PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice "thinking of buying Euro"

Bruster
21-04-2005, 09:51 AM
Hi guys,

Im new here, im been a fan of the euro since it came out but didnt buy it because of the price.

Instead i ended buying a Vectra CDXI V6 with all the bells and whistle, mind you i bought this second hand at the auctions and for a really cheap price.
The thing is the kms are starting to climb and value decreasing and im now looking at the Euro...

The problem i have is im now used to the bells and wistles eg. leather seats and heated seats.

What i was wondering do you know if the Honda dealers would add leather option on the base Euro if requested? I think the Luxury version is way out of my budget and some dealers are offering driveway deals on the base model.

Let me know your thoughts or experience with honda dealers.

cheers
Bruster

sugapopcandy
21-04-2005, 10:14 AM
hi bruster, welcome to the forums
the euro is a top car!
not 100% sure if honda would put in the leather goods for u but if they did, they will charge you an arm and a leg. lol

baboo
21-04-2005, 10:19 AM
Bruster, welcome!

You should able to get low Kay Luxury Euro at the price of the new base Euro.

it's got all bells and wistles that you need

industrie
21-04-2005, 10:43 AM
the best thing is to just go to different dealers...suss it out...talk to them about things...and see whats available...that way you can then determine if they have everything you want within your budget

nEUROtic
21-04-2005, 12:18 PM
Your worried about depreciation and yet you want to spend $$$ on leather interior, thats hardly gonna be a worthwhile investment. I got the standard because your right, the luxury price isnt good value. Personally I think leather is a bitch to keep clean newayz. As for heated seats, I mean come on. Who gets into a car and goes "Ohh man this seat is cold!!" I think the dual climate control in the standard more than compensates for this. If your cold, wear a jumper :P

baboo
21-04-2005, 12:25 PM
If your cold, wear a jumper :P

LOL!! I like your thinking

ABS121
21-04-2005, 12:27 PM
No they wont add leather afterwards primairly because the seats have side airbags installed.

As for nEUROtic comments about the luxury not being "good Value" i dont think so buddy....

Xenon headlights with washers
Curtain airbags
fog lights
17 inch wheels
sunroof
heated electric leather seats
Rain sensing wipers

more than worth the extra $$$ i think. if you want a luxury car you buy the luxury model, if you cant afford the extra $$$ you buy the standard, its that simple.

The Xenon lights and extra airbags in my opinion are reason enough.

baboo
21-04-2005, 12:48 PM
Yes, Extra airbags are the reason I opted for Luxury.

nEUROtic
21-04-2005, 12:50 PM
Do u seriously need 6 air bags? 10 years ago we had none.
Headlights could be fitted aftermarket
Fog lights are an accesory
Mags can be aftermarket
Sunroof admittedly is cool
Heated seats, nuff said
Rain sensing wipers? Yeh that wiper arm is notoriously hard to reach, how about turn sensing indicators.

In 2 years the resale on luxury and standards wont be seperated by the price u spent between them.

ABS121
21-04-2005, 12:52 PM
Like i said:

if you want a luxury car you buy the luxury model,
if you cant afford the extra $$$ you buy the standard

yfin
21-04-2005, 01:49 PM
Like i said:

if you want a luxury car you buy the luxury model,
if you cant afford the extra $$$ you buy the standard

It isn't always whether you can "afford" the luxury. I had the money for the lux but decided to go standard. You get 99% of the car for $6000 less. The lux is good value but the difference needs to be justified - I would prefer to spend $6000 on a home theatre (projector, surround, etc).

The cars drive the same and the base has a good level of creature comforts.

It is all relative to what your needs are. The lux is a better buy now you get 17" rims.

nEUROtic
21-04-2005, 02:09 PM
And since I work in Home Theatre, and recently purchased the above items, I agree with yfin :)

as001
21-04-2005, 02:13 PM
If u spend a lot time on the road (in the car) and if you afford it the lux is in my opinion is good option, I always wanted leather interior and HID's but each to there own, plus if you use for your car for work purpose tax deductions are slightly better as well all depends on what you want i must admit i thought really hard about the base model vs lux but extra features got me...

coladuna
21-04-2005, 07:05 PM
If you can't afford a brand new one, try and get a luxury one privately.
When I saw the standard Euro, it just turned me off because it just doesn't have the same abience without the leather seats.

Also, once you drive with HID headlights, you'll find it very difficult and frustrating to drive cars without them because the difference is like day and night.

