PDA

View Full Version : radiator Q's

garett
25-04-2005, 09:29 PM
ok have a few questions about radiators

my eg has a b16a2 and i use a 0.9 bar single core radiator, what is the benifit of upgrading to a twin core 1.1 bar radiator?

i ask some shop assistants and the only answer i get is that they are better for racing, i guess it would be they can take the pressure better?
then i ask what the benifit of puting a 1.3 bar radiator cap on the radiator? again the only answer i get out of the retards is that the engine wont blow up if i use a 1.3 bar radiator

as my radiator works really well and the car is allways sitting at a perfect temp do i have any worries in upgrading the radiator anyway?

**Ghost**
25-04-2005, 09:37 PM
i read in a magazine that radiator caps with high pressure ratings increases er the boiling point of the coollant.... i guess more pressure = cooler

BUT... i've always been doubtful that a radiator cap does all that damn much

tegstar83
26-04-2005, 12:45 AM
it must because spoon and Mugen have it and do they sell useless stuff??
*ok ok I admit the spoon socks are kinda ghey :D*

**Ghost**
26-04-2005, 01:05 AM
spoon and mugen are good companies... i agree... but yes they do sell a lot of useless expensive crap

tegstar83
26-04-2005, 01:09 AM
what else would u say is useless from them excluding stickers??

garett
26-04-2005, 07:26 AM
genuine mugen brake socks, they are flame proof you know, so if your engine catches on fire at least your resevoirs will be ok,
my car runs very cool.... so prolly wouldnt need to change it, its allways below half way on the temp gauge even on the hottest of days

anyone know what the benifit of having a twin core radiator is??

**Ghost**
26-04-2005, 10:28 AM
.... i really doubt i care about the reservoirs if my engine actualy caught fire... actually i'll reiterate... some mugen items are not USELESS>.. just they are useless to street applications

SiR JDM
26-04-2005, 08:03 PM
Garret, unless your putting alot of stress under your engine, the single core aluminium radiator is fine.

I know of atleast 2 other people, using the same radiator as you on b18c2 and b18c7 blocks respectivly and have not had 1 issue with over heating.

OB
26-04-2005, 08:13 PM
I know of atleast 2 other people, using the same radiator as you on b18c2 and b18c7 blocks respectivly and have not had 1 issue with over heating.

I've been using one on my B18c since i got her dropped in nearly 2 years ago... same as above ^^... no issues..! :thumbsup:
All street driving though... not sure what it would be like... if she was tracked... :confused:

Do you plan to track it...? regularly...

garett
27-04-2005, 04:49 PM
umm i do plan on tracking her when i get some things sorted out (making the car trackable)

but it would only be every couple of months or so.....? so maybe when i have money to waste ill upgrade to a twin core, i drive in town all the time and the heat is not an issue to me, its great!

sivic
27-04-2005, 10:34 PM
just see how it goes once you track it. but anyway - twin core radiator = more surface area = more heat dispersion = cooler

and yeah, as mentioned a higher pressure radiator/radiator cap increases the boiling point of the coolant. at a molecular level it basically means the coolant molecules have to heat up more before they reach boiling point and turn gaseous at which point they release heat. just allows your coolant to hold/absorb more heat. like a pressure cooker

garett
28-04-2005, 01:10 PM
haha..... like rice in a pressure cooker