PDA

View Full Version : Honda Lgend AWD discussion

The-Genesis
27-04-2005, 08:53 PM
I have been monitoring the US release of this car. Sounds very perfect but the yanks are complaining :p Read almost endless reviews of the car from US sites (google) The car beats mercedes to the ground in the luxury department. Also beats every car for value for money feild. Every review that i read they complained that it needs a v8. Described it has no low end power. Its typical honda more power to torque ratio. Im not sure why and how this is. They consider it a bad thing because in the luxury department people want power from the slight touch of the accelerater with a big v8 grunting under the hood. They compare the car directly to lexus mercedes v8 cars which i find unfair. The fact is they call it heavy, and slow compared to its v8 competitors.
I think it is unfair to compare a car like the legend to cars which have 2 extra cylinders. They ignore the fact that its handling can go around anything comfortably. 300 hp from a v6 is a very more then decent output. The car is more luxury and sport orientated due to the fact u have to rev it up a bit to get some power(just like the euro, which i love to do :P ). I eagerly anticipate the release of it here and would like what you guys think.

Due to its price and performance, i think it may go very well here.

:honda: :honda:

wynode
28-04-2005, 03:32 PM
Agreed! That would be the same reason the american's complained about the S2000 (ok so others did too) and that's why they got a 2.2L version. Honda is quite infamous for having torque-less engines with a high peak output so I guess they're keeping in tradition. From what I have read also, this should be a nice mix of performance/luxory like the Euro.......just taken a few steps further in both departments.

Kawasaki
28-04-2005, 05:47 PM
I think its a great looking car with some serious technology on board.. and 300hp is a fair bit of punch. Yanks = cry babies

Also its branded under Acura which is meant to be Honda's luxury Car wing... I dont see a type r badge on it or any other previous legends.

Fr3aKi3
28-04-2005, 06:05 PM
imho i believe that according to americans if it doesnt hav a V8 then it cant be called a car. I know that this a very stereotypical view but i'm not saying that all americans are like this, just the majority that are seen on forums prefer straight line v8 grunt and nothing else.

anyways... i rekon the Legend would be an awesome car, its hard to say if it'd be a hit here or not, coz although it mite be more luxurious and better value for money than a merc/bimmer/audi it'd probably be hard for ppl to justify spending 80 000 on a honda (just guessing the price). The badge unfortunately makes a lot of difference. Dont get me wrong i love honda, been a fan since i cant remember when...

oh... btw i heard rumours that the legend went around nurburg quicker than an R34 gtr, dunno if this is true or not but can any1 confirm this?

good luck to honda with the legend
hopefully it'd follow in the footsteps of the euro and be a big hit

The-Genesis
28-04-2005, 06:51 PM
ill look into that freaki.

edit: sreached google, im afraid thats not true freakie.

Chris_F
28-04-2005, 07:51 PM
I haven't read much about the new legend so i cant really comment... but what is everyones opinion on the styling? I personally thought it could have been more agressive - with a lower stance. But overall pretty nice

The-Genesis
28-04-2005, 08:22 PM
i like the styling. unique is a good word.

Fr3aKi3
28-04-2005, 09:29 PM
styling wise i think its nice, a lil tame but nice

but then i s'pose thats a good thing, give ppl more incentive to mod it
heheh

91'lude
30-04-2005, 12:07 PM
I dont get it sometimes, yanks ALWAYS winge about shit like this, but than the civic scene is so enourmous over there its not funny...

I guess its a split population.

The-Genesis
30-04-2005, 12:33 PM
with petrol prices etc going off the roofs im hoping them to stop craving for those fuel guzzling v8s.

S92
30-04-2005, 06:25 PM
less v8s on the road and more honda lol

91'lude
30-04-2005, 08:48 PM
How is 300 horsepower slow? That would be over 200kw... more than fast enough...

The 190kw alloytec holdens over here, have plenty of power, with there crappy auto boxes, how they can they call it underpowered?

Savant
01-05-2005, 11:18 AM
you find it unfair they compare it to a v8 lexus? why? they are in the same category!

the people who are buying this car generally are old! they don't want to have to plant their foot to get some power, they want to press the accellerator halfway down and take off immediately!! they don't care about petrol prices either, who would if you can afford cars in this category?!

If it is sports suspension i'm assuming it's not as comfortable as other luxury suspensions. I can't see my 70 year old grandpa feeling every bump in the road.

A few posts here in this thread have been saying that 300hp is plenty of power and a v8 is not needed. Are you the same people that in other threads have been saying that "peak power hardly means anything. it's all about power curve and torque."

Of course there is a split population over there. just as there is here! People looking for a cheap economical car buy civics, those who want luxury buy a merc, those who want power and handling buy a ferrari. Can you see bill gates driving around in a civic?!

Honda are always trying to add race technology to their cars, which is great. But not in this case. Cars in this category have v8's, v12's and even FI v12's putting out Nkm's of torque and here honda have used a v6. It just doesn't cut it in performance as i mentioned earlier and also in the wank factor of
"I have a v8"
"I have a v12"
"I have a v6" (which many family cars have).

