PDA

View Full Version : [Euro] Gear Knob Change

V205
24-04-2005, 11:17 PM
Hi guys,

Has anyone changed their Euro manual gear knob to a TSX manual gear knob?
It's aluminium but with leather wrapped around etc.

Regards,
V

baboo
25-04-2005, 07:10 AM
yes,

most ppl have done it, most recently is Aaronng

yfin
25-04-2005, 10:04 AM
TSX knob is slightly different - you can get it for around $100US + shipping.

I think the DC5R knob is better value and still looks nice.

http://i4.ebayimg.com/03/i/03/4c/c2/69_1_b.JPG

aaronng
25-04-2005, 10:28 AM
The TSX manual knob is actually like the AUDM S2000 knob (like what yfin posted), but with black numbering. But it looks too cylindrical to me.

I prefer the JDM DC5R knob. Mine is with black numbering (USDM DC5), but you can get red too for an extra US$14 (and US$5 more shipping as it is from a different seller)

euro77
26-04-2005, 07:53 PM
you should get the red one, it makes your car go faster :D :D :D

I don't understand why the TSX gear knob is much more expensive than the DC5R. I was going to get that TSX gear knob, but decided not to after looking at its price.

Pum[Z]
27-04-2005, 07:40 PM
Maybe it has to do that DC5R knob is made out of metal...

And the TSX knob is leather...

That explains the price difference... Also the TSX knob doesn't burn ur hand when ur car is left out in the sun for too long :cool:

stephen8512
27-04-2005, 10:36 PM
hahaa unless u get blackass tints like yours truly :D

V205
01-05-2005, 10:02 PM
Any euro owner in melbourne who has this shift knob installed? Wouldn't mind having a look and feel.

Anyone bought this local instead of having it imported from US?

Thanks.

TSX knob is slightly different - you can get it for around $100US + shipping.

I think the DC5R knob is better value and still looks nice.

http://i4.ebayimg.com/03/i/03/4c/c2/69_1_b.JPG

V205
18-06-2005, 03:05 PM
No one in Melbourne near caulfield willing to show me a TSX leather knob?? :D

Entity
18-06-2005, 07:21 PM
can u change the knob in the auto aswell?

to something that looks classy, not that tacky metal stick type?

i was thinking something straight, i dont like the T-knob that comes oem...

Sulley
18-06-2005, 11:23 PM
i bought a momo auto gear knob.
http://www.momo.it/Momo/pomelli/immagini/automatico/pelle.jpg
havent fitted it on though..
but i took a look at it..
basically the mechanism to push the button down so as to shift the lever is fine..
but the bottom plastic that attaches the OEM gear knob to the shift bag doesnt fit the momo and requires abit of DIY(remove that plastic and find a way to attach the shift bag to the new gear knob) or maybe a new shift bag..

Entity
19-06-2005, 01:18 PM
yeah but i was after something that didnt try to imitate manual gear knobs but were't t-bars

examples like the BMW auto, ford falcon BA auto, or even the subaru liberty (with a button of course)

the type that requires a "trigger" instead of a button, and a slightly curved...

lol

aaronng
19-06-2005, 07:47 PM
No one in Melbourne near caulfield willing to show me a TSX leather knob?? :D
I don't think anyone has a TSX knob here in Aus, because it is so expensive! I think it is almost double that of the full metal Integra knob.

albii
19-06-2005, 09:03 PM
I don't think anyone has a TSX knob here in Aus, because it is so expensive! I think it is almost double that of the full metal Integra knob.
YEAH DC5R is the way to go...it has a great feel at a great price...incidently for the price of the tsx knob you can have the dc5r knob and comptech short shifter as well and still have change.

ant234
21-06-2005, 09:25 AM
Hi!
Can anyone post some pics of the DC5R gear knob?
The page http://ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10908 suppose to have a pic but i can't see it ;/

thanks!

aleksandrov
24-09-2005, 09:47 AM
Here are three knobs I'm considering for my Euro (dark leather interior with optional metallic dashboard and door trim(:

Mugen New Style (http://www.kingmotorsports.com/product.asp?product=358)

Momo Sphere Leather (https://www.autotek.com.au/shoponline/productDisplay.cfm?action=display&merchID=292)

Momo Combat Evo Airmetal (https://www.autotek.com.au/shoponline/productDisplay.cfm?action=display&merchID=410)

I'd like to have them all, but since the car only fits three at a time maybe someone with an exceptional sense for finish quality and style can help me choose. :)

aaronng
24-09-2005, 01:27 PM
I wouldn't buy the Mugen, because I prefer the DC2R knob that you can get from the US at AU$70 or so landed here.

