PDA

View Full Version : sussy question... Coilovers or Eibachs & Shocks?

civex98
13-01-2004, 10:21 AM
Okay...
i've been offered a good deal on a set of Koni coilovers, but i also have been offered a good deal on a set of Koni shocks and a set of Eibachs..

now...dilemma i have is there is about a $500 difference between them (including installation for each)...

are getting the coiilovers going to be worth that difference or is it just as good to get the Eibachs and koni yellows?

i drive a EK vtir coupe....

what u guys think?

[[d a n n y]]
13-01-2004, 10:35 AM
coilovers are good if u gonna hit alot of tracks :D

but stull the shocks will still do the job..

civex98
13-01-2004, 10:38 AM
Thanks for that Danny..
i know that Coilovers are more for street cred and stuff when on the street only, but are the performance of coilovers actually better than a springs/shock combo?

[[d a n n y]]
13-01-2004, 10:46 AM
hm...it's up to you really ...

if u like the feel of the coilovers then it's that but if u like the feel of your car with shocks then get shocks..

cwhat i think if u have a mad suspension..set up but u fell a bit ..uncomfortable u wont b able to enjoy ur ride..

well personally i'm just gonna get shocks...and springs...
for sum reason i think coilovers are going to brake with my driving style hhehehehe :twisted:

A'PEXi
13-01-2004, 04:26 PM
if you go with the coilovers, you will have the adjustability function whereas shocks/springs ur stuck unless u change em :P

vti-2
13-01-2004, 05:15 PM
Is the coilover setup the more expensive one?

As long as you don't get 'sleeve' type coilovers, i'd go the fully adjustable coilovers anyday over the shock/spring setup. ;)

joneblaze
13-01-2004, 06:56 PM
Civex98, maybe a bit more info on these options would help everyone advise u. What sort of Koni coilovers are they? And how much are you being offered for either set? I think unless you're going to track your car or put it through some pretty hardcore driving, the Koni shocks (are they yellows or Reds?) and eibachs will hold up quite well.... i've seen the same combo in action on a DC2 and they go perfectly fine. :) if you get the adjustable yellows you'll be able to dictate your ride stiffness to a certain degree as well.

bennjamin
13-01-2004, 07:06 PM
"...adjustable" meaning Adjustable damper.

Anything with adjustable damper is a good thing - even better if u lower teh car to stiffen the damper to compensate ;)

civex98
14-01-2004, 08:28 AM
Well the coilovers are both height and damper adjustable...a full koni kit.
The spring and shock set are Eibach prokit and koni yellows..
Yeah, the coilovers are about $500 more expensive...that's installed btw..
so yeah..a very good deal on the coilovers itself, just is it worth the price difference or should i just go the shocks and springs?
Lowering with the coilovers i'll be able to drop it 40mm with ease as well as not having a problem with the suspension as it has a shorter valve....plus i can always change that if i want to..
the springs and shocks i will only be able to lower around 30mm... not a big deal either way but i'm more after performance

genesis
14-01-2004, 09:26 AM
I have the koni coilovers and i'm very happy with them. One word of caution though, your ride will be alot stiffer even on the softest setting. Be prepared for an ass bashing if you get them... but besides that they are really good on the track, my car feels like a gokart.

EG5
14-01-2004, 09:16 PM
i got HKS hypermax coilover (for ek civic) for sale in good condition for sale
pm me if u want...
im in syd , shipping is easy to melb.

fried
17-01-2004, 02:19 PM
if ur worried about height.....

ur springs will drop u 30mm on prokit, BUT what about sportline? how much more would it be for those?

also with koni yellows, there is an ADJUSTABLE HEIGHT CLIP on them. which means u can have the car (neglecting spring height) on normal hieght, about 25mm higher than normal height, and about 25mm less than normal hieght...

so if u got prokit, and set it on the lowest setting, ud get an easy 55mm drop ;)

problem is, u'll have to take the WHOLE setup apart to change, so chose rightly the first time. ie take the springs off the shocks and all the bump-stop bits and washers etc.

comfortability wise, im assuming coilovers would byte the bum mang. sydney roads are bad! so yeah, i dunno about melbourne roads.

the question is *can u justify spending THAT much more money on something*??? if u dont track, then i guess all that extra options is purely luxury, or bling. BUT if thats a good enough reason for you, then get em!!!

bling is good. in my case, bling is for self satisfication, not for showing off. lol.

just some thoughts man! letus know how u go!

eric.

