PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Honda Accord - 72 Month Service - General Fluid Reccomendations

Shpox
06-02-2016, 09:35 PM
Hi all, my 2009 Accords 72 Month/120K service is coming up. I've only done 50K Km's so I'm going by time. I'm looking to replace OEM pads and rotors with this one too as they're squealing as expected. I'm just hoping to get feedback on the parts as I'm not going to the $tealership service I will be supplying parts wherever possible but am a bit of a noob.

Engine Oil: PENRITE ENVIRO PLUS GF5 5W30 5L ENGINE OIL (https://www.autobarn.com.au/penrite-enviro-plus-gf5-5w30-5l-engine-oil)
Engine Oil Filter: Whatever the Honda universal filter is
Air Cleaner Element: K&N 33-2402 Air Filter (https://www.autobarn.com.au/k-n-air-filter-pe20164)
Automatic Transmission Fluid: Whatever Honda Genuine is (ATF-Z1 or whatever)
Brake Fluid: Whatever Honda Genuine is
Brake Pads: Mechanic has recommended Trustop or Allied Nippon as he has had issues with Bendix CT
Brake Rotors: DBA for front and rear from old mate supercheap.

The questions I have is

Do I need to bother with Power Steering Fluid, and if so, does it need to flushed (how many L's) and what product is recommended?
Should I be using a HPR5 5W40 instead? The Penrite product selector doesn't show this. I live in Queensland is ambient temp is a factor.
Any other general comments on the above.

This will be a log book service so it will include inspecting valve clearance and adjusting if necessary I think.

Daveho1
07-02-2016, 04:51 AM
TBH I'd suggest the dealership if you are looking to do valve adjustments as most techs now don't do it unless specifically requested and with valve adjustments it's a finesse thing to get it perfect, unless of cause your mechanic knows Honda.
P/S fluid-Honda genuine is what you want a flush uses 2L
I belive the oil recomendation is 5-w30.

Fredoops
08-02-2016, 01:03 PM
Engine Oil: PENRITE ENVIRO PLUS GF5 5W30 5L ENGINE OIL (https://www.autobarn.com.au/penrite-enviro-plus-gf5-5w30-5l-engine-oil)
that or the HPR5 (5w40) is fine.

Air Cleaner Element: K&N 33-2402 Air Filter (https://www.autobarn.com.au/k-n-air-filter-pe20164)
use a cheap paper filter to save some dole

Automatic Transmission Fluid: Whatever Honda Genuine is (ATF-Z1 or whatever)

You can use other ATF considering the ATF-dw1 is horrendously expensive.

Brake Pads: Mechanic has recommended Trustop or Allied Nippon as he has had issues with Bendix CT

Try QFM HPX.

Martin77
09-02-2016, 01:44 PM
use a cheap paper filter to save some dole

You can use other ATF considering the ATF-dw1 is horrendously expensive.

Ebay is having 10% special off everything (excluding postage) with coupon code "CRUSHONYOU" from 09.02.2016 till 12.02.2016. This is good for items that are not sold in Repco or Supercheap (they have special regularly). This include redline D4 ATF or other redline oil. Still expensive though...

Shpox
20-02-2016, 10:25 PM
Thanks heaps guys. Car is running great.

I went with the following:
Honda Oil Filter (OEM blue ones)
Penrite HRP5-W40
Penrite HPSO
Penrite ATF-FS
Ryco Oil Filter

Car loves to get its VTEC on now and the AT shifts are so much smoother.

DBA Rotors and QFM HPX pads are on their way next week.

Only thing I've noticed is that the steering is more heavy with HPSO. Not a bad thing as it's so light usually (something I don't like, old man mode).

Martin77
02-03-2016, 10:19 PM
Would you please tell us your experience with the QFM HPX brake pads especially in term of performance, noise and dust generation?

Fredoops
03-03-2016, 03:58 PM
I have hPx with rda blank rotors.

Dust and noise is zero. Love the stopping power. Much better than bendix

Martin77
03-03-2016, 06:07 PM
Thanks Fred. I also have a hpx on my other car and the braking performance is very good. It's not as smooth compared to OEM though. Slight roughness when pressed hard.
I thought GSL RallySport is transitioning their recommendation to remsa brake pads (from hpx) because it is quieter with similar performance.

Fredoops
04-03-2016, 08:35 AM
Thanks Fred. I also have a hpx on my other car and the braking performance is very good. It's not as smooth compared to OEM though. Slight roughness when pressed hard.
I thought GSL RallySport is transitioning their recommendation to remsa brake pads (from hpx) because it is quieter with similar performance.

Remsa is actually a higher temp rated pad compared to HPX (650 Degree vs 550), and it costs more, for a daily HPX is more than sufficient

However Remsa have better cold performance than HPX, but at oz we dont get that cold to benefit from that.

Shpox
22-03-2016, 08:50 PM
QFM HPX, size mixup on rears so received Remsa pads. Will replace rears at next service. Mech reckons there is plenty of meat on rears, but shit, they are awful. All they do is squeek. The HPX pads are amazing. I actually enjoying braking now.

Fredoops
23-03-2016, 12:14 PM
Yeah I really liked mine.

Martin77
26-03-2016, 06:43 AM
Does anyone know how the QFM HPX compares with the Hawk HPS pads?

Fredoops
26-03-2016, 08:30 PM
Similar but cost half as much

Martin77
27-03-2016, 01:10 PM
Thanks for that.
I think Ill get a Hpx for my rear brake as it is getting thin. Do you know the hpx part number for the cl9 rear?

Fredoops
27-03-2016, 06:39 PM
Call GSL rally sport (same people as brakesdirect)

Those guys are really good over the phone.