I wouldn't get the Sphere leather because I don't like round knobs, and I have seen people selling these knobs 2nd hand with the Momo embossed part detached.

The Combat Evo Airmetal is nice. Originally I wanted the Combat Evo Chrome, but couldn't justify the $150 price.

So in the end, I went for a DC5R knob. If you have a 5 speed, then DC2R from US. It's cheaper from overseas because it's a matte aluminium knob with black numbers, not the expensive titanium one. Also, without the shift gate numbers, your car will be defectable.

aleksandrov
24-09-2005, 01:54 PM
I've got a round Momo (I think it's Race Air Leather) on my Integra and I love the feel of it - the feel is the main reason why I'm considering a round knob at all.

I think the Mugen 6MT does have the shift gate numbers on it, but they're not included in that King Motorsport picture, so I'll have to check, since my wife is currently learning to drive manual and the 6 speeder can be a bit confusing. Having said that, I find it very surprising that a car can be defected if the knob doesn't have the shift gate numbers on it. :confused:

I wonder whether the Mugen comes with the upper ring kit for the (fake/cheap) leather boot? If it doesn't, I'll probably choose a Momo and get Autotek to make me a custom boot made up of real/quality leather with grey stitching (I have that on my old Integra and it does wonders for the overall appearance of the interior).

Btw, the Euro doesn't come in 5 speed manual. :)

aaronng
24-09-2005, 10:01 PM
Someone in Sydney got defected for that before. Quite ridiculous, yeah?

Oooh, thought it was for your LS. Props on your wife on learning to use a manual!

PNR888
25-09-2005, 12:05 AM
Here are three knobs I'm considering for my Euro (dark leather interior with optional metallic dashboard and door trim(:

Mugen New Style (http://www.kingmotorsports.com/product.asp?product=358)

Momo Sphere Leather (https://www.autotek.com.au/shoponline/productDisplay.cfm?action=display&merchID=292)

Momo Combat Evo Airmetal (https://www.autotek.com.au/shoponline/productDisplay.cfm?action=display&merchID=410)

I'd like to have them all, but since the car only fits three at a time maybe someone with an exceptional sense for finish quality and style can help me choose. :)

Mugen one looks very racey... I like it..

it should come with stickers for 5 sp and 6 sp gate diagram... so u can stick on the knob or near the boot... IS200 has a little plaque near the gear shift boot rather than on the round silver knob..

stephen8512
25-09-2005, 09:36 AM
get the euro R knob.very nice weight and feel to it

Peekay34
25-09-2005, 10:10 AM
Here is the knob I installed on mine..It is a Skunk2 knob...very heavy approx 400 Grams in weight and an adapter kit from a Honda knob. It cost a lot to do but I think looks good.
Sorry that it looks a little out of focus and yes I know the carpet needs a vacum....... :D.

I have also completed the Wood trim kit. I bought the rest of the trim kit and fitted it as well.

stephen8512
25-09-2005, 10:18 AM
wow! thats looks nice there peekay!
very nice :thumbsup:

euro1978
26-09-2005, 04:07 PM
The gear boot does't sit nicely though on those aftermarkets.

Is there a fix for this ???

Peekay34
26-09-2005, 06:39 PM
Looks perfectly ok to me photo does not do justice and no not really

aleksandrov
01-10-2005, 11:45 AM
If you have a 5 speed, then DC2R from US. It's cheaper from overseas because it's a matte aluminium knob with black numbers, not the expensive titanium one. ...

What car is the titanium one for? How expensive is it, exactly?

I used to have a full aluminium (combination of brushed and polished) Momo Race knob. The discolouration over a very short period made it quite ugly.

aaronng
01-10-2005, 03:08 PM
The titanium one came in the JDM DC2R. it was a shiny knob I think and had red numbers.

aleksandrov
01-10-2005, 04:50 PM
The titanium one came in the JDM DC2R. it was a shiny knob I think and had red numbers.

