PDA

View Full Version : CU2 Intake Resonator Delete Experience

Holy Frog
09-02-2016, 02:38 PM
After two years of umming and ahhing, I finally decided to remove the intake resonator from the K24Z3 as I did for my CD5.

Having lived with it for a few weeks, I thought I'd post up here for anyone else worried about it. Blue-tsx on youtube has good advice on removing the front bumper. All up from start to finish was 1 hr and 10 minutes.

Remove the top clips with a flat large screwdriver and remove the similar tabs from underneath. Pop and pull out completely.
8 up top and 12 underneath, plus two phillips head screws under the wheel arch.
Laying them out in this way, help make sure you put the right ones back in the right spots. The ones underneath on the ends are slightly different. Removing the bumper needs to be done carefully and take close note of your existing gaps, particularly around the headlights. The tabs under the headlights provide the biggest risk to this exercise I think. Take your time.
29323 29324 29325 29326
There are plenty of cables running to the bumper - I chose not to remove any, although it woudl have been a touch less risky to remove the resonator had I done so. But no need. Headlight washers, parking sensors all cabled in. Only two bolts on the resonator and once they are easily removed, the resonator itself will need some twisting and working to get out. Nothing risky here.
29327 29328 29329 29330

29331 29332 29333
Make sure you "tuck" the under bumper parts correctly, as they were. I had one put in incorrectly, and could not figure out why the pin would not pop back in and hold its position. The tip with the pins - if it doesn't feel right, its probably not. Pull it out and go again.
29334 29335 29336

One bit of advice - the volume at certain RPMs is deafening - It will literally resonate inside your ear drum. It may not be pleasant, but can be mitigated but retaining the rubber seal from the resonator on the airbox. Putting this back made the car "better" and I have no issues with it now.

-----------------------------------------------

So whats it like inside the cabin?
Below 3k it is barely noticeable and 95% of your companion travelers will not notice anything. This is good! :thumbsup:
Between 3k and 4k the volume begins. The sweetness of the sound is debatable, but you are aware things have changed and there is a deep draw of air.
Between 4k and 5k the resonances are all over the place, but its clear you are not hanging about. Fairly epic and will concern your partner in the car.
Between 5k and 6k its loud, some mild VTEC hammering :thumbsup: is perceptible, but certainly no audible "vtec changeover", which is as expected. (tho easily simulated but holding partial throttle at 4500rpm and nailing it from there lol!)
Between 6k and 7.5k its rude. Loud and fun-ish, but not the crisp sweet titanium VTEC we want.

Upon further driving, mild harmonic resonances became apparent to me between 2k and 3k which are very mild and largely imperceptible, except for me being hyper aware. Returning the rubber square back to the underside of the airbox, improved this in particular. Much better.

All in all though, it is totally liveable and for sedate driving no one will know anything has been done.

Kuchiki81
09-02-2016, 02:45 PM
Hey Holy Frog, what is the advantage of removing it?

Holy Frog
09-02-2016, 02:54 PM
Audio only.

There are some backroads I often travel down. I think the K24Z3 sounds fantastic when its allowed to open up fully.
But its so quiet - with windows up or down, sunroof up or down, the intake sound is often drowned out but wind and tire noise.
Considering we are doing 120km/h in second, its not so easy to enjoy the engine in full.

Daveho1
09-02-2016, 02:54 PM
Hey Holy Frog, what is the advantage of removing it?

Nothing other than noise.
Detailed explanation though, good on you forever having a go

Kuchiki81
09-02-2016, 03:08 PM
Yes I agree, very good walk-through. I removed my front bumper but I have just std model, no fog or sensors so no wires. I got this tool, makes removing the plastic clips very easy https://www.heeltoeauto.com/honda-genuine-tools-bitch-clip-clip-popper.html

littlebo
07-03-2016, 12:27 PM
Advantage is to get like 3-4hp out of it. Resonator chamber is a choke for intake, less restrictions - lil more power.

