PDA

View Full Version : engine conversions

miztapizza
18-04-2005, 06:38 PM
just wondering what people think are a good (realistic) engine conversion?
and what are some prices, just considering what to do with my 3rd gen.

Chi
18-04-2005, 06:40 PM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/search.php?

fly_vti
18-04-2005, 07:11 PM
chi ur so cool bieng smart.. you should be a moderator

Chi
18-04-2005, 07:27 PM
not as smart as you breaking ur drive shafts twice. ;)

And if he does a search, he would find topics of converision costs being discussed over 100 times.

91'lude
18-04-2005, 07:40 PM
Hardly, if you wanta ba nazi'ized to the max, its covered on www.preludeaustralia.com, but if u ask the question it'll probly turn into a big argument and about 5 members getting banned.

The simple answer is.

b16
b18c
h22a.

Thats it, b16 vtec, prepare for a torqueless drive, it may have vtec, but the expenses will far outweigh the slight advantage

B18c, this is more smart, better suited engine size, but still, the b20a6 leans backwards slightly, and u may need to modify ur bonnet to fit these, they would cost a fortune, and not give that much gains.

H22a as b18c put alot of weight infront of the front axil, which will throw off your weight distribution majorly, and make the car understeer bad under breaking. It can be fixed with suspension, but its all getting very expensive.

Than comes the other option, turbo. Its simple, u reinforce, and boost your engine, with around 12 psi, you get 160kw at the front wheels, and pay around 10 grand for a custom system, it has by far the best gains, and the highest rate of further performance. You'll probly run high 13's on the quarter done rite, and yeah, the handling wont be put of to much, it will a tad, depends were u mount the turbo, if u can get most of the weight behind the axil, you'll be fine, even if u cant, a relitivly low weight turbo and intercooler setup will be fine.

It wont be a track weapon due to understeer, but will perform alot better. So your looking around 8 grand for the engines, and 10k for the turbo, the turbo is the better option as its suited for the car, and u dont have to change all the engine mounts and destory your handling performance. 10k is just the base for a decent setup, the sky's the limits...

But really, if u wanted honda fwd performance, getting a dc2 vtir is probly the best option, and go from there for turbo.

miztapizza
18-04-2005, 08:24 PM
i guess i should have been more specific, i did a search but mainly found hypothetical situations, i was wondering what other people that have done engine conversions have used, what it has cost em and there advice after all thats why were all here thanks 91 lude for the comprehensive guide
:thumbsup:

91'lude
19-04-2005, 09:59 AM
There was a member, cartoon, he done a h22a conversion, it cost him a fortune and he had alot of problems to repair, the car was never really the same.

There is a few turbo members, thats what id be concentrating on, hawk and prelude_psi have 3rd gen turbo's, same flipmods, they'll drop in in the near future im sure.

Hawk
23-04-2005, 10:26 AM
There unfortunately are very few (if any) cheap options when talking performance and gen 3 ludes. I was lucky enough to benifit from someone elses misfortune. I bought a half finished project car with recipts alone of more than I paid for the vehicle. I have a turbo gen 3 lude using a T28bb and it goes quite fantastic, handles like factory and is a blast to drive. I would never buy a gen 3 then spend 10g on turboing it. It just doesn't make economic sense !!??!! If u want to keep the gen 3, look at cams and exhaust etc. They are nice cars but just not worth spending 10g on ...... imo

FastAz

91'lude
23-04-2005, 02:32 PM
Yeah, sounds rite. Specially since for 10k, u could buy something like a integra type R... with the resale of the 3rd gen.

panda[cRx]
23-04-2005, 04:45 PM
not as smart as you breaking ur drive shafts twice. ;)

And if he does a search, he would find topics of converision costs being discussed over 100 times.

engine swaps have been covered countless times for most cars on the forum.

if u have any other questions along these lines i suggest try searching, it's helpful and prevents getting flamed by the forum bully chi

But really, if u wanted honda fwd performance, getting a dc2 vtir is probly the best option, and go from there for turbo.

SiR crx then look at turbo;)

but other than that 91lude & hawk basically summed it up:thumbsup:

|N|
23-04-2005, 04:57 PM
try search ... i m sure u ll see alot of useful info...

and chi has alywas been sooo slack..