PDA

View Full Version : Clutch replacement drama

deansek
04-07-2016, 06:25 PM
Hi guys,

I have just replace the clutch on my 96 ek with my brother in law. I thought him being an ex mechanic he could teach me the correct way going about it.

Unfortunately we run out of time to bleed the clutch fully and set the friction point before dark.

But we did replace the clutch, thrust bearing and spigot bush. I have tried to move the car today and put it into gear and heard a bearing grinding sound? Any thoughts guys?

Thanks in advance

:D

bennjamin
04-07-2016, 07:03 PM
why did you adjust the friction point ?
You dont need to bleed the fluid...unless its dirty or hasnt been replaced for a long time. Anyway it sounds like the clutch isnt fully engaging or disengaging. I hope you properly installed the clutch / clutch plate / release fork .

deansek
04-07-2016, 07:18 PM
Hi mate,
The origins clutch friction point was 5mm off the pedal. And the slave cylinder has to be disconnected to replace the clutch.

Would you think replacing the fluid and bleeding it properly and setting the friction point would make a good start?

Just don't have the heart to ask my brother in law to come over and fix it haha

bennjamin
04-07-2016, 07:52 PM
Because it is hydraulic the pedal feel should be like new when you install a new clutch disc and pressure plate.
Replace the clutch fluid , bleed all air out of the system.

EKVTIR-T
04-07-2016, 07:54 PM
you'll have to pull everything apart and redo it making sure everything is put correctly

pretty much a cluster phuc :thumbsup:

deansek
07-07-2016, 05:29 PM
Hi guys
I have bled the clutch all seemed great the car selected reverse and worked then I selected first gear with a full right lock to get out of the driveway and she moved.
I heard a mechanical knock and now I can't get her to move at all??
i forgot to mention before we replaced the drive shafts also

Thanks again guys

bennjamin
07-07-2016, 05:39 PM
Make sure both driveshafts have "found" home.

That is , that the cup end is firmly bumped up against the diff housing .
If one is slightly out you will lose transmission fluid and lots of grinding noise. Plus the can't won't move

deansek
07-07-2016, 06:05 PM
Thanks mate! I will jack her up this weekend and check.
So you believe the clutch should be ok? Anything else could contribute to the fault?

bennjamin
07-07-2016, 08:11 PM
well try the drive shafts first - if that isn't the issue and you have made sure the clutch fluid is fine / slave cylinder Installed correctly - is your gearbox fluid level correct ?

deansek
09-07-2016, 10:22 PM
Thank you bennajamin for all your help it was the drive shafts.