PDA

View Full Version : Jazz GD1/GLi mod help!

GD1 Jazz
23-04-2005, 02:32 PM
:wave: Hi every one! Very nice to be here & with you guys, which makes me a proud owner of my little Jazzie Honda! :D

BTW, i`m a newbie here with somes questions here, and hoped it`s not too long for u guys, & thanks for your kind understanding & patience with me. :o

I`m currently driving a 1.3 idsi facelift model, & very keen to upgrade the performance, especially from mid to high ranges( i`ve ever pushed it till redline @ 170++km/h ), whereby the lows are quite impressive i would say that. As for the air intake, so far i`ve ordered a new Mugen drop in filter( awaiting for collection ) for my ride, & the question is issit good enough? Been reading in the forum that some goes for Pods, some prefers stock box with AF filters, or the pricey Last Station/ ARC induction boxes. Besides air intake, what other modifications is neccessary, or issit perhaps a waste of time for a GD1/GLi idsi jazz?

Thanks in advance!

gd1_nz
23-04-2005, 03:17 PM
hey bro..i have the L13A too.....i've changed my panel filter to Monster Power filter and the car revs much faster and smooth over 4000rpm and the response is a bit beta than OEM....

jsut wondering when u were goin 170km/h+, were u in "s" or "d"??....cos a couple of days ago when i was passing a truck i flicked it into "s" and the revs jumped to like over 5500rpm when i was onli doing like 120-130~~.......

yaa....i would say the low end of this car is quite impressive but the top end.......

Jus-10
23-04-2005, 08:42 PM
Personally the drop in filter is a waste. Go to something like an A'pexi Power Intake. After some dyno time on a 1.5 it is showing good gains in the top end with virtually no loss down low.

How can you argue with that?!

That said, there aren't many 1.3 I-dsi modders here, though there are a heap in Japan and they seem to get some decent results.

GD1 Jazz
24-04-2005, 01:01 AM
hey bro..i have the L13A too.....i've changed my panel filter to Monster Power filter and the car revs much faster and smooth over 4000rpm and the response is a bit beta than OEM....

jsut wondering when u were goin 170km/h+, were u in "s" or "d"??....cos a couple of days ago when i was passing a truck i flicked it into "s" and the revs jumped to like over 5500rpm when i was onli doing like 120-130~~.......

yaa....i would say the low end of this car is quite impressive but the top end.......

Hi bro gd1 _nz...sorry dat i forgot to mention i`m on manual, not auto. The speed i`ve reached( 170++km/h ) actually took a very long stretch of st. road while i`m on the malaysian highways( no way for Singapore ), & also like it took donkey years to manage that only on levelled roads, revs almost till 6000rpm.

Yes, i totally with you Jus-10, Apexi power intake pod is one of the best, if not, the best in the world in terms of flow rate and it`s filtration qualities( K&N actually loses out for both functions ). I actually had a Simota Carbon Shielded cone before but the low end sulks big time for me, therefore intends to switch for a drop in for a test. After read postings by you in this forum, i began to have interest in the Apexi( with the customed heat shield ) if only the Mugen...Btw Jus-10, if i changed to Apexi filter and AF exhaust( Apexi ) only, will it improved the mid to high without losing too much on lows? Header, cat & pipes is strictly illegal in Singapore & i would not want to play cats & dogs with the police you see. ;)

TypeG
24-04-2005, 01:29 AM
lol
go to spoon site
spoon manager explained y spoon only made panel filter
also, pod only good for car with tuning device
for 1.3, low end is more more important so just use Monster Power filter as i heard they are good

GD1 Jazz
24-04-2005, 01:51 AM
lol
go to spoon site
for 1.3, low end is more more important so just use Monster Power filter as i heard they are good

Thx bro, i`ll take note of that too since i`m awaiting for the Mugen, as i think only Mugen has the new facelift drop in filter( diff from the pre F/L ) in the market right now. But are u actually meaning that just changed the filter & thats all? Any other mods like tail muffler, TB & etc won`t serve any purpose for a 1.3 engine at all? I`m a little confused & sorry about that. :o

JA22
24-04-2005, 11:08 AM
hi GD1_Jazz

good luck with your mods
i am from singapore too, but living in brisbane.

TypeG
24-04-2005, 12:30 PM
tail muffler is useless on performance aspect. u need full cat back system. header as well but i suggest u to go for the mugen 4-2-1 header.

GD1 Jazz
24-04-2005, 02:49 PM
Well...well...i kinda fully realised it now, think have to do things the hard way, and the 4-2-1 header u mentioned should be suitable for manuals usually rite. Many thx bro Type G, you`ve been a great help, same for Jus. :thumbsup:

Hi Ja22, nice to hear from u too, feels like home abit lah... how about you leh...? :D

TypeG
24-04-2005, 03:02 PM
mod are suitable for both manual and auto IMO. But in my mind, auto need more mod which help low end I think.

