PDA

View Full Version : Honda Del Sol Motor Rebuild turns sour - Vtec Side Is Not Working?

wildbill
18-04-2016, 04:42 PM
Hi all
My daughter had the motor completely rebuilt on her 91 Honda del sol. I drove the car prior to it running low on oil and it ran fine with good pick up when the Vtec side came in.
After the rebuild was completed by the local mechanic I had the chance to drive it a few months later. Very disappointed as the car had far less power than prior to the rebuild plus I couldn't feel the Vtec kick in at all.
I spoke with the mechanic and he said it's running fine. Well that part is true and its running fine and starts easy but the performance side is virtually no-where to be seen.
Waste of time discussing it with the mechanic any further -his opinion is it works and all good. Any ideas on what he could have done wrong on the build. Answers appreciated
Thanks Graham

Daveho1
18-04-2016, 08:07 PM
Would recomend checking that VTEC is acctually engaging

grifty
22-04-2016, 02:12 PM
check vtec solenoid gasket, it can be clogged.

ECU-MAN
29-04-2016, 09:08 AM
The correct way to test would be first test the oil pressure, then test VTEC oil pressure (while in VTEC). This will confirm VTEC is actually engaging correctly and staying engaged.

Double check valve clearances as well (stone cold engine)