PDA

View Full Version : quiet exhaust.

ah789454
12-01-2004, 06:06 PM
what up peeps. i wana put a whole new exhaust system on the car but i want it to be as quiet as the stock honda exhaust. this is cos i much prefer the sound of vtec than having a loud exaust isnt for me

revolution
12-01-2004, 06:20 PM
what up peeps. i wana put a whole new exhaust system on the car but i want it to be as quiet as the stock honda exhaust.

Why not leave it stock then?....

VTEC16
12-01-2004, 06:35 PM
your standard exhaust system was made to be quiet yet make a reasonable power output.

you could get an aftermarket exhaust and add some resonators, but chances are you wont find the balance any better than the engineers at honda.

leave it stock.

honda_fanatic
12-01-2004, 10:30 PM
hey revolution, nice jdm lights, did u do those your self? If so, did u have fun doing it, cause we didit to my cuzns vtir ek, and it was a bitch!

Setanta
12-01-2004, 10:38 PM
I'm running my standard exhaust for the same reason ah789454 although I will be updating to a mandrel bent system and high-flow cat and muffler "soon". But I won't be doing the milo-tin style muffler - just a quiet system with maximum flow. :)

Weq
12-01-2004, 11:59 PM
Yeh i'm researching a nice 2.5" exhaust soon for my turbo project. I want zero sound though, cant stand lound exhausts.. Do mufflers/resonators impede flow much, cuase i really hate the sound that large exhausts produce..

revolution
13-01-2004, 12:39 AM
hey revolution, nice jdm lights, did u do those your self? If so, did u have fun doing it, cause we didit to my cuzns vtir ek, and it was a bitch!

hey, yea it was the biggest pain in the ass....I tried a hairdryer at first but didnt work...had to bake em in the end....

Sorry for the jack...

jenova
13-01-2004, 07:45 AM
what up peeps. i wana put a whole new exhaust system on the car but i want it to be as quiet as the stock honda exhaust. this is cos i much prefer the sound of vtec than having a loud exaust isnt for me

mugen twinloop

fried
13-01-2004, 12:02 PM
if ur reason was because u wanted better airflow, better performance, but without noise, then id probably suggest also getting a twinloop, or somethign with lotsa resonators... *if thats possible*...

but uve stated that u prefer the mystical *sound of vtec*, than having a loud exhuast. from my experience, having a louder exhuast will exaggerate the *vtec note*.... so then shouldnt u go for a fat fully shick set up?

either that, or close ur windows, turn off ur radio.... and slam the throttle.... and leave ur stock exhuast on ;)

Civic Type R
13-01-2004, 12:36 PM
ive got a replica mugen twin loop and it has a rasp in it. However it does have a nice quiet deep tone as well. Im keen to sell it for $200 as its less than 1 month old and with a 2.25" piping.
All ready for direct bolt on.

ah789454
13-01-2004, 07:34 PM
hey sentanta if u find any exhaust that has high air flow but is pretty quiet tell me wot it is.

TODA AU
13-01-2004, 07:46 PM
mugen twinloop

Ditto...

LatinoHatchCrap
13-01-2004, 09:35 PM
mugen twinloop

Ditto...
either that or source a ITR or CTR axle back exhaust and make it fit...both flow much much better than stok civic ones and look really good IMO

ah789454
14-01-2004, 04:39 PM
wots the cost off an original mugen twin loop

Setanta
14-01-2004, 10:20 PM
Pity the twin loop was never designed for the 4th gen :?

CustomCivic
15-01-2004, 04:51 PM
At the moment ive got a supersprint muffler.. Its nice and quiet but if you want something that looks nicer

X-Force make a mugen replica twin loop exhaust.. i think it costs between $300 - $400.. ive got the price at home.. i wanna get one cos it looks better

bizee_1
17-01-2004, 06:46 AM
Hmmm i thought i wanted a quiet exhaust, but after a while, i couldn't hack the "waaaAAAHHHH" everytime the 2nd cams kicked in. It wasn't the stock muffler, but was quiet enough. Was too rattly/tinny (if such a thing).

The original exhaust i 'was' going to get was a "RS-R ExMag" cat-back system, Japanese engineered & made. Having only read reviews about them aswell as owners replies, it is also one of the quietest mufflers on the market, much like the standard exhaust note, only with a much more pleasing 'deeper' sound. Oh and their are some gains in power, torque & hp. (so they reckon)

As i said, 'was'. http://www.rs-r.com/exmag.htm
Looking at the Jap site, i couldn't even use Babel to translate, so went thru the US side instead. They didn't have a distributor in Oz, but were willing to ship me one. I even didn't mind paying the rrp of usd$609.00

But this is what set me back. The following were replies :

-----------------------------------------------------
What I need to know is if your civic is US spec, Euro spec or Asia
spec. There are fitment concerns that we must address. If you know that a
US spec exhaust will fit, we will figure out a way to get it to you.

I have received word from Japan that your application is very difficult to determine. Is your stock cat in the original location?

It will be very difficult to determine if this exhaust application will
fit. RS-R is designed to fit on a stock system, and you are far from
that. Your best bet would be to try and find someone with an
aftermarket exhaust for your car, determine fitment, then let us know if
it bolts straight up.
-----------------------------------------------------

I ended up with a local jobby fitter doing the job. My exhaust note is quieter than most, but i basically told them what type of sound & volume i wanted, & they got it 90% right. Oh and the price was nicer.

ah789454
17-01-2004, 09:35 AM
what is a resonator? cos i read some reviews on the twin loop mugen, and some guys suggest you install a resonator aswell??

Setanta
17-01-2004, 09:12 PM
... but after a while, i couldn't hack the "waaaAAAHHHH" everytime the 2nd cams kicked in.

2nd cams?????

BTW - your Civic is an equivilent of the JDM XT25 other than the fact it doesn't have the facelifted front end.

bizee_1
17-01-2004, 11:35 PM
as in 2nd cam profile is activated. Or 'vtec kicks in' as maybe most commonly reffered to. i just don't agree with it though.

Oh, and thanks Setanta, i know im not a real EF9 ! hehe ;)

kinda feel like the guy with the AE85, thinking it was an AE86 in that jap anime thingy series....

GO THE ED6 ! :P

Nah really, wish i had known that before. Maybe i could've had an RS-R exhaust right now.

VTEChnique
19-01-2004, 04:37 PM
what is a resonator? cos i read some reviews on the twin loop mugen, and some guys suggest you install a resonator aswell??

With CTR's twin loop replica - it is VERY quiet.. at rev limiter it was only measured at about 100Db

we did not use any mid-resonator - just straight through pipes from the high-flow cat and the bitch is pretty much as quied as stock exhaust it replaceed but it has a nicer tone and +10-12WHP !!

I think twin-loop axle-back on stock exhaust would get exactly what you are after..

I was amazed how much noise the twin-loop cut out when compared to a straight-thru or a cannister muffler..