View Full Version : dc2 gearbox

vti-r teg
27-04-2005, 10:26 AM
My dc2's gearbox is feeling a bit stiff. I just had the oil changed and that helped a little.
The car has only done 100,000k's and i'm pretty gentle on my gears although i don't know what the previous owner was like. Has anyone ever heard of one of these boxes wearing out in that time or n e 1 else had probs?
I'm a bit paranoid as my last car(peugeot 405 mi16) cost me over $1000 every time it went for an oil change.
any help would be appreciated.

quangsta
27-04-2005, 01:17 PM
yerr my dc2 vtir gearbox box's input shaft bearing broke and alone just for that bearing i think costed me 150bux shipped from japan so i decided to get the full set of bearings and change dem all at once which costed me 850 i think again...also becareful cause alot of the mechanics i went to gave me different diagnosis some said input shaft(which is a common problem) then some said bearing some said both so yerr from memory input shaft approx 950 fixed...input shaft and just the input shaft bearing is 1400...this is south eastern suburbs so if ur from the west maybe it will be different...oh yerr and make sure, dont know how you are going to make sure you know what oil there using because somtimes they use automatic transmisson oil as a replacement which 'supposedly' works but i think thats how my broke

sorry for the long post but yerr hope it helps
cheers

wynode
27-04-2005, 03:54 PM
Input shaft bearing was no way near $150 (more like $50 but I can double check). I don't imagine it'd be much more for a dc2 vti-r box.

Anyways, can you elaborate a bit more on 'stiff' ?

vti-r teg
27-04-2005, 04:09 PM
Anyways, can you elaborate a bit more on 'stiff' ?

sure, sometimes changing into gear it just wont go in. If you release the clutch then push it in again it will go into gear. Happens mainly shifting from 1st to 2nd and shifting 2nd to 3rd.
Does not crunch! just wont go in. :(

wynode
27-04-2005, 05:52 PM
Does it only happen when its cold / get easier when its warm?

If not, it might be a bent shift fork.......

SiR JDM
27-04-2005, 06:02 PM
If not, it might be a bent shift fork.......

Wyn i heard from a mechanic down here in melb that with honda gearboxes shift forks are near impossible to bend as they are like cast iron steel or somethin.. ?

Synchros are a VERY common problem.. they start to burr ... lack of lubrication... or using wrong lube... as well has flat shifting will severley decrease the life of your box

wynode
27-04-2005, 06:08 PM
Wyn i heard from a mechanic down here in melb that with honda gearboxes shift forks are near impossible to bend as they are like cast iron steel or somethin.. ?

I've seen bent honda shift forks (well for d-series I have and they're VERY similar to b-series)!

Other little things to check are oil (he mentioned having changed his oil and that helped a bit......so maybe a thinner oil) or even check engine mounts!

ECU-MAN
27-04-2005, 10:11 PM
iv also replaced quite a few in my time, also in autos, but they do bend. and so do shafts.

weeman
07-05-2005, 12:20 PM
sure, sometimes changing into gear it just wont go in. If you release the clutch then push it in again it will go into gear. Happens mainly shifting from 1st to 2nd and shifting 2nd to 3rd.
Does not crunch! just wont go in. :(

mine does exactly the same thing. it gets a little bit easier when it warms up.
double clutching helps a little bit but sometimes it just wont go in. its mainly going from 3rd to 2nd. i thought i might just need to change the gearbox oil, but if its something else i dont know, i really need to find out.

if any one could help me out i would really appreciate it thanx.

have you figured out what the problem is/was yet

vti-r teg
07-05-2005, 02:46 PM
mine does exactly the same thing. it gets a little bit easier when it warms up.
double clutching helps a little bit but sometimes it just wont go in. its mainly going from 3rd to 2nd. i thought i might just need to change the gearbox oil, but if its something else i dont know, i really need to find out.

if any one could help me out i would really appreciate it thanx.

have you figured out what the problem is/was yet

Still no idea, i changed the oil and it helped a bit but yeah, dunno :(

papie
07-05-2005, 07:00 PM
maybe cluch mine used to be hard to get into gears changed the cluch and that fixed it

weeman
09-05-2005, 08:17 AM
maybe cluch mine used to be hard to get into gears changed the cluch and that fixed it

is there any way to adjust the clutch so that it is fully engaged without the clutch pedal being all the way in, that might help, anyone know how

vti-r teg
09-05-2005, 06:40 PM
I was told that the clutch cannot be adjusted as it is hydrolic

GSI-PSI
09-05-2005, 06:53 PM
that is correct

r`Geno
09-05-2005, 08:37 PM
If you cant find it, grind it - well that's what happened in 2nd gear :(

vti-r teg
09-05-2005, 08:46 PM
If you cant find it, grind it - well that's what happened in 2nd gear :(

haha, hows about no :thumbdwn:

EG_2_TEG
09-05-2005, 10:49 PM
is the problem similar to this:
not being able to downshift from 3rd gear to 2nd gear till you slow down to about 20km/h?

i had that prob with mine. used redline gearbox fluid to sort it out. took about 2 weeks before the new fluid settled in 100%

garett
10-05-2005, 08:45 AM
what oils are recommended if he were to go something thinner, obviously everyone would suggest oem oils, but if he needs to go for something thinner would a synthetic 75w 90 or something equivalent be ok??

i had a guy suggest to me that engine oil was good for my gearbox and i have a y1 i think

weeman
10-05-2005, 10:19 AM
is the problem similar to this:
not being able to downshift from 3rd gear to 2nd gear till you slow down to about 20km/h?

i had that prob with mine. used redline gearbox fluid to sort it out. took about 2 weeks before the new fluid settled in 100%

yeh thats what happens to mine, its getting really anoying

EG_2_TEG
10-05-2005, 05:37 PM
the one i used was the superlightweight redline fluid

supposedly its as thin as auto trans fluid