PDA

View Full Version : Clunk/Knock noise in Honda HRV VTI-S 2015

TPham
07-03-2016, 09:27 PM
I just got a brandnew HRV VTI-S from Honda Blacktown a couple weeks ago. This car has everything I need. I was very happy with my new car until I noticed a slight clunk/knock sound when I accelerated or took my foot of the accelerator pedal during stop and go driving. This noise was heard easily when I drove at slow speed e.g. in carpark, in traffic jam etc. This really drives me crazy!!! I brought my HRV back to Honda Blacktown and they said “nothing mechanical wrong with the car, the clunk sound is just a part of the car”!!!! Not sure if anyone could hear similar noise with your HRV

lilthug
07-03-2016, 09:31 PM
take it to another honda dealer for 2nd opinion

Daveho1
08-03-2016, 04:13 AM
Yeah Nah, take it to another dealer. Clunking isn't part of the car and if it is well that's a ****ing aweful feature

bennjamin
08-03-2016, 06:36 AM
Mate don't stuff around call up Department of fair trading to act on behalf and get this sorted.
Car dealers will make any excuse right up until you practically sue them lol.

u mad?
08-03-2016, 08:55 AM
Mate don't stuff around call up Department of fair trading to act on behalf and get this sorted.
Car dealers will make any excuse right up until you practically sue them lol.

x2, don't let them try tell you there's no problem

bennjamin
08-03-2016, 11:56 AM
OP here is the link to contact the department of fair trading

http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/ftw/About_us/Contact_us.page

They will assign a worker to your case - state as much info as possible and they will chase up the dealer and get something done about it.

TPham
08-03-2016, 12:12 PM

They will assign a worker to your case - state as much info as possible and they will chase up the dealer and get something done about it.

Thanks bennjamin

I brought my HRV back to Honda Blacktown three times. They tested another HRV in their car yard and heard the same noise !!! They told me that they had already reported this issue to Honda and await for Honda response (could be 1 month or 1 year). At the moment, they don't know what to do with this noise. If this noise happens to majority of HRVs, I think it can be a design fault. I just hope more HRV owners will pick up this noise and report to Honda so that Honda will try to solve the problem quicker.

For now, I will try another dealer as per lilthug and Daveho1's suggestion.

ep3rsteve
08-03-2016, 02:05 PM
Thanks bennjamin

I brought my HRV back to Honda Blacktown three times. They tested another HRV in their car yard and heard the same noise !!! They told me that they had already reported this issue to Honda and await for Honda response (could be 1 month or 1 year). At the moment, they don't know what to do with this noise. If this noise happens to majority of HRVs, I think it can be a design fault. I just hope more HRV owners will pick up this noise and report to Honda so that Honda will try to solve the problem quicker.

For now, I will try another dealer as per lilthug and Daveho1's suggestion.

If a Honda dealer is saying they've already reported the issue to Honda Co. and could be waiting up to 1 year for a response, then whats the point of going to a second dealer? Of course, they could be lying to you, but that is another big problem. Did you actually witness the same sound coming from their HRV? Just because another HRV has the same noise doesn't make it OK anyway.

Do what Bennjamin said otherwise you're going to waste a lot of time.

TPham
08-03-2016, 05:37 PM
Today I recorded the Clunking/knocking noise while driving in a carpark. I uploaded the video here --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ogESHQolGI . Can you guys please hear it and let me know if this noise is "normal" for a brandnew car or not? Thanks

hendraz
03-08-2016, 07:44 PM
Hi m8.

i have the same problem with that knocking sound. Have you solve the problem ? could you please let me know what is causing that noise ?

rocky_b
02-01-2017, 10:42 AM
Hi guys! I had a similar issue with my 2015 HR-V VTi-L. Low speed driving. I took mine to the dealer and unfortunately they had to replace the entire gearbox at 10k kms! I had to wait for the delivery of the new g/box from overseas. Replacement took 3 days. Good ol' CVT gearboxes 😒. Anyway its been a few thousand kms and the replacement is so far so good. Drove it up to QLD etc. Car now has 18k kms. Good luck 👍

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Barrierreef
11-07-2017, 07:52 AM
I just got a brandnew HRV VTI-S from Honda Blacktown a couple weeks ago. This car has everything I need. I was very happy with my new car until I noticed a slight clunk/knock sound when I accelerated or took my foot of the accelerator pedal during stop and go driving. This noise was heard easily when I drove at slow speed e.g. in carpark, in traffic jam etc. This really drives me crazy!!! I brought my HRV back to Honda Blacktown and they said “nothing mechanical wrong with the car, the clunk sound is just a part of the car”!!!! Not sure if anyone could hear similar noise with your HRV

Hi, I know that your post was way back, however, I have a 2016 HRV with what I think is the same noise. The noise in my HRV happens when pressing on the accelerator pedal and releasing the accelerator pedal at low speed.

