PDA

View Full Version : Jazz GD (2006) New Clutch Kit

rethgif
31-01-2016, 09:31 AM
Can someone please suggest a value for money replacement clutch kit for a Jazz (GD) year 2006.

I am not a car person, I have looked on the web (and in parts of the forum) but I don't know the brands that are listed and if they are any good!

I don't think I need a heavy duty clutch (as no performance mods planned - Jazz? - mind you, a turbo or supercharger would be nice) but not at this time.

Thanks in advance

Reth

Daveho1
31-01-2016, 09:48 AM
Exedy Standard will be fine.
Clutch industries, not as nice as the exedy in my opinion but cheaper generally.
They are the 2 most common you will get if you walk into a repco, but it depends who's doing the work.

DreadAngel
31-01-2016, 11:23 AM
Exedy Standard will be fine.
Clutch industries, not as nice as the exedy in my opinion but cheaper generally.
They are the 2 most common you will get if you walk into a repco, but it depends who's doing the work.

As Dave mentioned, go with Exedy, contact Exedy directly, they can advise the closest dealers/distributors. Compare a few and find the cheapest reliable one.

You'll be able to find some very good prices [From experience] that make those generic branded clutch look overpriced.

bennjamin
31-01-2016, 03:05 PM
look out for "daikin" brand - this company makes exedy , and OEM clutch kits for many manufacturers. You might save abit of cash finding the part in daikin rather than JDM Y0 exedy

rethgif
31-01-2016, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the information Daveho1 and DreadAngle - I have been up on the Exedy webpage and noted the clutch kit type and also some local distributors whom I will call tomorrow for pricing and availability (both of you have been a big help - really appreciate it)

Bennjamin, I have tried looking for a "daikin" brand clutch but could only find reference back to Exedy. Other links took me to the USA. Any link you could point me to at all for more information?

Daveho1
31-01-2016, 04:55 PM
My understanding was that Daikin are the manufacturer but they sell under the brand exedy (and others) and are an OEM supplier. Haven't come access a clutch branded as a daikin but haven't looked that hard. Exedy arnt expensive as far as clutches go anyway, plus you get that fantastic picture sheet of the clutch being clean, missaligned and blowing up etc. best reason to buy it

amant02
01-02-2016, 04:52 AM
JDMyard. They sell all options from Stock Replacements to Heavy Duty.

Daveho1
01-02-2016, 05:03 AM
So do repco, autopro, supercheap,bursons not to mention any number of online sellers.
talk to whoever is doing the work, sometimes they can offer a discount through specific suppliers.

amant02
01-02-2016, 05:06 AM
I have done my shopping, I know they are cheapest.

On both occasions, for my Type R and WRX STI.

JDMyard has been cheapest by far.

Give them a call before you buy OP. I know will be buying one for Type S off them soon, wont even bother calling places.

Daveho1
01-02-2016, 05:14 AM
you amant don't have any buying power so you are compairing retail to retail. Talk to your mechanic or a few mechanics and explain you want an Exedy clutch and see what price they come up with. The price of the clutch might be 50-60 diffrence between places but the labour is where the diffrence will be.

amant02
01-02-2016, 07:50 AM
^ wata fkn dud.

Op in the real world what you need to be worried about will the tech cover warranty.

Even thou part maybe exedy, mechanics dont like to cover work on parts from an unknown source. (from their perspective)

Also if they want any more than $1000 in labour look else where, about $800 be a good deal. Its only a Jazz, its not putting massive power down nor seems like your planning too.

Daveho1
01-02-2016, 09:13 AM
Lol can you read or nah?

amant02
01-02-2016, 06:42 PM
Dave u have no idea what your talking about. Stop responding mate. Lmao buying power..... at a mechanics. I think he meant trade prices.

Yea ofcourse there is always a difference in labour shop to shop ranging from 80/hr to 120/hr.

Its a GD3 mate and its only a clutch job. Any joe blow tech will do a good enough job.

DreadAngel
01-02-2016, 07:24 PM
JDMyard. They sell all options from Stock Replacements to Heavy Duty.

I have done my shopping, I know they are cheapest.

On both occasions, for my Type R and WRX STI.

JDMyard has been cheapest by far.

Give them a call before you buy OP. I know will be buying one for Type S off them soon, wont even bother calling places.

Not when I was shopping... =|

amant02
01-02-2016, 09:27 PM
Yea but, your a part supplier yourself. :eek:

Hook ups on stock replacement exedy clutch for a type S?

Daveho1
02-02-2016, 04:26 AM
Dave u have no idea what your talking about. Stop responding mate. Lmao buying power..... at a mechanics. I think he meant trade prices.
More evidence that you have no idea, you do know that I do parts professionally yeah?
I think your Integra bingle had made you abit silly mate

Daveho1
02-02-2016, 04:57 AM
Additionally "trade price" isn't a fixed price...
"Trade" can range significantly from 10% below retail (AKA List price) to well below 50% off RRP as most stores are will to give hefty discounts in exchange for a larger portion of your business, and some workshops are willing to pass on some of these discounts to be competitive. Then again what would I know I have a mortgage which isn't paid off yet, a shitbox DC2 and unpainted nails obvious no idea.

bennjamin
02-02-2016, 09:45 AM
Guise please back on topic.

OP buy a new OEM clutch kit to suit your car. Get a local mech or DIY backyard kid like myself to install it. Get on with life.

rethgif
05-02-2016, 10:59 AM
I have taken everyone's advice on board and as time was short, I left it to the mechanic to pick what he was comfortable with and more importantly if things go "pear shaped" he would not have any excuses if I had supplied the gear.
It cost $1250 all up which included checking other bits and pieces at the time. Car is 1000% better and drivers really well. I did ask what make of clutch he put in but it was a no name ex Japan which could mean anything! I guess its about having some trust in the mechanic and he was surprised when I mentioned Exedy! (did I earn some cred points!!??) Thanks again everyone for their input - made this learning curve a lot easier! Cheers Reth

Daveho1
05-02-2016, 11:48 AM
It's good you didn't alow amant to lead you astray