PDA

View Full Version : Coolant temp sensor faulty?

DSoulCRX
11-07-2017, 05:09 PM
So ive started diagnosing and tidying the car up. Got a code 6 which is coolant temp sensor. Ive tested the one under the dizzy which i am lead to believe is the one that trips codes. It works fine.
the issue i seem to be having is the temp gauge never really gets hot it sits around 1/4 i pulled the sensor out of the thermostat which is for the fans i understand and i cant get any kind of reading out of it with a multimeter. Is it stuffed? Could this also be a reason for a code 6?
I did notice the fans switch on fairly often and stay on for quite a while. Thanks for your help

beeza
12-07-2017, 07:15 AM
Swap that sensor over,by the time you get an answer here,you'll have a definitive answer there . Also check thermostat is working properly. YouTube vids ftw

DSoulCRX
12-07-2017, 08:43 AM
Yeah checked last night thermostat is working and i tested the fan switch at too low of a temperature needs to be basically boiling water for it to be activated. Gauge is still staying cold ill check the gauge sender and wiring tonight after work

beeza
12-07-2017, 08:48 AM
Sounds like your onto it mate,good one!

Just when ya think ya know the ins and out of ya car,something else always seems to pop up to keep you on your toes!

DSoulCRX
12-07-2017, 11:01 AM
Yeah aint that true been working on cars for nearly 10 years but you always learn something new

beeza
12-07-2017, 01:31 PM
Sometimes you feel you can do without the headache but it seems if it wasn't for the odd curve ball we would probably get bored with our hobby,so best to just embrace it lol

What cars have you worked on in the past?

DSoulCRX
12-07-2017, 05:01 PM
My evo has been what ive worked on most, I also used to have a 180sx and my previous track hack was a e36 coupe.

For those interested i checked the gauge wiring and the gauge works well.
Tested the sensor and i believe its done for room temp 18oC 1595ohm resistance 85-90oC water 145ohms so a working or new sensor should hopefully fix that issue.

beeza
12-07-2017, 05:08 PM
A nice array of cars there mate . Good luck with the del sol,post some more pics of it please.