I have been contacted by Honda Public Relations yesterday who advised to take the car back to the dealership for another investigation. Did you ever discover the cause of your noise?

Many thanks.

Barrierreef
11-07-2017, 08:03 AM
Hi guys! I had a similar issue with my 2015 HR-V VTi-L. Low speed driving. I took mine to the dealer and unfortunately they had to replace the entire gearbox at 10k kms! I had to wait for the delivery of the new g/box from overseas. Replacement took 3 days. Good ol' CVT gearboxes ��. Anyway its been a few thousand kms and the replacement is so far so good. Drove it up to QLD etc. Car now has 18k kms. Good luck ��

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Hi, I have a 2016 HRV with what I think is the same noise. The noise in my HRV happens when pressing on the accelerator pedal and releasing the accelerator pedal at low speed.

I have been contacted by Honda Public Relations yesterday who advised me to take the car back to the dealership for another investigation. So far, the Honda mechanics do not know the cause of the noise.
Did Honda ever contact you directly and acknowledge the fact of the gearbox being faulty?

Many thanks.

rocky_b
13-07-2017, 06:52 PM
Hi, I have a 2016 HRV with what I think is the same noise. The noise in my HRV happens when pressing on the accelerator pedal and releasing the accelerator pedal at low speed.

I have been contacted by Honda Public Relations yesterday who advised me to take the car back to the dealership for another investigation. So far, the Honda mechanics do not know the cause of the noise.
Did Honda ever contact you directly and acknowledge the fact of the gearbox being faulty?

Many thanks.

Hi Barrierreef,

When I took the vehicle back to my Dealer they acknowledged the noise and issue right away.

More than likely it is an issue with the transmission as well. If Honda PR contacted you, I have a feeling this is a reported 'common' issue with the supplied CVTs in our HR-Vs.

No, I wasn't contacted by Honda at all.

According to my repair invoice in 2016:
"removed and replaced transmission as required as per bulletin".
Hopefully this bulletin covers your issue too.

All this was repaired under warranty.
Also got a the new Civic for free as my loan car for the 3 days the HR-V was out of action, make sure you do the same.

Good luck [emoji1417]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Barrierreef
14-07-2017, 08:13 AM
Hi Barrierreef,

When I took the vehicle back to my Dealer they acknowledged the noise and issue right away.

More than likely it is an issue with the transmission as well. If Honda PR contacted you, I have a feeling this is a reported 'common' issue with the supplied CVTs in our HR-Vs.

No, I wasn't contacted by Honda at all.

According to my repair invoice in 2016:
"removed and replaced transmission as required as per bulletin".
Hopefully this bulletin covers your issue too.

All this was repaired under warranty.
Also got a the new Civic for free as my loan car for the 3 days the HR-V was out of action, make sure you do the same.

Good luck [emoji1417]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi rocky -b,

Thank you very much for your helpful reply. I will do what I can to get more information on the "bulletin" so that I can tell my dealer about it.

Kind regards,

Barrierreef

Barrierreef
15-07-2017, 06:04 PM
Hi Everyone, I have replied to earlier thread contributors regarding a clonking/clunking noise when lightly accelerating and decelerating at low speeds. I have taken the 2015/2016 HRV back to the dealership who acknowledge the sound but say it is "characteristic" and not a " fault" or "future problem". Today, I jacked up the driver's side of the car with the car in neutral and brakes off. I turned the wheel to and fro and the noise was evident as coming from the CVT GEARBOX. My neighbour who is very mechanically minded and experienced said it was "backlash" in the gearbox. Any comments from anybody else would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Barrierreef

tiksie
18-07-2017, 02:07 PM
Hi Everyone, I have replied to earlier thread contributors regarding a clonking/clunking noise when lightly accelerating and decelerating at low speeds. I have taken the 2015/2016 HRV back to the dealership who acknowledge the sound but say it is "characteristic" and not a " fault" or "future problem". Today, I jacked up the driver's side of the car with the car in neutral and brakes off. I turned the wheel to and fro and the noise was evident as coming from the CVT GEARBOX. My neighbour who is very mechanically minded and experienced said it was "backlash" in the gearbox. Any comments from anybody else would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Barrierreef

5char