Fredoops
15-03-2016, 12:43 AM
See if you could plug a velocity stack to the end of it. Then you'll have a mini icebox

RenzokukenJ
15-03-2016, 12:48 AM
See if you could plug a velocity stack to the end of it. Then you'll have a mini icebox
Exactly what I have done to my ULTIMATE FN2

fn2au
15-03-2016, 01:36 AM
Exactly what I have done to my ULTIMATE FN2

stop talking crap dude, honestly ur such a nerd. u drive a hot pink civic for starters. not even a real type r wheres the lsd? probs 07 model lmao no aux cable. get a real type r like the jazz.

RenzokukenJ
15-03-2016, 09:28 AM
stop talking crap dude, honestly ur such a nerd. u drive a hot pink civic for starters. not even a real type r wheres the lsd? probs 07 model lmao no aux cable. get a real type r like the jazz.
Jealously is ugly m8

Gonna get haters when you have so much e-fame

fn2au
15-03-2016, 01:23 PM
Jealously is ugly m8

Gonna get haters when you have so much e-fame

sure m8y

Car:
Toyota Soarer

RenzokukenJ
15-03-2016, 01:45 PM
sure m8y

Car:
Toyota Soarer
Yh u mad cuz?

fn2au
15-03-2016, 02:40 PM
Yh u mad cuz?

get a real type r kid, slowest "TYPE R" ever made lmao.

RenzokukenJ
15-03-2016, 05:36 PM
Lmao buddy you don't even

Real type R is in my possession, anything else is under me

Whatever you have, good luck, can't catch me m8 ultimation and perfection is what the FN2R is

fn2au
15-03-2016, 05:50 PM
Lmao buddy you don't even

Real type R is in my possession, anything else is under me

Whatever you have, good luck, can't catch me m8 ultimation and perfection is what the FN2R is

Should've bought my turbo kit m8.

Holy Frog
26-04-2016, 11:08 AM
One problem with this mod that was noticeable - was the amount of vibration it introduces into the cabin. This almost made me reinstall the resonator.

One bit of advice - the volume at certain RPMs is deafening - It will literally resonate inside your ear drum. It may not be pleasant, but can be mitigated but retaining the rubber seal from the resonator on the airbox. Putting this back made the car "better" and I have no issues with it now...
...Upon further driving, mild harmonic resonances became apparent to me between 2k and 3k which are very mild and largely imperceptible, except for me being hyper aware. Returning the rubber square seal, back to the underside of the airbox, improved this in particular. Much better.

One thing I highly recommend, is to insert some sort of heat proof rubber between the body and the filter box. This has made a massive difference to reducing the overall "noise" (bad noise, not good) and is far more stock sounding when at partial throttle - almost unnoticeable now.

Of course, you get into it - its better than stock.

Will try to to take a pic of my solution (workaround....) shortly. It was a leftover bicycle inner tube, wrapped up tight and jammed into the gap.

blabla
29-04-2016, 08:43 PM
One problem with this mod that was noticeable - was the amount of vibration it introduces into the cabin. This almost made me reinstall the resonator.

One thing I highly recommend, is to insert some sort of heat proof rubber between the body and the filter box. This has made a massive difference to reducing the overall "noise" (bad noise, not good) and is far more stock sounding when at partial throttle - almost unnoticeable now.

Of course, you get into it - its better than stock.

Will try to to take a pic of my solution (workaround....) shortly. It was a leftover bicycle inner tube, wrapped up tight and jammed into the gap.

Hey bud, I did like a cai attachment to the box. That helped with cabin noise

joshua.fraillon
20-11-2017, 09:07 PM
stop talking crap dude, honestly ur such a nerd. u drive a hot pink civic for starters. not even a real type r wheres the lsd? probs 07 model lmao no aux cable. get a real type r like the jazz.Love the salty banter [emoji108]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk