highway sit there for a few minutes and it's fine again only ever happens on the highway I have 4 hours of city driving no problems at all, might have something to do with the short gears in 5th im revving around 4700rpm

jayeg
26-01-2016, 09:31 PM
Here's the setup I have a big radiator http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww224/madie_05/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsicuizx0w.jpeg (http://s722.w.com/user/madie_05/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsicuizx0w.jpeg.html)

Martin77
27-01-2016, 05:47 AM
Nice setup.
Do you have a fan behind the radiator?

Super-DA9
27-01-2016, 08:57 AM
Do you have oil and water temp gauges? If so what are the actual temp numbers when this happens?

It may be worth checking the radiator for bubbles or gas while the engines running just to rule out the possibility of a head gasket leak. I've had one in my EG before and it caused this issue almost exactly. Combustion gasses entering the cooling system and causing it to overheat on the highway.

If that all checks out, you might consider replacing your thermostat.

jayeg
27-01-2016, 09:56 AM
Yeah it has fan,
I will double check everything , it has had a Comp test and the vapour test and there was no exhaust gases in the radiator

curtis265
27-01-2016, 10:08 AM
Given your overheating only happens when travelling at high speed, it sounds liek an airlfow problem.. it also looks as if your the position of your intercooler may be blocking your radiator.

user connorling had this problem.

I like the evans coolant idea however unless it has a better specific heat capacity than water (which is very high) you're not going to be solving any issues.

Super-DA9
27-01-2016, 11:31 AM
it also looks as if your the position of your intercooler may be blocking your radiator.

This is a very good point m8

bennjamin
27-01-2016, 11:40 AM
OP

Install a plastic or metal shield across the empty area next to your radiator.
This will divert air through the radiator rather than over it and past it.

NB old eg breezes without AC had a similar blocking piece to promote some flow to the rad

IEVAQ8
27-01-2016, 02:27 PM
from my experience, the rpm isn't helping on the highway, but u don't have enuf surface area on that small radiator to help cool on a long cruze style drive...
try sitting on 90 or 85kms per hour n see if it helps...

I would go changing coolant just yet

jayeg
27-01-2016, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the replies
Bennjamin sounds like a good idea try and funnel the air into the radiator, I will make something for it.
Tom I will go it ago I was putting in neutral going down but I will keep the speed around 90 and see if it helps.

Martin77
27-01-2016, 05:20 PM
And please make sure that the fan is working properly. In the same idea as the radiator shield, a fan shroud is also a good idea to maximise the air pull on the fan.

Hondarally
27-01-2016, 05:38 PM
Fan achieves exactly zero at highway speeds. The air a fan draws is lucky to be travelling 20km/h. Compared to your 100km/h road speed this is insignificant.

Highway driving should put a very low load on the cooling system. You're only drawing about 20kw at100, and have bulk air flow. To be overheating under those conditions means either
A) radiator blocked (classic symptom tho unlikely if rad is new)
B) airflow bypassing the rad as mentioned before
Block off excess openings
C) water pump farked. Not drawing enough coolant through the system for proper heat exchange
D) inside of engine caked with scale forming an insulating layer.

Martin77
27-01-2016, 06:26 PM
Highway driving should put a very low load on the cooling system. You're only drawing about 20kw at100, and have bulk air flow. To be overheating under those conditions means either
A) radiator blocked (classic symptom tho unlikely if rad is new)
B) airflow bypassing the rad as mentioned before
Block off excess openings
C) water pump farked. Not drawing enough coolant through the system for proper heat exchange
D) inside of engine caked with scale forming an insulating layer.

Hondarally is spot on, this would need to be checked.
I wonder what is the rating on the new radiator? Being a thicker radiator it will not be as efficient as traditional (large area) radiators and will produce larger air pressure differential (takes more force for air to go through) across the radiator.

Daveho1
30-01-2016, 07:22 AM
pick is no longer working for me but I remember the intercooler aria looking to be quite large and as previously stated blocking the radiator. I think a custom intercooler that is taller and would occupy the space of the condenser while still leaving the space for the stock halfsize EG radiator would be where I would start.. But again that's based off a picture I glancced at days ago..

jayeg
02-02-2016, 09:48 PM
I moved the cooler across
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww224/madie_05/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsvsho869y.jpeg (http://s722.photobucket.com/user/madie_05/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsvsho869y.jpeg.html)

IEVAQ8
02-02-2016, 10:24 PM
;) .............

Daveho1
03-02-2016, 03:43 AM
Hahaha yeah fuk, wonder why there are cooling issues...

jayeg
03-02-2016, 07:50 AM
Or I'm I better off moving it the other way so the cooler tank isn't in the way

bennjamin
03-02-2016, 03:55 PM
Consider a dual width rad off a dc2 or dc4 infront of the intercooler ?

connorling
03-02-2016, 05:00 PM
http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r500/hks071/IMG_3821.jpg

from 2 years ago when I tried to solve the overheating problem. I had big intercooler before
http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r500/hks071/IMG_3809.jpg

jayeg
03-02-2016, 07:44 PM
Did it work with an intercooler that small,
I deff need sorted going in for final tune aiming for 360kw
I'm thinking a piece of sheet metal like someone said block off half the space behind the cooler to try and get the air to feed straight into the radiator

connorling
19-02-2016, 11:05 AM
Did it work with an intercooler that small,
I deff need sorted going in for final tune aiming for 360kw
I'm thinking a piece of sheet metal like someone said block off half the space behind the cooler to try and get the air to feed straight into the radiator

I added oil cooler as well.
didn't have over heating problem on the track after that