Standard euro also doesn't have the same airy feeling without the sunroof.
I'm certainly glad I have one because they are great for cool autumn/winter weather.

coladuna
21-04-2005, 07:11 PM
Mags can be aftermarket
Heated seats, nuff said
Rain sensing wipers? Yeh that wiper arm is notoriously hard to reach, how about turn sensing indicators.

In 2 years the resale on luxury and standards wont be seperated by the price u spent between them.

Firstly, you can't fit aftermarket HID headlights legally.
Fog lights cost a fortune if you buy it separately.
I haven't used my heated seats yet because I bought my car in September.
I think it'll come in very handy during cold season especially at night.
I've been in a car with heated seat in a very cold country (sub zero temp) and it was very pleasant.
Rain sensing wipers are handy because you don't have to adjust the speed all the time.

The way you are thinking, you could basically say every single feature in the car is useless. Central locking? who needs it when you can just go and open it yourself? Remote entry? Who needs it when you are going to walk over to the car anyway to get in the car?

It's all about that little extra creature comfort. If you can't afford it or don't need it. That's fine by people who owns luxury euro. lol

bigdongers
21-04-2005, 07:23 PM
The Honda dealer I go to has retrimmed a standard Euro in leather for $2000. Can be done.

albii
21-04-2005, 07:42 PM
When I saw the standard Euro, it just turned me off because it just doesn't have the same abience without the leather seats.

Standard euro also doesn't have the same airy feeling without the sunroof.
I'm certainly glad I have one because they are great for cool autumn/winter weather.
what a load of crap..............maybe if you say the cream cloth doesnt look good i would agree but the black cloth looks supurb....i think the point iam making is dont slag the standard euro...........everything else in the car is the same.......but if i had the option any of the luxury extras all i would want is the leather as the blue fake wood looks repulsive and sunroof were all the rage in the 90s ....and didnt need the 17s as i would have put 18s regardless...the only real way to individualise the euro is to change the wheels anyway..

LOC888
21-04-2005, 07:55 PM
IMO it all depends on how much u wanna spend... if you can afford it, def go the luxury, otherwise standard is just as good, minus a few comforts...

PNR888
21-04-2005, 09:10 PM
Hi all, I share the same views as yfin and coladuna. But I have to say, Euro Standard is also very good value for money. And for extra $7000 something dollars, you get all those extra features to top up comfort and safety levels make Lux model even more attractive.

Like Albii said, the bluish grey fake woodtrim come with lux black interior is not my type of colour nor pattern. I actually prefer std's metallic silver penal. But because of other extra features in lux suited my need. so that's why I opted lux model.

In my opinion, when deciding std or lux, it is NOT about whether u can afford it or not. It is about whether if you need those features or not.
I am sure apart from our highly acclaimed Euro, there are still lots of good quality cars out there. We can't just call other cars apart from our own cars shit-house. agree? therefore, std and lux ppl should not critise on other's needs and choice. we should respect each other, as we all made good decision on purchasing Euros.

Back to your Q, Bruster, If you seriously consider doing lots of modification later on, then go for the std model. because if money is no object, then u can put almost everything you want on car. eg, multi-colour leather seats, full size sunroof, 18" or 19" or maybe 20" wheels...etc. but mind you, I doubt if aftermarket airbag and air curtain are available yet.

hey, let us know your final decision. and welcome to the forum.

baboo
21-04-2005, 10:03 PM
I'd say if you are modding the car, go for standard.

I picked the wrong car to start with...:(

Pum[Z]
21-04-2005, 11:25 PM
There's nothin wrong wif modding the euro with the luxury variant baboo...:D

Most of the difference between the luxury and the standard is in the interior of the car...

Well $6000 - $7000 is a lot of difference between the standard and the luxury euro's...

As the guys have stated before there are numerous additions that the luxury has to justify the price.. Yes u probably could do all the features aftermarket but then what about warranty & the hassles of getting this and that installed...

In the end i chose the luxury coz of xenon, leather, and sunroof... All the others were a bonus.. Heated seats?? Well u can fart to keep the seat warm right???

yfin
22-04-2005, 10:58 AM
']There's nothin wrong wif modding the euro with the luxury variant baboo...:D

But - if you track the car like Baboo (not many people do) - I am sure you would appreciate a car that weighs 40kg less.

baboo
22-04-2005, 11:35 AM
Exactly.

And sunroof isn't helping the rigidity of the car either!

But all in all, Luxury Euro has it's place on the market..Most Euro I've seen running around are Lux version. It's a nice alternative to entry level BMW 318s or Merc 180.

bigdongers
22-04-2005, 12:08 PM
Its simple. If you can afford and want to spend extra on the Luxury. If you cant afford to or don't want to spend extra, go the standard. both are great cars!