Any idea where I could find a picture of it?

pilotb777_300
26-07-2006, 10:09 AM
Sorry to bring back such an old thread... but a friend of mine who also owns a euro wanted to know if the new Euro Sport Gear knob would fit a standard euro ?? I think honda quoted him approx $150 for the gear knob. also does the leather boot and clip fit properly to this knob ?? or does it need some sort of modification ????

thanks

EuroDude
26-07-2006, 10:20 AM
From what I can see on the honda.com.au site, it looks the same size and height, so yeah it should swap over with no problem.

aaronng
26-07-2006, 10:22 AM
The Euro Sport knob fits the standard and lux euro (and all the other Hondas as well). The DC5R one that I got came with its own collar and plastic sleeve. You have to remove the stock plastic clip from the boot and put in the supplied DC5R one. On mine, there is a tiny 5mm gap between the sleeve and the locking nut (probably because the DC5R shifter is slightly shorter than the Euro's). Someone with an Euro Sport manual, please take a side pic of your gear knob with the sleeve and boot. Post it up here.

pilotb777_300
26-07-2006, 10:23 AM
From what I can see on the honda.com.au site, it looks the same size and height, so yeah it should swap over with no problem.

euro dude,
I was looking at that also and it kinda seems like the boot clip doesnt connect straight to the bottom of the gear know like it does on the standard euro ?? almost looks like theres some spacer there of some sort... I could just be seeing things though ! I called up honda and they said they have no idea if it would fit cause they never tried b4 !

pilotb777_300
26-07-2006, 10:24 AM
The Euro Sport knob fits the standard and lux euro (and all the other Hondas as well). The DC5R one that I got came with its own collar and plastic sleeve. You have to remove the stock plastic clip from the boot and put in the supplied DC5R one. On mine, there is a tiny 5mm gap between the sleeve and the locking nut (probably because the DC5R shifter is slightly shorter than the Euro's). Someone with an Euro Sport manual, please take a side pic of your gear knob with the sleeve and boot. Post it up here.

thanks mate !!! any idea which is better the DC5 or the Euro sport.. I havent seen the DC5R close up but its looks very similar to the euro sport

pilotb777_300
27-07-2006, 06:29 PM

I just came back from honda... had a look at the euro R gear knob and bascially it will screw on the standard euro but u cant clip the leather boot to it... it doesnt have that little extention plastic thingy thats on the stock gear known to clip into ! What have ppl done about this ??? is there a way aroun it ?? it would look quite dodgy to just leave the leather hanging there !

EuroDude
27-07-2006, 06:47 PM
Use some Blue-tac and stick it on :p Surely you can do a custom jobby and attach it, for example a rubber tube that slides tight on the metal shaft under the leather so it holds the leather up. Clarks Rubber sell various rubber tubing.

Or how about buy an original leather+plastic surround for a Euro sport from honda? It shouldnt cost much I imagine.

pilotb777_300
27-07-2006, 07:47 PM
Use some Blue-tac and stick it on :p Surely you can do a custom jobby and attach it, for example a rubber tube that slides tight on the metal shaft under the leather so it holds the leather up. Clarks Rubber sell various rubber tubing.

Or how about buy an original leather+plastic surround for a Euro sport from honda? It shouldnt cost much I imagine.

the knob I looked at at honda is a euro sport knob. I'm gonna try and find another realer with a euro sport at the show room so I can have a look at how its installed ! and btw I'm not gonna blue tack my euro together ! :p
Surely there has to be some adapter that the euro sport uses to connect the leather boot to the knob....

http://www.honda.com.au/wps/wcm/connect/Honda.com.au/Home/Showroom/Accord+Euro/Accord+Euro+Sport/

theres a picture in that link of the euro sport gear knob... notice the small adapter below it that sits flush with the leather boot....

albii
29-07-2006, 01:14 PM
is this what you guys are talking about?
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h86/Albii/Picture383.jpg

aaronng
29-07-2006, 01:44 PM
That adapter is totally different to my adapter. In any case, my DC5R knob doesn't screw down deep enough to even reach the leather boot. The total space between the leather boot and the knob on my car is 3cm! 2.5cm of it is covered by an adapter that clips on to the boot.

What I want to know now is whether the Euro Sport's shifter is shorter than the Euro's. Or does the Euro Sport's knob have threads that are deeper than the DC5R's.

albii
29-07-2006, 06:52 PM
if you turn that long stemmed bit of plastic upside down and use the nut up top ,thats how you keep the leather boot up.

aaronng
29-07-2006, 07:39 PM
Ahhhhhhh I see... I'll give that a go once I get back home. I wanted a lower shift knob though, but the threads don't go deep enough.

mugen88
30-07-2006, 10:13 AM
Here is my take on the replacement shift knob.

I also have the Skunk 2 knob.

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/2021/gear2gf0.th.jpg (http://img97.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gear2gf0.jpg) http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/8903/gear1tl2.th.jpg (http://img142.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gear1tl2.jpg)

I went to a wreckers and found a collar off another shift boot to fit on top and it works well.

