PDA

View Full Version : Notice of Site Closure - Wednesday 1 May 2019 @ 9PM AEST

wynode
25-03-2019, 08:22 PM
It has now been over 15 years since Ozhonda was first setup and started serving the Australian Honda community. After much consideration around the effort and costs of maintaining the site, the decision has been made to to close it down over the next month. Intent will be to keep the site in read only format as of Wednesday 1 May 2019 @ 9 PM AEST with the site closing (ie content not accessible) from the 1 June 2019 (subject to costs of hosting).

The success of the site would not have been possible without the dedication of members, moderators and financial support of traders and sponsors. I would like to extend a sincere thank you to all of you over the years. It has been a very rewarding experience seeing the community grow over the years, in particular the large amount of information shared amongst the community, but the time has now come to draw things to a close.

sahba
27-03-2019, 02:55 AM
Almost none of my projects would have been possible without Ozhonda. Thanks for everything.

Muckafutha
30-03-2019, 11:25 AM
Wow can’t believe it’s been 15 years. Was doing a search for old posts and decided to come in here.

Saw lots of familiar names from yesteryear. Sad to see Ozhonda go. But glad of all the friendships created from here.

Thanks for everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fredoops
01-04-2019, 09:37 PM
Is it possible to contribute/crow-fund the hosting? Some of the guys would be happy to crow-fund hosting costs?

Even though site hasnt much activity it's still a very good source of info as an archive.

...failing that can the vBulletin be made available as a file so they can be archived?

RenzokukenJ
02-04-2019, 03:10 AM
good this site was shit anyway

TRaNz
02-04-2019, 05:41 AM
Yeah, seems like I've been here for some time, was super helpful.

Agree with Fred on this one, perhaps we can archive some good DIYs and threads that have great info for future reference?

ITEAZR
03-04-2019, 10:22 AM
It has now been over 15 years since Ozhonda was first setup and started serving the Australian Honda community. After much consideration around the effort and costs of maintaining the site, the decision has been made to to close it down over the next month. Intent will be to keep the site in read only format as of Wednesday 16 April 2019 with the site closing (ie content not accessible) from the 1 June 2019 (subject to costs of hosting).

The success of the site would not have been possible without the dedication of members, moderators and financial support of traders and sponsors. I would like to extend a sincere thank you to all of you over the years. It has been a very rewarding experience seeing the community grow over the years, in particular the large amount of information shared amongst the community, but the time has now come to draw things to a close.

Hey Wynode,

Can you please inbox me, ur inbox is full.

a few of us may be interested in taking over the site.

stalis
04-04-2019, 09:03 AM
how much to keep the site up and running? im sure people would love to chip in to keep it going, myself included

ITEAZR
05-04-2019, 08:44 AM
how much to keep the site up and running? im sure people would love to chip in to keep it going, myself included

i have a few others keen on this idea bro.

EKVTIR-T
07-04-2019, 10:18 PM
Ah so he finally comes back to close the site

ad revenue $ must have dropped below site costs lol

nice one Wynode

EKVTIR-T
07-04-2019, 10:19 PM
Is it possible to contribute/crow-fund the hosting? Some of the guys would be happy to crow-fund hosting costs?

Even though site hasnt much activity it's still a very good source of info as an archive.

...failing that can the vBulletin be made available as a file so they can be archived?A lot of Honda groups use the DIYs from here even nowadays. It's a worthwhile resource to keep online

amant02
08-04-2019, 12:07 AM
Or he can sell up and let someone else who is willing to lose money to keep this going for another generation.

Ill even say it out in the open ill offer 2 grand if he sells the site and all intellectual property of ozhonda to me. Im negotiable if his greedy.

Meet me for a coffee and chat. I have a few grand spare at the moment, before i decide to upgrade my AC system to a 14kW system for my house (missus is putting me under pressure)

infurNOS
08-04-2019, 10:06 AM
From user ace300:

OK, so now I have the attention of all the moderators and super-moderators of this site, I had previously sent a message to other members which has since had no reply.

I am formally announcing the desire to take over the hosting of this forum.

My name is Glenn, and I am an Australian. I own a company which has a paid hosting account per month with unlimited data transfer and sufficient data space to host this sites resources. I would like to discuss with the relevant people involved in this site to discuss continuing the presence of this site (basically to take over hosting).

I do believe this resource is still quite active, with almost daily posts still being entered. It would be considered in my mind to be so wasteful if to be discarded for various reasons and not limited to; that many of the sites original discoverers or moderators, et,al, may have simply lost interest, or moved on to other makes or models.

Finally, I feel this resource should continue, as others have also stated, for the betterment of continued guidance and reference for present and future users,

Looking forward to hearing from someone within the administrative group soon.

Kind regards,

Glenn

Fredoops
08-04-2019, 06:46 PM
Had anyone managed to get in touch with Wynode?

ITEAZR
08-04-2019, 06:54 PM
Had anyone managed to get in touch with Wynode?

No reply from wynode

Richard B
08-04-2019, 10:35 PM
Jesus you guys.. I go away for a couple of months and look what I've come back to.

