PDA

View Full Version : Which Automatic Transmission Fluid for Automatic 1998 EK1 Civic?

YZFr1
23-07-2016, 08:52 PM
Hi

Just wondering, which ATF Brand and type to use on my Auto 1998 Honda EK1 Civic?

And rough price and where to buy in Sydney, Liverpool area?

cheers in advance

Martin77
23-07-2016, 09:17 PM
Super cheap auto is having 20% sale today. The shop is probably closed now but eBay (super cheap) or their website still should give the discount. Nulon or Penrite multi vehicle synthetic ATF should do the trick.

aaronng
24-07-2016, 11:20 AM
If you are in Liverpool area, have a look at Mekong Spares at Canley Vale. They sell Honda ATF for a very good price.

YZFr1
24-07-2016, 01:35 PM
Super cheap auto is having 20% sale today. The shop is probably closed now but eBay (super cheap) or their website still should give the discount. Nulon or Penrite multi vehicle synthetic ATF should do the trick.

ohh, I missed out .. anyways i think i will get Honda Brand ATF.

YZFr1
24-07-2016, 01:36 PM
If you are in Liverpool area, have a look at Mekong Spares at Canley Vale. They sell Honda ATF for a very good price.

Thanks for the Store recommendation.

Just wondering, which Honda Brand ATF to get? is there different types of honda brand ATF?

I just want to make sure, i dont get given the wrong one,

becuase the other brand
ATF on the super cheap auto website have different types,

ie
Transmax Multi Vehicle, Full Synthetic, Dex III, Synthetic Multi Vehicle,
Semi Synthetic, Type F,

lilthug
24-07-2016, 02:06 PM
the bottle says

honda
automatic
transmission
fluid

dont bother with anything else

Martin77
24-07-2016, 02:14 PM
Fredoops compiled a good summary about Honda ATF. Honda has 2 ATF (Z1 and DW1). Z1 for older cars like yours but I'm sure the DW1 is also compatible (please check).
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?154787-CL9-amp-CU2-You-got-Automatic-transmission-*you-ll-WANT-to-read-this*

Fredoops
24-07-2016, 05:17 PM
Honda only sells DW 1 now.

Not that it really matters. For an EK was designed loooong before atf dw1 and atf z1came to the world.

Back then any multi vehicle atf is ok. You just have to change enough of the fluid so it's not mixing too much

Just don't use any Dexos only fluid. Those are GM specific.

YZFr1
25-07-2016, 01:10 PM
Fredoops compiled a good summary about Honda ATF. Honda has 2 ATF (Z1 and DW1). Z1 for older cars like yours but I'm sure the DW1 is also compatible (please check).
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?154787-CL9-amp-CU2-You-got-Automatic-transmission-*you-ll-WANT-to-read-this*

thanks for this link

YZFr1
25-07-2016, 01:14 PM
Honda only sells DW 1 now.

Not that it really matters. For an EK was designed loooong before atf dw1 and atf z1came to the world.

Back then any multi vehicle atf is ok. You just have to change enough of the fluid so it's not mixing too much

Just don't use any Dexos only fluid. Those are GM specific.

How many Litres of ATF is required?

Is this one ok?

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Nulon-100-Synthetic-Multi-Vehicle-Auto-Transmission-Fluid-4-Litre.aspx?pid=164776&menuFrom=1021657#Recommendations

( the other link martin posted said 'There is nothing "special" with OEM Honda ATF) '

Martin77
25-07-2016, 07:12 PM
How many Litres of ATF is required?

Is this one ok?

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Nulon-100-Synthetic-Multi-Vehicle-Auto-Transmission-Fluid-4-Litre.aspx?pid=164776&menuFrom=1021657#Recommendations

( the other link martin posted said 'There is nothing "special" with OEM Honda ATF) '

The volume of oil required depends on the number of change you need to do which ultimately depends on the quality of oil inside your car. One drop and refill usually change about 1/2 the volume of oil as some stayed inside the torque converter. This might be alright if you follow the oil change according to the manufacturers specification (except for the accord). Usually one drop and refil takes between 3 to 4 litres.
If you look at the image on the nulon oil from super cheap, its compatible with Honda Z1 and DW1 so it should be alright. The nulon oil has been used frequently amongst accord users. I think Fredoops is currently using Nulon and he has a lot of experience with ATF. I personally use Redline D4 for my accord, its good but expensive (double).