Chris_F
30-07-2006, 10:17 AM
Here is my take on the replacement shift knob.

I also have the Skunk 2 knob.

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/2021/gear2gf0.th.jpg (http://img97.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gear2gf0.jpg)
i keep my shift boot to just under the knob aswell.

but instead of turning the plastic clip upside down I just wrapped a large amount of black double sided tape to just below where i want the sift boot to sit, i then pushed the shift boot ring up and over the double sided tape and it holds firmly and stops the plastic from rattling etc. The big gap looks a bit off otherwise

oh btw, i have this set up with a spoon titanium knob but it worked perfectly fine with the dc5r knob aswell

pilotb777_300
31-07-2006, 06:25 PM
just got back from honda again ! they reckon I need to change the whole leather boot to get that correct joint to the euro sport gear knob. Aparently that little adapter that goes in between the boot and the knob comes as part of the boot assembly ! cost of leather boot 65 bucks.. I expected it to be a lot more actually ! gonna go pick it up on wed

Chris_F
31-07-2006, 06:28 PM
just got back from honda again ! they reckon I need to change the whole leather boot to get that correct joint to the euro sport gear knob. Aparently that little adapter that goes in between the boot and the knob comes as part of the boot assembly ! cost of leather boot 65 bucks.. I expected it to be a lot more actually ! gonna go pick it up on wed

man, it's really simple to just undo the current plastic adaptor and put in the dc5r style plastic adaptor with some zip tie (they come stock zip tied on too :p (but thats only if you buy the dc5r knob)

but 65 bucks is pretty cheap for the genuine article :thumbsup:

TypeG
28-08-2006, 11:20 AM
Here is the knob I installed on mine..It is a Skunk2 knob...very heavy approx 400 Grams in weight and an adapter kit from a Honda knob. It cost a lot to do but I think looks good.
Sorry that it looks a little out of focus and yes I know the carpet needs a vacum....... :D.

I have also completed the Wood trim kit. I bought the rest of the trim kit and fitted it as well.

adapter kit?
i wonder is there anyway the take out the white thing after i remove the stock gear knob

aaronng
28-08-2006, 11:43 AM
adapter kit?
i wonder is there anyway the take out the white thing after i remove the stock gear knob
Yes, flip the leather boot over, and it's held by a cable tie! Make sure you have a cable tie that is that thin and long.

And if anyone needs the adapter but don't want to buy a whole new leather boot, go for this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-Accord-Shift-Boot-Adaptor-Black-Anodized-Aluminum_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33703QQihZ019Q QitemZ8018958607
It should come landed at $46. Makes the leather boot seem worth it though.

TypeG
28-08-2006, 12:31 PM
so I have to take the panel out in order to flip the boot over right?

mugen88
28-08-2006, 12:53 PM
To remove the white adapter for the stock gear knob you need to remove the whole surrounding panel and turn the gear boot inside out.

You will then be able to see the cable tie to cut it and remove.

TypeG
28-08-2006, 12:59 PM
that's bad
too lazy to do that
lol

aaronng
28-08-2006, 02:01 PM
so I have to take the panel out in order to flip the boot over right?
Just take off the gear knob, open the ash tray lid, grab the leather boot part and pull gently and firmly. One corner will come off first, and then the other 2. The last corner is difficult to remove because of the angle that the panel is at once the other 3 clips are up. The trick is to keep the panel as level as possible and then pull on the remaining corner. I like to grab the inside of the frame where the boot meets the trim.

Easy. I can get it off in 15 seconds.

Chris_F
28-08-2006, 02:42 PM
^ thats it exactly, i just fiddled around with mine a bit and used the exact same method

mugen88
28-08-2006, 05:48 PM
^^Its easy as everyone has explained, takes 10-15 sec to remove.

Darkii_
04-06-2008, 08:17 AM
Hey, bringing up an old thread again.

I'm trying to get my shift boot to stick up like mugen88's on the page before. The only problem is i cant seem the remove the trim around the surrounding panel.

I can get the first 2 corners off but the last 2 i applied quite a bit of force and it didn't seem to pop out. It started to bend a bit already so i didn't want to risk snapping it. Any hints on how to get these last 2 corners off?

aaronng
04-06-2008, 08:24 AM
Press all 4 corners back down. Grab the leather boot and pull that. If you get 3 clips out and 1 remains, push them back down again lightly and pull the boot again. You need to get all 4 out at one go, otherwise you'll end up bending and cracking the trim.

