PDA

View Full Version : rebuilding upgrades

Blk-Em1
23-04-2005, 09:38 PM
hey all
was wondering im thinking of getting my engine rebuilt changing the pistons and rings. was wondering if i were to get this done what else should i think about doing the same time that i do the rings and pistons?
rods? gasket? just need some advice so i can save up the $$ :D
advice is much appreciated!

BLKCRX
23-04-2005, 09:54 PM
Hmm if ya going to do a full rebuild

You will need a top and bottom end VRS gasket kit which includes all the gaskets in the engine.

New rod bearings, new crank bearings, new thrust bearings, might as well put a new oil and water pump, replace all your belts timing, alt / power seating and air con, new fuel filter / oil filter new thermostat.

If your going with new pistons, get high compression pistons and chuck in a set of eagle rods as there cheap and ok value for what they are.

Re-hone your block, for over sized pistons slightly, deck the block and the head, make sure you replace your head bolts, or swap them over to ARP head studs… whilst ya at it might as well port flow your head, intake and exhaust ports, replace the valve guides if there’s any clearance problem with the valves, hmm inspect and maybe replace the valves to new single piece SS ones , replace the valve springs to support higher rpm something like Skunk 2 springs. Hmm what else could you do.. Whilst your intake manifold is off you could send it and your TB up to Dyno Dave to be modified, there’s some great gains there to be made there…inspect your clutch and fly wheel and look at maybe replacing this whilst your gear box / engine is out…and send everything off to be balanced.

Hmmm send your injectors off to be cleaned also, making sure they all flow correctly, and consider sourcing a set of cam’s to match the high compression pistons and a nice set of headers, followed by a nice intake and exhaust setup and a Full ECU to tune everything once is in and running.

Hope that helps hehe that’s the minimum I would do on most re builds.... Start saving your money !!! you will need lots.

Regards James

i_own_you
23-04-2005, 11:34 PM
:confused: and how much is that roughly?cause i am contemplating on a transplant b-series sooner or later if budget permits.

other than that, i may stick with the d series for the mean time :)

tegstar83
24-04-2005, 12:06 AM
Ill probably say more than 5grand as a rough estimate. James does that sound about right??

Weq
24-04-2005, 11:06 AM
i just did this to my car. 1800 for bottom end, 1500 for head, 1500 for all other parts and gaskets, 800 for labour to remove and install engine.
thats everything changed accept sleeves on a SOHC, drive away.

ways u can save money: buy all the parts yourself. i bought my pistons and rods, but everything else i let the mechanic source cause i was sick of it. if u import all ur OEM parts from the US, i rekon u can easy save 500. i was chanrged retail + a little margin on most.

BLKCRX
24-04-2005, 11:48 AM
Here’s a estimate price list of parts you would pay retail prices for, I hav’t listed brands on purpose…but the prices are for all original Honda aust parts or high quality aftermarket parts from retail stores... not ebay LOL

vrs kit top and bottom end $1000
bearings $1000
oil pump $350
water pump $250
3 belts $150
fuel filter $45
oil filter $15
thermostat $50
rods $500
mechine hone block $200
deck block and head $200
arp studs $350
head work $1000 min
valve guides $600
valves $600
valve springs $600
mod manifold / TB $500
balance engine $500
clutch / Fly wheel $1200
clean injectors $100
cams $2000
header $1500
intake $350
exhaust $700
spark plugs $20
ECU $1500

$15000.00+ - Parts Estimate

Labor $3000 - $6000

Total $20,000.00 estimate
But not everyone has 20k to spend on a engine upgrade… the question is what to do, and what not 2 do, what parts to spend money on….and how serious you are !

Regards James

BLKCRX
24-04-2005, 11:54 AM
Don’t forget the cost of pistons also… and meh you could even include things like retainers and new collets, you could spend money on HPC coating also, all your exhaust parts, and even pistons if you want to… then you would wanta set side some money for good engine oil to run your engine in on…. I like to very frequently replace oil when running a engine in … the lists of costs goes on and on.. welcome to modifying a car, don’t you love it ;)

Regards James

Blk-Em1
24-04-2005, 12:00 PM
thanks for the tip james. think ill be saving....FOREVER! :D

wynode
24-04-2005, 01:03 PM
That's a HUGE list James!

But I don't think you'll have to go that far personally. Not EVERYTHING listed needs to be replaced unless you're building a 400kW monster.

BLKCRX
24-04-2005, 01:24 PM
Hmmm for a 400kw monster that list would be twice as long…. And twice if not more expensive … and believe me I know! ehhe the ultimate answer thow is the same question I ask everyone who’s engine I design and tune… how far do you want to go…. There’s always more things you can do but where do you draw the line.. that’s for the client to draw…..
Regards James

Blk-Em1
24-04-2005, 07:28 PM
yeah probably wont go that far but thinking of just doing a higher cr pistons, rods thinner gaskets for now. do you think i should go for an oversized piston since my engine now is burning a bit of oil?

have you heard of nippon racing pistons and king rods?