Jus-10
24-04-2005, 04:10 PM
lol
go to spoon site

Sorry but recent dyno testing on my car throws that theory out the window. Also your theory about a pod only being good with a tuning device is false.

My car is seeing gains of around 3-4kw at the wheels from the A'pexi filter in the upper rev-range whilst maintaining similar factory characteristics down low. This was achieved with all setings on the V-AFC2 set to zero.

The biggest noticeable gain that I have experience is from the A'pexi filter.

Another option might be HKS. They have just released a new setup which looks like it could be quite effective. I haven't seen any reviews on it as such but the length is looking pretty good for some decent results.

All said though, I haven't had a close look at the design of the airbox on the updated Jazz, but given that it doesn't produce more power, I would be expecting similar results. K&N also has a drop in filter for the update model...

It's hard to go off just the words of people on a forum I know, but I am yet to hear anything negative about the A'pexi. There are those people who don't believe pod filters are worthwhile, and then there are those that have tried the A'pexi Power Intake on their Jazz and wouldn't have anything else!

There could be an even better option than the A'pexi coming your way thanks to a fellow OH member too!

TypeG
24-04-2005, 06:27 PM
well, if u want to argue with mugen and spoon, i wont argue with u anymore on this same thing as I am getting a bit sick.
MOST brand intake is inside a box. More expensive intake may come in a box as well or even with CAI like ARC, ICEBOX.... etc
just drop in a panel filter with CAI, u will be FINE (my option)

tonmasi
24-04-2005, 06:30 PM
Sorry but recent dyno testing on my car throws that theory out the window. Also your theory about a pod only being good with a tuning device is false.

My car is seeing gains of around 3-4kw at the wheels from the A'pexi filter in the upper rev-range whilst maintaining similar factory characteristics down low. This was achieved with all setings on the V-AFC2 set to zero.

The biggest noticeable gain that I have experience is from the A'pexi filter.

Another option might be HKS. They have just released a new setup which looks like it could be quite effective. I haven't seen any reviews on it as such but the length is looking pretty good for some decent results.

All said though, I haven't had a close look at the design of the airbox on the updated Jazz, but given that it doesn't produce more power, I would be expecting similar results. K&N also has a drop in filter for the update model...

It's hard to go off just the words of people on a forum I know, but I am yet to hear anything negative about the A'pexi. There are those people who don't believe pod filters are worthwhile, and then there are those that have tried the A'pexi Power Intake on their Jazz and wouldn't have anything else!

There could be an even better option than the A'pexi coming your way thanks to a fellow OH member too!

hey jus,

just a question, do you think with cold air intake pipe running into stock airbox with replacement air filter would be about the same as the POD set up? I am jut curious... thanks

GD1 Jazz
24-04-2005, 06:48 PM
Bro Jus, if i have a choice between AF drop in, i will skip the K&N as their filters are actually of bad quality in appearances & filtrations. I`ve experienced that by glancing thru them under bribht light, & i could see tiny dots of light scattered around the surfaces due to poor cotton quality...imagine a tiny sand grit went thru it.... If only Apexi had the new filter for Jazz, i would got that instead of Mugen.

Here`s a link regards intakes: http://www.max-boost.co.uk/max-boost/intake/intake.htm

spoon fit
24-04-2005, 06:57 PM
how much for the mugen air filter?
http://img245.echo.cx/img245/5954/mugenairfilter4hs.jpg

GD1 Jazz
24-04-2005, 07:05 PM
....S$155 in Sing dollars, ordered thru an auto shop dealer with Mugen products.

Jus-10
24-04-2005, 07:09 PM
I am not arguing, but I am getting a bit sick of people making claims with no evidence to back it up...I am just making sure that people have true information and not basing their decisions merely on opinions, so they can make an informed decision.

Dyno results have confirmed my statements, and yes I would argue with Spoon and Mugen...they aren't interested in providing extreme modification as such. Spoon will base the majority of development on OEM parts (their bigger TB is simply a bored out OEM unit and have you compared the design of their manifold to the OEM? very similar). It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realise how restrictive the airbox on a Jazz is (not making any reference to the filter) - just go and have a look at the entire factory setup.

I should also note that my car, in an untuned state, is currently producing more power than the quoted figures of Spoon's car which has a free-flowing exhaust, headers and who knows what else....

My car is also a whole 1 second quicker over the quarter mile than a stock Jazz - and that's with a novice (me) driving!

All I am saying is that I have evidence of the gains the mods produce - everyone else is relying on pure speculation and opinion at this point as almost no one else either has mods done or has the inclination to take the car and put it on the dyno/take it to the track.

