PDA

View Full Version : Noob questions as I starting my own project for EK hatch

absoluticey
15-12-2016, 02:46 PM
Good day guys!

I am planning to buy my own EK hatch by this month or when I see the right car for my project, although I have questions tho about which approach would benefit me more in the future in term's of saving more cash. First of all my preference for an EK shell would be color "white" and the kms ranging from about 100-150k km which I have been looking for quite a while now, I have seen some but IMO it is OP, I saw one in carsales costing 8 grand for a stock CXI which is ridiculous IMO. I am starting to give up and look for another option just to start my project. My question to you guys if you could help me on this matter is.

1) Is it worth it to buy a car in color white which is my preferred color however the kms is over 200k km, I am considering this since I did some research on few quotes on stripping the paint to metal and the cost was too much for me to start with which ranging from 8-12 grand for an EK hatch or.
2) Should I buy a car with a km clocked at 100-150km stock, decent looked upon by the previous owner however, would still be considering stripping the color to metal to change it to "championship white" considering the amount of cash that I would be spending for a paint job.

I was wondering which way would save me more money since I'd be working on my way slowly on upgrading the car's suspension afterwards and ultimately swapping the engine to a k20 series.

I would like to hear your thought about this one and I would really appreciate if you can give me suggestions.

Cheers guys!

[daan]
16-12-2016, 12:29 PM
hi there

EK's are old, you will be hard pressed to find one around 100-150k and even so you will be doing an engine conversion later on anyway so the amount of k's shouldnt matter.

1) 8-12k is a lot for a paintjob, would be show car spec. i spent a weekend sanding my car back myself with a couple of buddies and saved money on the labor for the paint - you could probably get a job done for less than half your quote

2) again the km's wont matter because you'll be doing an engine conversion, right now it looks like you're more concerned about the color and k's if thats the case just get the cheapest white one you can find (i got mine for $350) but even then if you are going championship white, it doesnt matter what color the car is?

you're ultimately trying to save money for this build, so dont pay too much for a 'supposedly low k's one' as you'll be replacing the driveline, engine and suspension etc anyway so you'll be throwing away half the stuff the car comes with from the start

i only say this as a presumption you have a daily to use while the car is being built...that was my situation anyway...(bought a cheap white one, replaced all the running gear and resprayed white, suspension etc)

3K9
16-12-2016, 05:51 PM
Adding on,

a mint EK, white, under 100 - 150K is hard to come by. I would be more concerned about the condition of the car, whether it has been in any accidents.
If you are planning on engine conversion, and are planning on respray, and would recommend painting the bay first, then the outside. (I did the other way around)

Not sure if repair shops would paint a car that you have sanded to metal.

Ask around for quotes for the respray, 5K for a whole respray including outside, door jams, boot jams, engine bay, is what I paid for my EG.

beeza
16-12-2016, 08:05 PM
Adds up.

I would buy a car that someone else has spent a hesp of cash on for cheap and go/work from there with that I.e. boost,tuning,jdm stylin'

It's all in the tuning. Tuners cars,check these vids lol

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_oUWCzPDEMY

absoluticey
16-12-2016, 09:06 PM
;4007833']hi there

EK's are old, you will be hard pressed to find one around 100-150k and even so you will be doing an engine conversion later on anyway so the amount of k's shouldnt matter.

1) 8-12k is a lot for a paintjob, would be show car spec. i spent a weekend sanding my car back myself with a couple of buddies and saved money on the labor for the paint - you could probably get a job done for less than half your quote

2) again the km's wont matter because you'll be doing an engine conversion, right now it looks like you're more concerned about the color and k's if thats the case just get the cheapest white one you can find (i got mine for $350) but even then if you are going championship white, it doesnt matter what color the car is?

you're ultimately trying to save money for this build, so dont pay too much for a 'supposedly low k's one' as you'll be replacing the driveline, engine and suspension etc anyway so you'll be throwing away half the stuff the car comes with from the start

i only say this as a presumption you have a daily to use while the car is being built...that was my situation anyway...(bought a cheap white one, replaced all the running gear and resprayed white, suspension etc)

yes I am planning to use the car for daily commute while slowly modding my car according to my taste, thanks for your insight on this I really appreciate it, i think I have made my decision which shell for my EK that I would buy, it is still a white base color but a bit high on kms around 198k, thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

absoluticey
16-12-2016, 09:08 PM
Adding on,

a mint EK, white, under 100 - 150K is hard to come by. I would be more concerned about the condition of the car, whether it has been in any accidents.
If you are planning on engine conversion, and are planning on respray, and would recommend painting the bay first, then the outside. (I did the other way around)

Not sure if repair shops would paint a car that you have sanded to metal.

