PDA

View Full Version : Honda speedo wiring

_666_
12-03-2017, 10:18 PM
I'm about to do an engine conversion with a Honda b16 or B18 into a mini, as part of this I'm looking to use a SiR EG6 speedo,

I want to now what feed into this and from where

I'd like to keep the mini loom and splice the Honda ECU and engine loom into it,

Is this possible or will I need some of the body loom to make it work ?

Or does the ECU connect to the body loom and has nothing to do with the engine loom

If anyone has any wiring diagrams then I'd love to see some also

Thanks

grifty
15-03-2017, 12:49 AM
If you want to keep the mini loom it's probably best to run a EK4 harness then, this harness goes directly to the ECU with the exception of 1 plug which connects to the dash harness. This should be pretty easy to adapt as the dash connector would only be wiring such as warning lights, rpm, speedo, starter signal, 12v+ etc...

_666_
15-03-2017, 02:53 AM
If you want to keep the mini loom it's probably best to run a EK4 harness then, this harness goes directly to the ECU with the exception of 1 plug which connects to the dash harness. This should be pretty easy to adapt as the dash connector would only be wiring such as warning lights, rpm, speedo, starter signal, 12v+ etc...

So this is the civic EK5 engine harness we are talking about ? I would imagine the only thing the dash cluster would need would be the petrol sender feed for the gauge, ignition + 12v for the engine, and that's it I guess

grifty
18-03-2017, 01:03 AM
Yeah pretty much. I also forgot there's a plug on the drivers side of the car as well that goes to the cabin. Will try to take some pics for you.

Dxs
25-03-2017, 09:03 PM
Basically B series come in OBD0 (early 90s), OBD1 (mid 90s) and OBD2 (late 90s+) ecus. OBD1 is the best if you want to go a custom tune.

So basically an ecu will have plugs into it, and those plugs goto sensors of the engine. The Vehicle Speed Sensor is in the gearbox and gives out the speed, which goes to the ecu, then from memeory goes from ecu to the cluster/speedo.

If you want to use the mini loom, you will need to get a honda loom, and cut all the plugs off for the sensors and then use the wires from the mini loom to connect the sensors to the ecu. I would say just use a honda loom and shorten/extend the wires where necessary.

For wiring diagrams, google for honda workshop manuals for the cars you plan to get the engine from... they are produced by honda and show wiring diagrams, including pin outs of the ecu. Pretty much all 90's hondas are fairly similar with their ecu's and wiring setup.. a handful of differences depending on car and what sensors are on the engine.

google 'honda obd1 pinout' etc too..

i dont know shit about mini installs.. but intuatively i would get the whole engine and dash loom and fuse boxes from the donor honda.. and basically remove everything not needed.. like AC etc.. and then just install it all into the mini.