Lukezen27
24-04-2005, 07:37 PM
i just did this to my car. 1800 for bottom end, 1500 for head, 1500 for all other parts and gaskets, 800 for labour to remove and install engine.
thats everything changed accept sleeves on a SOHC, drive away.

ways u can save money: buy all the parts yourself. i bought my pistons and rods, but everything else i let the mechanic source cause i was sick of it. if u import all ur OEM parts from the US, i rekon u can easy save 500. i was chanrged retail + a little margin on most.

Wow!!!

Never let it be said that BLKCRX is Scared to state the real deal!!

Tho that price scare's the hell out of me :rolleyes:

Now Weq is more along the lines what I would like to do soon as I save a bit if cash :thumbsup:

I hope he stay’s with his D16Y1 so I can steel all he’s ideas :p :p

Weq
24-04-2005, 07:55 PM
eheh. i replaced alot of gear, my engine is as fresh as it comes i rekon. u gotta shop around and ive been collecting parts for quite a while. that said, its a SOHC, and parts for a SOHC are always cheaper then b-series. i'll put up a good list when my project is done, but James speaketh the trueth.

Lukezen27
24-04-2005, 08:00 PM
eheh. i replaced alot of gear, my engine is as fresh as it comes i rekon. u gotta shop around and ive been collecting parts for quite a while. that said, its a SOHC, and parts for a SOHC are always cheaper then b-series. i'll put up a good list when my project is done, but James speaketh the trueth.

<------------been waiting for the list heheh

Can't wait till its posted :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

mister
25-04-2005, 05:14 PM
is that list for an engine upgrade? or engine rebuild?

Lukezen27
25-04-2005, 05:46 PM
is that list for an engine upgrade? or engine rebuild?

Weq’s internal parts upgrade on he’s D16Y1 :D

I think he's aiming for 8k RPM range

Plus he setup is turboed

Weq?

mister
29-04-2005, 02:45 PM
i am reffering to the list set by blckcrx. is is full upgrade engine? or just plain rebuild?

BLKCRX
01-05-2005, 09:26 AM
v

What is the difference between a upgrade and a rebuild ? if parts need to be replaced because there used, replace them. The only things on that list you could skip if you didn’t want to spend extra money 2 make more power, would be the rods, cams and then of course the exhaust / intake bolt on’s.

The original question was thow asking for a rebuild with new pistons… new pistons = machine the block and if your going to that much trouble might as well chuck in a set of cheap aftermarket rocks which will perform stronger than stock.. and if your going to put new pistons in might as well go for stupid high compression ones and get a set of matching cams and make your engine produce more power.

All the other moving parts in the engine which were listed in the list should be replaced if you want to do the job correctly.. and meh the list is’t even complete ! there’s more you can spend and more you can do.

Iv once had a person call me up to build a turbo civic setup, he said he wanted the best of the best, from suspension to engine to painting the car and interior… I think his quote was like $250,000.00 .. he freaked ;-)

Regards James

[R]
01-05-2005, 10:32 AM
lol man i come across so many ppl that say that..

ah8118
02-05-2005, 09:37 PM
hahaha gosh.. 250,000.... i think i'd be better off buying a ferrari...

DynoDave
02-05-2005, 10:32 PM
hey all
was wondering im thinking of getting my engine rebuilt changing the pistons and rings. was wondering if i were to get this done what else should i think about doing the same time that i do the rings and pistons?
rods? gasket? just need some advice so i can save up the $$ :D
advice is much appreciated!
You would be better to post a figure you want to meet in KW before asking about what to change.
Regards Dyno Dave

Blk-Em1
03-05-2005, 09:10 AM
just wanted to see what more could be necessary to change when doing this thats all..

DynoDave
03-05-2005, 07:14 PM
just wanted to see what more could be necessary to change when doing this thats all..
If your not going to chase big power just fit a set of ITR pistons get the conrods polished and shot peened use only Honda bearings and put the bottom end together and only use OEM parts not some cheap shit copy.And the head is the same just fit ITR/CTR springs and use only OEM parts and this will be a nice little engine that will live for years if you want a bit more power fit the ITR cams aswell.
Regards Dyno Dave

**Ghost**
03-05-2005, 07:27 PM
so by rebuilding with ITR parts...not including cams...wots the gain?

Lukezen27
03-05-2005, 07:37 PM
Can someone Enlighten on what ITR/CTR stand's for?

thx LukeZen

Weq
03-05-2005, 07:59 PM
integra /civic type-r

Lukezen27
03-05-2005, 08:04 PM
I see :o

None of em fit our D16's DOH!!

DynoDave
03-05-2005, 08:35 PM
so by rebuilding with ITR parts...not including cams...wots the gain?
I am currently building this same setup for my run around streetcar so in a few weeks I can answer this correctly.I have one customer that has this setup and his car made 114kw's I did not base run this car before his rebuild as it was done by another shop I just had to tune it.
Regards Dyno Dave

h22a accord
04-05-2005, 09:46 AM
dang, expensive sheit. Im rather happy then with my modest outlay of around 4k with a h22a swap for an extra 43kw and LSD

**Ghost**
04-05-2005, 10:10 PM
I am currently building this same setup for my run around streetcar so in a few weeks I can answer this correctly.I have one customer that has this setup and his car made 114kw's I did not base run this car before his rebuild as it was done by another shop I just had to tune it.
Regards Dyno Dave

thats tops mate... be sure to tell me cos i'm interested in doing this in the future :D