PDA

View Full Version : Delay starting car

lexuan
08-06-2017, 11:12 PM
Hey guys,

So I have this weird problem, that when I turn the key to start my car, after the click, there is like a slight 1-3 second delay before the car actually cranks and starts.
Not sure if it is my starter motor or something else electrical, but I've checked my grounds to make sure they're all tight and my battery actually went flat a few days ago,
I replaced the battery and it was fine for a few days but then it started happening again.

Oh and I had replaced the starter motor about 1.5 years ago to a reconditioned one and when I had first got it, they said they had put in
a bigger starter solenoid and it would start abnormally fast like you wouldn't hear a crank, it would just fire up, but overtime it didn't start as fast and started like what a normal starter motor would do,
and now this happens, so maybe it is slowing down or something..? idk LOL!

Its not really a big deal but its starting to get to me day by day, making me think my battery is flat haha,
just wondering if anyone can shed some light on this.
Any input is appreciated!

Thanks!

Here is the video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4O3NfWJhMM&feature=youtu.be

beeza
09-06-2017, 07:21 AM
That's so weird.Subscribed.

lexuan
09-06-2017, 04:11 PM
i know right? hahaha

TypeS
09-06-2017, 08:23 PM
If the start was fine with a new battery, then it could be the alternator failing to fully recharge the battery
Test the alternator, there are plenty of guides on google

amant02
09-06-2017, 09:41 PM
Fuel Pump? Is it priming the fuel properly?

Richard B
10-06-2017, 12:53 AM
Is the Alternator charging OK?

Also, could this be an immobiliser relay playing up?

SHOGUNOVDDRK
10-06-2017, 03:28 AM
I'd go with the ignition switch.

If it's not a fuel pump or alternator issue.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

beeza
10-06-2017, 06:56 AM
They are all worth checking.Follow the you tube guides and take it too an auto electrician if you get stuck.

lexuan
13-06-2017, 04:36 PM
I have replaced the immobiliser receiver, but no luck, and tested the alternator, but it seems to be working and charging fine.
It isn't showing any symptoms of a bad ignition switch.

My next suspect would be the fuel pump, I hear it prime most of the time but sometimes it doesn't, however this might just be my ears,
Very rarely I think I also hear my fuel pump whine, like somethings vibrating and I did notice a drop of mileage a while ago haha!
When its low fuel like 1-2 bars it would be slow to start after its been sitting a while, but once i drive it, its back to normal, almost like it needs to be lubricated or something LOL!

Can a fuel pump be priming slow?
Because if I turn the key to reds and wait a bit, for it to prime, I don't get the delay as much

Thank you all for the replies, appreciated!

lexuan
13-06-2017, 05:47 PM
Also, will a walbro 255LPH affect my fuel pressure and make my car run richer? (do i need a fuel pressure regulator if so?)
Or can I just swap it in without any modifications at all, or should I just get some aftermarket replacement.

Stock dc2r btw, just bolt ons i/h/e

Thanks again

RenzokukenJ
13-06-2017, 08:39 PM
Can you try a different starter motor?

RenzokukenJ
13-06-2017, 08:40 PM
Can you try a different starter motor?

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

Richard B
14-06-2017, 10:11 AM
Tricky one!

If you put a volt meter across the battery, when do you see the voltage drop upon starting? My reasoning here is that if the only drop you see is after the starter solenoid engages (click), your starter is OK and you won't have to worry about that end of it. Apologies if this is way too obvious.

Fuel pressure and main relay are your main suspects now. Do a quick and dirty check like this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdpP4wxBvpA

Compared to other brands 90's Honda's start very quickly, and part of that I think is that there is good fuel pressure available almost immediately.

Also check Eric's videos on main relay analysis and proper fuel pressure testing with a gauge.

lexuan
14-06-2017, 03:52 PM
Thanks Richard!
I will definitely check that out!

amant02
15-06-2017, 11:38 PM
Changing to a bigger fuel pump will not require a tune.

The pressure seen by the engine is controlled by fuel pressure regulator. The pump pressure is only up to the fuel pressure reg. 255 is a weak pump and the OEM fuel pressure regs should handle this.

I have a easier test to determine fuel pressure, its not 100%. Dont start the car, just keep on turning the key on and off position on the key. If its the pump it will sound funny, if the sound is consistent its all g.

My fuel pump got louder and made unusual sounds before it died. Took it a few months to die, but it died eventually. Other symptoms are rough idle and stalling when taking off in 1st.

ECU-MAN
16-06-2017, 07:17 AM
3 things can cause this delay in your situation here

1. as mentioned the ignition switch, but I doubt it

2. the aftermarket immobiliser

3. the factory immobiliser.

Unfortunately your video does not show what the green key is doing on the cluster however 5 seconds into the video you can hear a non standard tone complete then the starter cranks, what is making the noise ? head unit or aftermarket immo ?. I suspect the aftermarket immobiliser is causing the delay. You can check this by dropping the drivers dash cover and inspect the wiring to it (the control unit that is making the blue LED flash). You may find it splices into the ignition switch wiring mainly the stater wire (solid white from memory). If so get a simple test light connect one side to ground and the other to the start wire from the ignition switch before the aftermarket immo unit, you should see 12v immediately. Then do the same on the other side of the start wire after the aftermarket immo unit you should see the delay. If you see the delay on both sides then its the factory immobiliser control unit or the factory starter cut relay.

Do the above test and go from there, Your battery, starter, main relay and fuel pump are fine and cannot cause the delay shown in your video.

amant02
16-06-2017, 05:31 PM
This kunt is the smartest kunt on mordern day ozhonda. He should be our president.

beeza
16-06-2017, 05:41 PM
And a GREAT guy to boot who genuinely cares.Yup ozhonda would be lacking if is wasn't for this man.

If we could still see our reputation,I'm pretty sure John was/is at God status.

But John you have had the same avatar for 13 years now!! ;) nah beavis and butthead are the sh*t.

lexuan
16-06-2017, 11:20 PM
Yep he has fixed some of my problems before, great guy!
The unusual sound at 5 seconds is my dashcam haha

I think you might be right, you just saved me $1xx on a fuel pump HAHA
I will definitely try this out!

Thanks ECUMAN