Darkii_
04-06-2008, 09:12 AM
Ahh thanks for that aaron, so pull the leather boot not that actual trim. Yeah it looked like it was going to crack any moment if i pulled any harder. Thanks for that will give it a go in a bit.

Pumped
04-06-2008, 09:17 AM
What i usually do is get a finger under each corner of the trim through the leather boot and pull directly up at the same time rather then on the boot, makes it really simple :)

Crapdaz
04-06-2008, 10:09 AM
i always get two clips out first when fingers pull from the side trim of the boot and the last two i dont pull with extreme force but use a solid hand to hold it and gently pull out then it undoes itself.

tend to find the clips fly off cause they are slightly loose.

NOTE: never use a flathead to pry as that will do more damage then good.

Darkii_
04-06-2008, 11:14 PM
man i failed once again, tried so hard my fingers are killing me now. Anyone in brisbane want to give me a hand =)

aaronng
05-06-2008, 08:23 AM
man i failed once again, tried so hard my fingers are killing me now. Anyone in brisbane want to give me a hand =)
Put your fingers where the boot meets the trim. Pull gently from there. But pulling the boot is best because it either totally pops out or not at all.

Crapdaz
05-06-2008, 09:30 AM

okay, 1st time to get it out is always a b*tch.

just have index to fourth finger holding onto each side within the boot and try to wriggle when you pull (NO BRUTE FORCE otherwise might crack your trim).

Darkii_
06-06-2008, 11:53 PM
Hey guys,

Just an update. after vigorously pulling on the shiftboot for awhile i finally got it off and put it up under my knob! woohoo, thanks for all the help guys

Crapdaz
07-06-2008, 01:33 PM
no worries glad the trim gave way at last.

at least it wasnt as hard when i did the short shifter assembly, stupid u clip was stuck for ages even when prying it as hard as i could.

snYpz
07-06-2008, 02:32 PM
i bought a momo auto gear knob.
http://www.momo.it/Momo/pomelli/immagini/automatico/pelle.jpg
havent fitted it on though..
but i took a look at it..
basically the mechanism to push the button down so as to shift the lever is fine..
but the bottom plastic that attaches the OEM gear knob to the shift bag doesnt fit the momo and requires abit of DIY(remove that plastic and find a way to attach the shift bag to the new gear knob) or maybe a new shift bag..

Anyone know of any good gear knob change for auto?

aaronng
07-06-2008, 05:02 PM
Anyone know of any good gear knob change for auto?
Go and have a look. You'll need one that has a button.

acura_ek1
10-06-2008, 08:22 PM
does anyone know if a ek9 shift boot fits?

Darkii_
10-06-2008, 10:34 PM
I'm not sure about that one mate, but if someone tries and it fits i might be interested in getting one myself =)

acura_ek1
12-06-2008, 12:42 PM
I'm not sure about that one mate, but if someone tries and it fits i might be interested in getting one myself =)

got a mate that just ordered one for his ek so you will soon find out :thumbsup:

Darkii_
12-06-2008, 09:01 PM
awsome, let us know!

snYpz
13-08-2008, 08:58 AM
Go and have a look. You'll need one that has a button.

So this wont work in our euros will it?

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee64/mugen0132/HPIM0793a.jpg

aaronng
13-08-2008, 09:40 AM
So this wont work in our euros will it?

[img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee64/mugen0132/HPIM0793a.jpg[img]
No because the TSX has a gated shifter without the button, while the Euro has a regular shifter with button.

EuroAccord13
13-08-2008, 04:25 PM
I've seen one Euro that has a Razo Auto Gear knob with a button on top, go find out if they have it in their catalogue...

honki3rider
13-08-2008, 07:04 PM
doesn't that gear knob in the picture have a button at the top in the middle?
looks like a button to me.. :confused:

aaronng
13-08-2008, 09:49 PM
doesn't that gear knob in the picture have a button at the top in the middle?
looks like a button to me.. :confused:

TSX auto stick does not have a button. But it does have a thicker stick.

tony1234
14-08-2008, 07:58 AM
TSX auto stick does not have a button. But it does have a thicker stick.
Hmmm,a thicker stick sounds good to me.:p

aaronng
14-08-2008, 08:28 AM
Hmmm,a thicker stick sounds good to me.:p
Haha, but it is more difficult to find a bigger knob to fit that bigger stick :p :p

Crapdaz
14-08-2008, 09:12 AM
Haha, but it is more difficult to find a bigger knob to fit that bigger stick :p :p

replace your stick as a whole!