PDA

View Full Version : Starter Cut Realay issue?

CC2005
20-06-2016, 03:20 PM
Hi,

1999 EK1 CXi hatch - Manual trans

No response from the starter motor - intermittent.

I've got an intermittent start issue. All the dash lights are on, normal, and I then turn the ignition to III, to initiate the starter motor and nothing happens. The dash lights remain on, and there is no draining of power, no sound or clicks heard at all from relay's or from the starter motor. Some days and weeks there is no problem at all, although over the last week or so the frequency has seemed to increase.

Looking at the service manual that I have, a US model based manual, it depicts several parts that my CXi is not optioned with, one part being the "Clutch Interlock Switch." I still have a bit of investigating to find the location of the following parts that I think may contribute to the start issue. One being the Starter Cut Relay and the other possibility is the factory immobiliser system as fitted to the Australian CXI variant. I believe the starter cut relay is behind the dash light dimmer control, as for the immobiliser I haven't searched for it yet.

Basic tests so far have not directly pointed to the starter motor "pull in & hold in coils" voltage and resistance seem good at the starter motor. As for the grounding continuity back the chassis and negative post is good also. The battery is good, cranking the motor strongly.

Has anyone had a failed "Starter Cut Relay" or an issue related to the immobiliser on these models that created a no crank situation?

Can anyone throw up a few other possibilities that I should look for?

Apologies for the War and Peace length story, but I thought it may save a question or two directed my way.

This is an interesting read and eludes to the same or similar issue. Diagnosed on a Ferrari F360
https://www.picoauto.com/library/case-studies/ferrari-360-with-intermittent-non-start

Cheers

beeza
04-08-2016, 03:46 PM
Possibly the ignition switch/barrel,which can be replaced.

Also when a key wears and doesn't make good grounding contact,it will cause this. The key needs to be replaced.But this can cause the car to cut out too...at least it did on my friends car.

CC2005
04-08-2016, 04:44 PM
Thanks Beeza, you have given me another few options to explore.

Cheers,
CC

beeza
05-08-2016, 11:12 AM
No worries CC.We all thought it must be the icm or coil,the key thing spun me out.

anjin
05-08-2016, 09:50 PM
On those symptoms I'd be looking at the ignition as well. Had a number go on me. There are two terminals on the starter motor. If you can, test that there is voltage going to the small one for the relay when you turn to III. No voltage there points to the ignition. If you have voltage, then likely the starter coil there is acting up.
I have installed a push button starter switch to avoid replacing the ignition wiring in what is a 29 year old crx.

Immobilers also can cause this. I've pulled several of them out of cars as well. Harder to test for unfortunately, but you can test for voltage out of the ignition terminals. You test whatever wire colour you see at the starter coil. I think it's white with black stripe.