PNR888
22-04-2005, 01:13 PM
'] Heated seats?? Well u can fart to keep the seat warm right???

Personally I found this feature very useful, I actually use it a lot esp in winter. Due to my occupation and age :( , My back isn't good at all :( , so after a long day work, I always look forward to sit on the heated seat on the way home. Give my back a free heat therapy. Sometimes I use it on the way to work too, give my back a bit of warm up before I start working.

It will be even better if :honda: driver's seat got built-in massage feature.

coladuna
22-04-2005, 06:48 PM
what a load of crap..............maybe if you say the cream cloth doesnt look good i would agree but the black cloth looks supurb....i think the point iam making is dont slag the standard euro...........everything else in the car is the same.......but if i had the option any of the luxury extras all i would want is the leather as the blue fake wood looks repulsive and sunroof were all the rage in the 90s ....and didnt need the 17s as i would have put 18s regardless...the only real way to individualise the euro is to change the wheels anyway..

load of crap just because you don't agree? haha
grow up, kid.
Yes, I found the weird velvet-like material very revolting. Also, they are very easy to trap lints and dirts. That's my preference and has nothing to do with what you think, so I suggest you shut your hole.
obviously, I found that extra features in luxury euro were worth the extra cost and you didn't think so or your budget was under the price of luxury euro.
To me, it just doesn't feel right without the leather. It's like driving a BMW or Mercedes with cloth seats.

yfin
22-04-2005, 06:53 PM
Relax fellas. People are entitled to their opinion - Albii - best not to say other peoples views are "crap"- just state your view.

Coladuna - you could also use more restraint with your choice of words in response.

lets move along and not turn this into a slanging match.

nEUROtic
22-04-2005, 06:55 PM
Despite my previous comments I would have to agree. If you can afford it and you want it, go for it! I dont think we would defend our choices to the death, I'd f*ck the honda off for a ferrari quicker than you can say VTEC.

Also - crap

EuroAccord13
23-04-2005, 12:49 AM
Same with Yfin, I wanted the Luxo model but.......

The main reason I didn't buy the Luxury model because weight is important to me....

Each to their own opinions......

Anyway Bruster, it's really up to you :)

albii
23-04-2005, 07:46 AM
load of crap just because you don't agree? haha
grow up, kid.
Yes, I found the weird velvet-like material very revolting. Also, they are very easy to trap lints and dirts. That's my preference and has nothing to do with what you think, so I suggest you shut your hole.
obviously, I found that extra features in luxury euro were worth the extra cost and you didn't think so or your budget was under the price of luxury euro.
To me, it just doesn't feel right without the leather. It's like driving a BMW or Mercedes with cloth seats.
all iam saying is how can you say the standard euro isn't the same?? yes i would have loved leather dont get me wrong, but $7000 diff i couldn't see the value...maybe if they optioned the standard euro with leather for an extra $2500 they would sell shitloads....oh and yes iam very grown up and possibly bigger than you so i suggest you need to rethink what you type next time or shut your own hole....haha don't compare bmw and merc with it.

albii
23-04-2005, 07:54 AM
Mags can be aftermarket
Heated seats, nuff said

In 2 years the resale on luxury and standards wont be seperated by the price u spent between them.exactly ...here in brisbane i see standards going for $33-34 grand with 20000 km and luxury $36-38 grand with the same km

yfin
23-04-2005, 08:51 AM
Albii - I don't care who is bigger than who. Your comment to Coladuna isn't constructive.

I asked you both to move along and let it go. Lets keep things pleasant.

Coladuna - let it go - it is not worth a response.

UNLS1
23-04-2005, 09:02 AM
we have cutsomers that want leather in civics for eg.we can do it, it cost around 2 -2.5k....but most of the time i just say to them get it done aftermarket as it will be cheaper for them and they can shop around
but dont tell my boss i said that lol

coladuna
24-04-2005, 11:08 AM
Whoever said that Luxury and Standard is going to cost the same when you come to sell it really doesn't have a clue. IMO, buying luxury is worth much more than buying standard and modding it. You are never going to recoup the money you spend on modifications when you come to sell it but Luxury will always be worth more than standard.

** YFIN Edit - Coladuna - we don't need any personal insults in this thread or forum. Albii same applies to you - no subtle threats or insults***

euro77
24-04-2005, 11:54 AM
Looks like this thread is a candidate for closing.