Jus-10
24-04-2005, 07:16 PM
hey jus,

just a question, do you think with cold air intake pipe running into stock airbox with replacement air filter would be about the same as the POD set up? I am jut curious... thanks

I have seen people do this and whilst it would be better than the factory setup, the actual design of the box is the problem. It's pretty easy to do and would be the way to go if you don't want to go to a pod

My car has been on the dyno a fair bit over the past couple of weeks testing the length of the intake pipe making sure the legth is spot on for a good all-round compromise with some promising results.

This is going to be the single best option out there once it is complete, but it is a pod...

ahcash
24-04-2005, 07:48 PM
tail muffler is useless on performance aspect. u need full cat back system. header as well but i suggest u to go for the mugen 4-2-1 header.

Oiii .. that means mine is useless lah ??? DIU..... :D

spoon fit
24-04-2005, 07:52 PM
haha............

Zimp13
24-04-2005, 07:54 PM
Oiii .. that means mine is useless lah ??? DIU..... :D

ya lor.... hehehe.... its only a vision not a reality.... :D

Tony
24-04-2005, 08:08 PM
I have to agree with Jus.

I have tried both setup, Apexi power intake kit vs Trust panel filter + CAI pipe, and here's my verdict:

Apexi intake kit:
- loud, very loud (partially because I'm using a carbon fibre bonnet)
- increased throttle response
- not much difference at low rpm
- significant gain at high rpm

Trust panel filter + CAI pipe:
- very quiet, similar to stock filter + resonator setup
- there maybe power gain but I don't feel much difference compared to stock filter (I have been swapping between stock and aftermarket filter to compare but honestly I can't really feel the difference)
- CAI pipe makes a bit of difference, especially in winter

GD1 Jazz
24-04-2005, 08:16 PM
Hey Jus,

Regards the HKS setup, it`s pretty neat i would say cos it has 45 degree elbow bends at both ends. It`s main advantages is that the airflow will be faster as air flows best on straight line, slows down fast also at right angle bends. What do u think of it?

What about the batteries, issit possible to get those dry type batt due to smaller in size( spoon actually does that in order to save weight ), therefore can relocate the batt foward with custom bracket to hold it? Then we can plug the pod straight/in line with the TB with the pod attached with some pipings and located at the batt compartment. I know it may sounds crazy, maybe i`m missing something here. Thanks!

TypeG
24-04-2005, 08:21 PM
hm......
sound like mugen and spoon have to close down their business if that things happen.
lol
also what about a ARC or mugen intake compare to Apexi one?

Zimp13
24-04-2005, 08:27 PM
Hey Jus,

Regards the HKS setup, it`s pretty neat i would say cos it has 45 degree elbow bends at both ends. It`s main advantages is that the airflow will be faster as air flows best on straight line, slows down fast also at right angle bends. What do u think of it?

What about the batteries, issit possible to get those dry type batt due to smaller in size( spoon actually does that in order to save weight ), therefore can relocate the batt foward with custom bracket to hold it? Then we can plug the pod straight/in line with the TB with the pod attached with some pipings and located at the batt compartment. I know it may sounds crazy, maybe i`m missing something here. Thanks!

any pics???? :D

GD1 Jazz
24-04-2005, 08:57 PM
Sorry, no pictures yet, but i seen a pic quite similar in this forum, maybe a replica of the HKS?? Will upload a link if i could trace the pic again. ;)

TypeG
24-04-2005, 10:58 PM
I am not arguing, but I am getting a bit sick of people making claims with no evidence to back it up...I am just making sure that people have true information and not basing their decisions merely on opinions, so they can make an informed decision.

Dyno results have confirmed my statements, and yes I would argue with Spoon and Mugen...they aren't interested in providing extreme modification as such. Spoon will base the majority of development on OEM parts (their bigger TB is simply a bored out OEM unit and have you compared the design of their manifold to the OEM? very similar). It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realise how restrictive the airbox on a Jazz is (not making any reference to the filter) - just go and have a look at the entire factory setup.

I should also note that my car, in an untuned state, is currently producing more power than the quoted figures of Spoon's car which has a free-flowing exhaust, headers and who knows what else....

My car is also a whole 1 second quicker over the quarter mile than a stock Jazz - and that's with a novice (me) driving!

All I am saying is that I have evidence of the gains the mods produce - everyone else is relying on pure speculation and opinion at this point as almost no one else either has mods done or has the inclination to take the car and put it on the dyno/take it to the track.

LOL argure with spoon and mugen, no wonder u get custom exhuast and stuff. On yr talk on TB, sound like u need a better understand on spoon 's quality b4 u say local bored one is same as spoon one. All their products has been done lots of research. Custom work is better than Spoon?

FIT
02-05-2005, 12:41 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33742&item=7971490282&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

get this lol

TypeG
02-05-2005, 01:31 PM
old news mate