Ask around for quotes for the respray, 5K for a whole respray including outside, door jams, boot jams, engine bay, is what I paid for my EG.

thanks for your response, i'll definitely take note of that

amant02
18-12-2016, 04:22 AM
Saving Money and Project Car do not belong in the same sentence.

I would just buy a piece of shit unregistered broken, if your planning a full rebuild with spray.

Since your asking questions like this, i doubt your going to be doing any of the work.

Respray 5k
Kswap 10K
Suspension + braking + handling easily 5k
Tires and Rims to suit 5k
Chassis cost 1k
Rego 1k
Insurance - 1k
Things going wrong - 3k

As you can see your 30k into a car and your barely JDMasFCUK

now JDM goodies - easily 10K

40K later you will have efame on facebook. Worth? PS: you still will be slow as fcuk as well and stuck in a Honda thats nearly as old as you are.

Lets not forget, if its your daily your gonna have to add the cost of travelling while the car is at chop shop for a spray or in surgery getting a heart transplant.

also note dealing with parts for these cars is now a massive fcuk around, by now you would've realised its either too expensive or doesn't text back.

inb4 i just broke this guys dreams.

amant02
18-12-2016, 04:41 AM
Also note for around 40K you can get many near new sporty cars like the WRX/Golf GTi.

2nd hand market:
R32 GTR goes for like 30K
RX7 30k
All previous generation STis are 25-40k
EVOs - 25k
Golf Rs - 30K
Porches - 30K
S2000 AP2 - 30K

or kswapped Slammed JDMasFCUK EK.....

or the biggest problem for every young male atm deposit for a house.

absoluticey
18-12-2016, 03:47 PM
Saving Money and Project Car do not belong in the same sentence.

I would just buy a piece of shit unregistered broken, if your planning a full rebuild with spray.

Since your asking questions like this, i doubt your going to be doing any of the work.

Respray 5k
Kswap 10K
Suspension + braking + handling easily 5k
Tires and Rims to suit 5k
Chassis cost 1k
Rego 1k
Insurance - 1k
Things going wrong - 3k

As you can see your 30k into a car and your barely JDMasFCUK

now JDM goodies - easily 10K

40K later you will have efame on facebook. Worth? PS: you still will be slow as fcuk as well and stuck in a Honda thats nearly as old as you are.

Lets not forget, if its your daily your gonna have to add the cost of travelling while the car is at chop shop for a spray or in surgery getting a heart transplant.

also note dealing with parts for these cars is now a massive fcuk around, by now you would've realised its either too expensive or doesn't text back.

inb4 i just broke this guys dreams.

I really don't have any problems on spending that much on my ek hatch since one of my mates have done the same overseas loading up his ek sedan with original feels parts from japan which cost him around 30 grand. plus the fact that I am doing this project slowly and I would not splurge a huge amount of cash instantly, I've been on this scene for quite a while now in overseas so I won't be making it rain just solely for my car, i do have to consider my budget on this one since I am paying mortgage on my house as well as my other bills like my other cars insurance and other bills. so yeah you have not broken my dreams and I would not as well buy a golf GT LOL

amant02
22-12-2016, 08:34 PM
yea nah mate.

Your wants and needs change every year.

Sure there is a small amount of people that do builds over time. They are true enthusiasts, who go race track, work on their own cars, have had a few project cars in the past, they don't need the help of interwebs to decide which shitbox chassis they gonna pick.

FYI Golf GTi tops any available Morden Honda Model available in Australia currently. (NSX not included)