PDA

View Full Version : Rattles in the Back Shelf

97civic_daz
13-01-2004, 12:55 AM
Hey fellas,

I have 6*9 focal polyglass speakers in the rear of my car which make a fair bit of bass.

My question to you is "has anyone experienced any rattles in the back left hand side of the car (when sitting in the back seat and looking towards the front)?"

I have a 1997 civic sedan BTW. Has anyone had the same problem? If so how have you fixed it (obviously by taking the back shelf out), Did you find what the problem was?

Hope this makes sence to you all,

ShOrTy

A'PEXi
13-01-2004, 02:37 AM
uhh the number plate rattles if your bass is up :P.. dunno if thats what your talkin bout but thats the only rattle sounds i get

[[d a n n y]]
13-01-2004, 08:16 AM
bolt the interior plastic bits tightly...

VTEC16
13-01-2004, 10:58 AM
iv got 6X9s in the factory locations and a 12" sub in the boot....i get LOTS of rattles from everywhere!!!

every time a tighten the shit up, it helps a fair amount....but within a week its back to the full on rattling again!!

:(

....iv given up......the rattles now 'add' to the music! :( :(

Dr4g0n
13-01-2004, 12:02 PM
bah, you wanna hear rattles?? sit in my eg....door trims wanna fall off from the bass outta the splits, the next are from the sub: rearview mirror not viewable, boot rattles, stop lamp on rear shelf rattles (loudly!), number plate rattles, you get the picture...

euro77
13-01-2004, 03:31 PM
one way to reduce the rattle in the boot is to sound deaden the boot, but only if the panel is rattling. if the number plate is rattling, use foam instead to stop it.

vti-2
13-01-2004, 06:16 PM
I still can't work out which part is rattling? Is it your parcel shelf? The rear quarter panel? The boot?

The best thing to do is work out the EXACT location of the rattle and sound deaden that spot. You could use sound deadening sheets from Dynamat or G-Spot which are basically 'peel and stick'. Or you could apply paint or spray-on stuff like the blue RF stuff.

If you want to go all the way, strip out your car and sound deaden the whole thing, lay foam padding under your parcel shelf, deaden your boot lid, stick more foam insert behind and around the tail light area and chuck some weather proof foam behind the number plate.

No more rattles! :D

honda_fanatic
13-01-2004, 08:15 PM
Hey guys, while were on audio, do u guys prefer a set of 6x9's, or a 8 inch 3-way, cos personally, i dont like 6x9's. APparently there not even supposed to b used for bass????
ANy thoughts?

armak81
13-01-2004, 10:46 PM
check your rear parcel shelf... make sure its aligned and all the clips are secured... i had a sqeaky noise from the rear... it was the rear parcel shelf
hope this helps

Dr4g0n
13-01-2004, 10:55 PM
honda fanatic:

generally an ideal setup is a set of 6"(or there abouts) splits up front, a sub in the boot (12" will do), an amp for each. if you have passengers in the back sometimes, get a set of basic coaxials (5" or 6") and have em running off your head unit.

this brings the sound to the front (when you go to a concert, you don't have the music coming from behind you do you). your mid bass is taken care of by the splits, the low bass and rumble is coming from the sub. when you have a powerful sub and amp combo, your rear speakers will have pressure against em from the sub, so they won't sound clear anywayz.

and no, 6x9's sound like ass. when you hear a proper setup you'll throw your 6x9's in the bin.

but then again, each to their own...each person has their own listening preferences and at the end of the day, what you think sounds good counts..

ah789454
14-01-2004, 08:58 AM
hey boy tell me how much does earthing correctly affect the sound system. cos my friend has two amps that are earthed at the same point and there a horrible loud buzzing coming from the speakers. the sound was set up like this b4 wen he had a sony head unit (there was only a little buzzn) and now that he's got an alpine H.U its gottn heaps worse.

another thing how could i get rid of the buzz altogether. cos im putting the sound in my car soon and i dont wanna get that buzzn sound

euro77
14-01-2004, 11:37 AM
The buzzn sound is probably an engine noise. meaning the installation was not done properly, and his power cable may intersect or located close to the speaker cables.

The grounding also affects this, if head unit and amp both grounded properly, shouldn't have a buzzn noise (unless problems as above exists).

Dr4g0n
14-01-2004, 12:14 PM
ya, what he said...i have my rca's/speaker cables running down the drivers side and the power cables running down the passenger side.

the buzzing might have gotten louder coz the alpine's rca outputs could have a higher voltage output than the old sony.

try bolting one of the amp groundings to another location on the car (doesn't have to be too far away, just somewhere near the other)

ah789454
14-01-2004, 12:33 PM
the RCAs are on the drivers side and the power is on the other. although the remote is running with the RCAs.

thank for the help

he use a california gold amp kit to wire the sound system. could it also be shyte wires???

vti-2
14-01-2004, 02:03 PM
Please keep this on topic.

If you have a different problem, post in the A/V section for more specific help. thanks.

97civic_daz
16-01-2004, 10:33 PM
Update:

Thanks for the help! i took out the back shelf and like a couiple of people said, sound deadened the back

got rid of most of the rattling (ran out of foam and still need to do number plate and a little bit of the back shelf)

cheers for the help,

ShOrTy

andrew84tran
09-07-2004, 02:06 AM
would any body be able to provide a guide or some suggestions as how to tighten the bolts (e.g. back seats, doors, boot etc) yourself?

I have the same problem. I just bought a 2000 civic sedan recently with 6x9s in the back..everytime i pump the thing, my door (somewhere near the tab) rattles like crazy! including the backseat..

ive heard people talk about tightening the "shit" up. how do i do this exactly!

excuse the n00bieness..hehe..my first car