Martin77
25-07-2016, 07:40 PM
FYI, Repco is having 20% sale in July for NRMA members.
There is also 15% sale on eBay (code: cpa15) on selected auto parts.

YZFr1
26-07-2016, 02:26 PM
The volume of oil required depends on the number of change you need to do which ultimately depends on the quality of oil inside your car. One drop and refill usually change about 1/2 the volume of oil as some stayed inside the torque converter. This might be alright if you follow the oil change according to the manufacturers specification (except for the accord). Usually one drop and refil takes between 3 to 4 litres.
If you look at the image on the nulon oil from super cheap, its compatible with Honda Z1 and DW1 so it should be alright. The nulon oil has been used frequently amongst accord users. I think Fredoops is currently using Nulon and he has a lot of experience with ATF. I personally use Redline D4 for my accord, its good but expensive (double).

oh thanks for explaining things.

Yes I am following the service book thing. it says to change ATF @ 120,000km . so does it mean i only need to drain and fill it once on the civic ? i was reading another thread it said some people drain and fill 3x ( on the accord)

Also, is there a transmission filter on the civic that needs to be changed ?

YZFr1
26-07-2016, 02:27 PM
FYI, Repco is having 20% sale in July for NRMA members.
There is also 15% sale on eBay (code: cpa15) on selected auto parts.

oh thanks .. also does ATF expire?

Martin77
26-07-2016, 08:15 PM
oh thanks for explaining things.

Yes I am following the service book thing. it says to change ATF @ 120,000km . so does it mean i only need to drain and fill it once on the civic ? i was reading another thread it said some people drain and fill 3x ( on the accord)

Also, is there a transmission filter on the civic that needs to be changed ?

Usually following the service book is enough and yes technically one change is enough. You can also assess if a second drop and refill is required if the existing oil is dark brown and not red, smell (burnt), and current shifting is not smooth. If I were you I would buy 2 bottles (for 2 change) and if you don't need it, you can keep it for future change. Can you please tell me when the next change is due? Is it approx at 180k km? The oil should keep for a few years.

You should check if there is an inline filter used for the car. If so, it's good to replace it. I'm not sure about the presence of internal filter for your civic.

Fredoops
27-07-2016, 02:01 AM
...if you're changing to a new brand of fluid. And you haven't done it in a long while.

Best to do at least a x2 flush.

YZFr1
27-07-2016, 01:44 PM
Usually following the service book is enough and yes technically one change is enough. You can also assess if a second drop and refill is required if the existing oil is dark brown and not red, smell (burnt), and current shifting is not smooth. If I were you I would buy 2 bottles (for 2 change) and if you don't need it, you can keep it for future change. Can you please tell me when the next change is due? Is it approx at 180k km? The oil should keep for a few years.

You should check if there is an inline filter used for the car. If so, it's good to replace it. I'm not sure about the presence of internal filter for your civic.

oh, i see.

next replace ATF @ 160, 000km

YZFr1
27-07-2016, 01:45 PM
...if you're changing to a new brand of fluid. And you haven't done it in a long while.

Best to do at least a x2 flush.

oh , i see.

Martin77
27-07-2016, 05:43 PM
oh, i see.

next replace ATF @ 160, 000km
Thanks, that is better.
I like Fredoops recommendations. Change twice now and one every 40k km.

Fredoops
28-07-2016, 01:36 AM
You'll tend to find the 2nd drain would flush out a lot of the crap as the fluid start to mix. Hence why you want to do a 2nd one.

YZFr1
28-07-2016, 02:04 PM
Thanks, that is better.
I like Fredoops recommendations. Change twice now and one every 40k km.

sounds good.

YZFr1
28-07-2016, 02:06 PM
You'll tend to find the 2nd drain would flush out a lot of the crap as the fluid start to mix. Hence why you want to do a 2nd one.

oh, i see. also do you drive a bit between the 1st and 2nd flush? or do it right after the 1st one

Martin77
28-07-2016, 10:15 PM
oh, i see. also do you drive a bit between the 1st and 2nd flush? or do it right after the 1st one

Yes, drive it around for a bit.
Maybe you could use it normally after the first change and change again the next day (or two). This way you don't waste petrol by going around the block without a purpose.