I hope Bruster's made up his mind about whether to get luxury or standard euro. If you want the luxurious feel, save up more, then go hunting for bargains. Maybe even buy demo luxury car, they sometimes drop the price as it can be taken away almost straight away (dealer gets money faster).

euro77
24-04-2005, 11:58 AM
Actually, I think there's someone here in the forum working in a honda dealer, and his signature said "PM me if you need new Honda" (or something like that). might worth asking him.

yfin
24-04-2005, 12:15 PM
Whoever said that Luxury and Standard is going to cost the same when you come to sell it really doesn't have a clue. IMO, buying luxury is worth much more than buying standard and modding it. You are never going to recoup the money you spend on modifications when you come to sell it but Luxury will always be worth more than standard.

I think that is right - but the gap between the lux and standard will get closer over time on the second hand market - eg in 5 years it might be $1500 difference between the two models on the second hand market. In 10 years - $1000 or less, etc. So the same logic applies - you might not get back what you paid extra for the lux model.

albii
24-04-2005, 12:58 PM
I think that is right - but the gap between the lux and standard will get closer over time on the second hand market - eg in 5 years it might be $1500 difference between the two models on the second hand market. In 10 years - $1000 or less, etc. So the same logic applies - you might not get back what you paid extra for the lux model.
just what i said..........the diff will become less the more you own them.....and that needs to be taken into consideration when buying new because not all of us have money to throw away.

Catcha
24-04-2005, 02:14 PM
I think the word your looking for is depreciation Plus if you were to go to redbook and compare prices for a 2003 Euro ...standard Vs Lux The Gap is a steady 5g and will obviously go down as the years move along.

You can do up a standard Euro up to a luxury spec, sure it may cost less, but then when you put both cars side by side and sell it, which car do you think is going to fetch a higher price? It will be the factor Luxury, not the standard Euro done up .
Its like comparing a Holden SS and HSV Clubsport....WRX-STI why the 10g difference sure you can spend the 10g on the standard one and blown the crap out of the big brother. Obviously there is a reason why there are two models just like the Euro.

It's quite sad to read the honda enthusiast of the same model bag out each or need to justify the need not to buy a higher model or to stick with standard or vice versa.

coladuna
25-04-2005, 01:00 PM
just what i said..........the diff will become less the more you own them.....and that needs to be taken into consideration when buying new because not all of us have money to throw away.

You don't need to be a genius to figure out that the difference will become less as the cars get older. geez haha
Every cars are like that if you didn't realise.
A BMW 5 series that costs 100K+ won't always cost 60K+ more than the euro, will it? It's not rocket science, dude.

aaronng
25-04-2005, 01:30 PM
See if you really want the lux features. If you do, then get it. If you can live without it, then go for the base model. As the other said, for a car with a 7k gap between the lux and base models, by the time you reach 3 years, the gap is $4600-5000 and by 6 years, $2800-3000.

Get it based on what you want, not based on resale value, because there will be only a small difference.

In 2004, I would have said, go base model. But with the 2005 model, the lux has the sweet 17" rims/tyres. If I bought in 2005, even I would have gone lux.

albii
25-04-2005, 03:08 PM
You don't need to be a genius to figure out that the difference will become less as the cars get older. geez haha
Every cars are like that if you didn't realise.
A BMW 5 series that costs 100K+ won't always cost 60K+ more than the euro, will it? It's not rocket science, dude.
no..rocket science has to do with rockets..

Villainous_J
25-04-2005, 03:34 PM
hey all, just joined up and thought I'd add my two cents. I just ordered a new Euro (pick up thursday) and I can't recommend it highly enough. I've had a Commodore the last year and I can really appreciate the total package Honda have put together in this car and every review I read just adds more praise to the product. Tractability of the engine at low speeds, the slick 6 speed, point and shoot steering; it's all good!

Just my two cent's all

... just gotta find me a car club to really enjoy it now...

albii
25-04-2005, 03:46 PM
wecome dude and enjoy what is truly an accomplished car.

EuroAccord13
25-04-2005, 04:23 PM
hey all, just joined up and thought I'd add my two cents. I just ordered a new Euro (pick up thursday) and I can't recommend it highly enough. I've had a Commodore the last year and I can really appreciate the total package Honda have put together in this car and every review I read just adds more praise to the product. Tractability of the engine at low speeds, the slick 6 speed, point and shoot steering; it's all good!

Just my two cent's all

... just gotta find me a car club to really enjoy it now...

Welcome, make an intro at the introduction page :)

Euro05
25-04-2005, 11:01 PM
I'm also new here and i say go for it. I've had my euro for 2 months today and i can't recomend it highly enough. It's just a fantastic car, everything about it has been thought through and it all works so well together, gotta love that i-vtec!! Buy one and enjoy it :)

aaronng
26-04-2005, 08:09 AM
Woo hoo! More new members to the Euro club. Welcome!!! :D