Anyhooo, shirley if hosting fees are the problem we can sort that out.

grifty
09-04-2019, 07:15 PM
I'll also pitch in some $ if required to keep this place going

infurNOS
10-04-2019, 10:32 AM
This is too much of an information knowledge base to just close down
https://i.imgur.com/4KvN4Ot.gif?noredirect

micka
12-04-2019, 08:52 PM
Ozhondasux.com is probably available if you want to kick it semi old school (but slightly off brand)

Answrcr
13-04-2019, 03:26 PM
Wow i only just joined and bought my first first (Honda civic) very recently :(
Sad to see it go

Richard B
16-04-2019, 08:27 PM
In case we all get booted tomorrow - subreddit r/ozhonda (https://www.reddit.com/r/ozhonda/) will be opened up to continue Ozhonda specific discussion.

If Ozhonda stays active, r/ozhonda will stay private.

AsH_
16-04-2019, 09:44 PM
im up for someone taking hosting ownership.

there are so many great memories, i learned a lot about my first cat (eg) from this forums.

if i had the money i would take this site on board, even at a loss over time.

we need a go fund me page to save ozhonda.

AsH_
16-04-2019, 10:01 PM
can we copy the data off the site?

i dont want to loose this

Richard B
16-04-2019, 10:26 PM
If it goes ahead as stated, the site will fold down to a flat HTML site.

I'm worried about the image links though.

TRaNz
17-04-2019, 06:29 AM
so no one was able to get hold of Wynode? :(

infurNOS
17-04-2019, 10:19 AM

Nope...

amant02
18-04-2019, 10:33 AM
Well its 18/0419 and i can still post.

EKVTIR-T
18-04-2019, 11:58 PM
still alive

TRaNz
19-04-2019, 11:21 AM
alive...but for how long...where is Wynoooddddeeeeeeee.....

ITEAZR
20-04-2019, 08:41 PM

Nothing at all from him

tseesinngwailo
22-04-2019, 01:51 PM
Happy to chuck in some money to keep hosting going each year. any news on what's likely to happen? I don't have and hate facebook, sad if we lose the great DIY and stuff thats on here.

dougie_504
24-04-2019, 10:30 AM
I've called wyn and left a VM so hopefully I'll be able to discuss with him shortly.

Thank you everyone for your ongoing support and interest.

Unfortunately time flies by and things change. This site is an excellent resource and should continue if we can find a way to support it.

I'm tying the knot, have 2 step-kids and my own first kid on the way this year - but I still have my real baby (the EF8) and am still planning more work for it haha.

Keep up the good work guys!
Andy

mmm
24-04-2019, 07:48 PM
Wow so sad to see this announcement. Nostalgia kickin’ in hard. Sending my support and hope it can be salvaged.

wynode
26-04-2019, 08:43 PM
Andy, thanks for the call and apologies all for the late reply. Been a bit tied up the last week and have extended the date to make the site read only until 9 PM Wednesday 1 April. Regardless though, will try and keep this thread open for a bit longer if people would like to share any thoughts regarding archiving content.

The decision to gradually shut down the site was not a simple one, nor was just just a financial decision. It is also about ensuring members and sponsors needs are addressed in a timely manner. Maintaining the site, not just the front end moderating but also the back end around maintaining the server, backups, software updates, managing security vulnerabilities etc all takes time and effort and deserves a certain responsiveness. There is an opportunity for someone else to make a fresh start for the Honda community in Australia and we have had a pretty good run!

Richard B
27-04-2019, 12:00 PM
9 PM Wednesday 1 April.

The next time April 1 falls on a Wednesday is 2020. After that it's 2026 followed by 2037.

Jokes aside, seeing you probably mean 1st of May, that leaves about a week to discuss anything here. If anyone wants to set up or help set up a new AU Honda forum, please use r/ozhonda (https://www.reddit.com/r/ozhonda/) on Reddit to discuss / organise once this site locks up.

Fredoops
27-04-2019, 03:48 PM
Andy, thanks for the call and apologies all for the late reply. Been a bit tied up the last week and have extended the date to make the site read only until 9 PM Wednesday 1 April. Regardless though, will try and keep this thread open for a bit longer if people would like to share any thoughts regarding archiving content.

The decision to gradually shut down the site was not a simple one, nor was just just a financial decision. It is also about ensuring members and sponsors needs are addressed in a timely manner. Maintaining the site, not just the front end moderating but also the back end around maintaining the server, backups, software updates, managing security vulnerabilities etc all takes time and effort and deserves a certain responsiveness. There is an opportunity for someone else to make a fresh start for the Honda community in Australia and we have had a pretty good run!

Hi Wynode,

understand the effort required for building and maintaining the site.

However if you do close/shut the site all the information will be lost.

So cut to the chase i'll ask 2 questions:

do you intend to sell the site so it can continue?
if you dont intent to sell the site, will you give us permission make the content of the site available for someone to archive and extra useful threads, in a packaged file perhaps?

Thank you.

wynode
01-05-2019, 10:17 PM
Hi all,

Yes meant 1 May (typo). Not looking at selling the site but investigating options to allow the content to be available to others.