Shpox
29-03-2016, 11:04 PM
Had a mixup with GSL on rears the computer specified didn't fit. They swapped them over for nemsa pads.

Martin77
30-03-2016, 02:01 AM
Thanks for that. I hope it will be OK for the cl9. Maybe they can reference a Bendix pads which is db1265 (from Bendix website).

Shpox
10-09-2016, 02:34 PM
Hi all, just an update on this. I've had horrible squealing and hissing from HPX pads up front and Remsa pads on the rear. GSL have commented that pads shouldn't do this. Mechanic thinks the pads are 'too hard' and recommends going Bendix all round. HPX pads didn't fit the rear for whatever reason.

I've had all rotors skimmed and pads scuffed to see if this alleviates the issue, but no luck. Have tried a number of hard stops 0-100-0. Pads are usually great when slowing down from highway speeds. They squeal like a truck at low speeds. Quite sick of it. Can't recommend the pads unfortunately, though the stopping power is fine.

Do any of you have any tips on what to check for before opting for another pad?

Martin77
10-09-2016, 04:11 PM
Do you know which one squeeled? Hpx or remsa?
I haven't fitted my rear Hpx on my cl9 yet. Apparently I need a special tool to press the piston down. I need to do some investigation.
Did you put brake grease on the appropriate locations? On my lancer I have hpx on the front brakes. I used CRC brake quiet at the back of the pads. It did not squeel, but I never tried the pads without the CRC brake quiet.
Its worth asking Fred and Andrew regarding their experience with the HPX pads?

Fredoops
12-09-2016, 12:12 PM
Do you know which one squeeled? Hpx or remsa?
I haven't fitted my rear Hpx on my cl9 yet. Apparently I need a special tool to press the piston down. I need to do some investigation.
Did you put brake grease on the appropriate locations? On my lancer I have hpx on the front brakes. I used CRC brake quiet at the back of the pads. It did not squeel, but I never tried the pads without the CRC brake quiet.
Its worth asking Fred and Andrew regarding their experience with the HPX pads?

I've got them.

No squeal on mine, but my mechanic did slab a whole lot of brake paste on the back of the pad, as well as did some serious brake bedding afterwards.

Shpox
18-09-2016, 09:47 PM
Hey Fred and Martin. I think both sets are squeeling. At first, the front right will grab, then the squeeling will be offset to the front left or the rears. I can't seem to isolate to one pad, even though it's most noticeable on the drivers side front.

I went through a period where I let the dust build up for like a month, and then tried a wash. Post wash, the squeeling was a lot worse.

I have a local (ultratune) mechanic down from work that gets decent reviews. I'll ask them to inspect. I might buy a bottle of CRC brake quiet paste in the meantime for them to apply. I just get an inkling it has something to do with fitment. I'm not mechanically minded enough to do the job, so I can't verify if my mechanic did use paste or not.

Martin77
19-09-2016, 09:09 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvROQDsabTw

The CRC brake quiet ( you can use grease like in the video but im not sure if it will stay there for a long time) is a spreadable rubber compound and replaces the grease applied at the back of the pad. Still need to grease the slide pin (she did not do this) and the top and bottom part of the pads like in the video.

Shpox
02-10-2016, 07:05 PM
Hi guys, will be taking it to Honda Care at Sunmner Park to look at. Could be a simple grease issue, could be something else...

Shpox
12-10-2016, 11:34 AM
Just an update on this guys. Took it into Honda Care. Front rotors were glazed.

I believe my initial mechanic did not install the rotors/brakes properly. Honda Care replaced the rotors to the same DBA type, and rescuffed the pads. Things are still settling in, but the pedal feel is completely different. Will keep an eye, but all seems better now, 400 $ later.

Seems like there's a lot of cowboys out there, so make sure your mech isn't a fool.

Fredoops
12-10-2016, 01:28 PM
Another strike for ultratune. Ruining a perfectly good set of pads.

aaronng
13-10-2016, 08:51 PM
If the rotors were glazed, just run some 80 grit sandpaper over it. That's why I do each time I replace a set of pads.

Martin77
23-10-2016, 12:00 PM
Just an update on this guys. Took it into Honda Care. Front rotors were glazed.

I believe my initial mechanic did not install the rotors/brakes properly. Honda Care replaced the rotors to the same DBA type, and rescuffed the pads. Things are still settling in, but the pedal feel is completely different. Will keep an eye, but all seems better now, 400 $ later.

Seems like there's a lot of cowboys out there, so make sure your mech isn't a fool.

Has the noise disappeared completely now?
How do you rate the remsa and the HPX brake pads?

Rhys1600
27-10-2016, 11:59 AM
Has the noise disappeared completely now?
How do you rate the remsa and the HPX brake pads?

Ive got Remsa's on DBA T2 rotors on the front of my CP2 and they are ok, so dusty though.

Shpox
16-07-2017, 05:26 PM
Ive got Remsa's on DBA T2 rotors on the front of my CP2 and they are ok, so dusty though.

Hi all, just an update again. So I had no luck. The mech refinished the front pads with the QFM's and reapplied paste. This minimised the squeel but I ended up with a rust ring around the rotor where is wasn't contacting the pad. We had the QFM chemist on the phone, and in the end, we swapped them for a Mintex pad of the mech's choosing.

These are a softer compound and the rust ring was fixed, but they squeel again.
So six months and few k spent, and I still have problems.

I found this TSB: http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/lorunner/2010-07-11_123551_a09-096.pdf

It introduces some V springs but it's a US TSB. The part number is valid but not sure if it will work on my accord. Pretty sure an EX will be fine though.

So sick of this, just want brakes that don't squeel.