LatinoHatchCrap
17-01-2004, 03:02 PM
Simple:
*Coilovers for the track
* Shock+spring for the street
If you get the coilovers just for the street you'll be overspending and you'll neva see the benefits of buying them.
Wots with this crap about having to take off the shock and spring combo to adjust the height?? Are coilovers any different?? NO :D When you get those coilovers you will have to choose the apporpiate perch height at which you want the bumstops to sit, if you want to change that and try doing it yourself you will have to make sure every wheel is even and you'll have to get a wheel alingment; how often are you likely to do this It all comes down to your preffered setup and how seriously you take to the track. With a shock+spring combo you should already know the springrates; and komni yellows are externally adj.
To sum it all up if you're just going to use the ride for street and occasionally take it to the track, shock+spring is more than enough. But if you're a track whore (track more than twice a month) then coilovers should be your choice.

fried
17-01-2004, 04:56 PM
Wots with this crap about having to take off the shock and spring combo to adjust the height?? Are coilovers any different?? NO :D

i was under the impression that hieght adjustable coilovers only requried a tool to turn the perches up or down.... so all u would need is some car jacks to jack the car up, take the wheels off and turn the perches with the tool, supplied by koni.

otherwise they call everything adjustable, even koni reds, which area appearently ALSO damper adjustble, just that u have to take em off the vehicle to do so.

http://www.koni.com/_cars/frame.html

have a look, have a read... ;)

LatinoHatchCrap
18-01-2004, 05:26 PM
Wots with this crap about having to take off the shock and spring combo to adjust the height?? Are coilovers any different?? NO :D

i was under the impression that hieght adjustable coilovers only requried a tool to turn the perches up or down.... so all u would need is some car jacks to jack the car up, take the wheels off and turn the perches with the tool, supplied by koni.

otherwise they call everything adjustable, even koni reds, which area appearently ALSO damper adjustble, just that u have to take em off the vehicle to do so.

http://www.koni.com/_cars/frame.html

have a look, have a read... ;) I apologise, dont think I expressed wot was in my head clear enough. What I was trying to say is that the height adjustability of coilovers its not as ACCESSIBLE as some folks may percieve. WHY? Firstly, you must either take into someone to do it for you which will cost you money or if you attemp to do it yourself you must be able to measure that all four corners are equal height to one another; and its not as easy as *take 'em all down 1 perch at a time* not all corners hold equal weight thus each corner must be adjusted individually. Then you must get a wheel alingment and if lowering more than 1.5" a camber kit would be needed to correct any negative camber. This is how you need to do it PROPERLY. From first hand experience I dont know too many people who readjust the height of their rides once its done because its a hassle and if you've found a compromise why change it unless you're a hardcore racer and know how to do it youreself PROPERLY.

This brings me to my point. Height adjustability is a feature which is often not needed especially if most of the use their going to see is on the street which demands a HUGE compromise for daily driving; such compromise can be met easily by a nice spring+shock+camber kit.

-Joe

LatinoHatchCrap
18-01-2004, 05:35 PM
one more thing: price wise those 500 buxs could buy you some much needed strut/tie bars or even a rear sway bar if you dont have one. It just seems to me much more cost efficient to get the spring+shock combo and use the left ova money to get some other upgrades.

If im correct those coilovers brand new cost about 2400. Koni yellows cost about 800 eibachs about 400 so the price difference brand new is high. Make sure the price of the coils is below the mid/high 1K mark and the spring+shock low/below 1K.

GL man.

civex98
19-01-2004, 07:58 AM
Thanks for all the replies guys..
I think i'll do what Latinohatchcrap suggests..
i'll be going the koni yellows and the eibachs and then spend a bit of money and get a whiteline handling kit or something like that..
does anybody know a good place in melb that can get someone to install one of these whiteline kits cheap? the best price (for kit and installation) that i have is around $700!!
also, LatinoHatchCrap, where are you going to get the spring+shock low/below 1K?!? price i got quoted was for $1450 installed with alignment.

fried
19-01-2004, 06:33 PM
all good brother!

yeah, coilovers, *usually* (i am assuming here) have an external thread which ttwo perchers that are jsut turned up or down to ur desired hieght.

THAT is the the easy part, u need a car jack and a tool....

setting it up RIGHT, however, is not quite that simple. ;)

LatinoHatchCrap
19-01-2004, 09:52 PM
also, LatinoHatchCrap, where are you going to get the spring+shock low/below 1K?!? price i got quoted was for $1450 installed with alignment. :shock: that was an estiamtion of course but to give you an idea a couple of months ago I was calling around to find out prices and shit and trutrack in South Melb quated me $1700 for koni yellows, Eiback pro-kit installed and alnigment. Of course that was brand spanking new. I would honestly bargain a bit more. I know new Koni yellows fir the EG are about 800-900 and eibachs dont cost more than 500. Installation I know most places will charge about 200 buxs all up and alingment b/ween 50-90 buxs.GL and let us know how you go ;)

McChook
24-01-2004, 11:43 PM
Dude i will sell you a Jamex Sportsline kit (as good as a Koni Yellow Coilover Kit) for $550 + delivery, with either 40mm or 60mm springs. Let me know

toE
27-01-2004, 01:25 PM
Neil, try Suspension City in North Melbourne for the installation and cant wait to sit in the car afta all the "mods" ;)