You guys need to look for what is, not what you think should be!

adammet04
01-05-2005, 12:33 PM
I think it looks pretty cool and the specs look good...hard to pass judgment on a car until you have driven it though...will definately llok forward to giving one of these a quick fang !!.

91'lude
01-05-2005, 07:01 PM
you find it unfair they compare it to a v8 lexus? why? they are in the same category!

the people who are buying this car generally are old! they don't want to have to plant their foot to get some power, they want to press the accellerator halfway down and take off immediately!! they don't care about petrol prices either, who would if you can afford cars in this category?!

If it is sports suspension i'm assuming it's not as comfortable as other luxury suspensions. I can't see my 70 year old grandpa feeling every bump in the road.

A few posts here in this thread have been saying that 300hp is plenty of power and a v8 is not needed. Are you the same people that in other threads have been saying that "peak power hardly means anything. it's all about power curve and torque."

Of course there is a split population over there. just as there is here! People looking for a cheap economical car buy civics, those who want luxury buy a merc, those who want power and handling buy a ferrari. Can you see bill gates driving around in a civic?!

Honda are always trying to add race technology to their cars, which is great. But not in this case. Cars in this category have v8's, v12's and even FI v12's putting out Nkm's of torque and here honda have used a v6. It just doesn't cut it in performance as i mentioned earlier and also in the wank factor of
"I have a v8"
"I have a v12"
"I have a v6" (which many family cars have).

You guys need to look for what is, not what you think should be!

Yeah i see your point, for a upmarket Sedan, more power is needed at lower rev's.

Kinda like the NSX, when most people are going turbo/v8/v10/12. Honda goes a 6 cylender car... which although is great performance, doesnt compare to the rush a v8 gives.

UNLS1
02-05-2005, 05:38 PM
i must say i cant wait for this car, the power honda get out of V6's is fantastic....and im a holden man and i can say that the accord V6 now is so much better than the alloytech V6...

BUT..honda really do need a new engine...they need some performance bad...i work at honda but still i keep my gen 3 5.7V8 as i love the feeling of starting my car after driving lil hondas round all day and having more than enough power to boot!

I would love to see a honda V8 or turbo some time....but maybe they just dont wanna go into that market....

Look at the s2k 76 od grand for a new one...man if i had 75k to blow i would go a HSV GTO right away, better value for money, heaps more potential for more power with just bolt ons....and its heaps quicker down the 1/4 stock

honda just needs a good motor to let others know they can build a tough performance car...

jimmy

Vivski
02-05-2005, 05:48 PM
People looking for a cheap economical car buy civics
More like Hyundai Getz. :p It's scary how many of those things they sell.

Don't worry, there's a big Honda loving, hard suspension, twisties loving crowd in the States too. You don't hear from them much, but they're there. The people who like that style of car wont be scared off buying it by the reviews.

And I can see how these reviewers come to that conclusion. Most people would feel strange revving the brains out of an engine. Honda owners know what it's all about. Revs, revs and more revs!!

-Viv-

EDIT: Oh and remember you lose a fair bit of power through the AWD system.

The-Genesis
03-05-2005, 02:29 PM
how do you use power from AWD. I read earlier it distributes power evenly and have not read anything about power loss. 0-100 secs is very good i may add its fast as that mazda RX8.

91'lude
03-05-2005, 07:57 PM
Thats cos the rx8 is a heap of crap...

The AWD loses power through the diff splitting it, and the further it has to travel through the drivetrain the more power loss...

The simple explanation, Put a HSV Coupe 4 on the dyno next to a Ls1 clubsport and see the difference...

Chris_F
03-05-2005, 08:09 PM
"honda just needs a good motor to let others know they can build a tough performance car..."

honda needs a good motor? that's pretty laughable man - they kinda know what they are doing when it comes to engines.

But i get what your saying about the massive ammounts of power that can be found for cheaper (s2000's case). I'd still get an s2000 over a HSV though, i just love honda's level of technology. Better still a second hand bmw m3 :cool:

jackosimm
04-05-2005, 06:37 AM
Yanks = cry babies

yes....yes
but yeah seriously a honda to mercedes, I know what I would choice if you gave me an option, and im sure almost everyone hear would. But that would never happen, so why compare the legend with the best in the game just to say its not as great as the big guns.

The-Genesis
04-05-2005, 01:44 PM
This is a honda forum last time i checked :P The new elegend is a worthy competitor. Offers everything or even more then merc offers etc. So in luxury the legend goes well. IN comparing it to V6s. It beats them on the ground. When it comes to V8 that is where it steps down in peoples eyes. This car i think is offered in FWD and AWD. I would rather offer it IN RWD and AWD. The power loss would be minimum i guess but im sure it is offered in FWD too.

UNLS1
04-05-2005, 01:55 PM
ah well good read this is...

all i can say is when we have a drive day with the new legend ill post up and let u know what i think

im sure ill be over the moon with it...

The-Genesis
08-05-2005, 09:52 AM
Got an official figure. 0-100 km/h in 7 seconds.
Im not sure if that is slow for a v6 auto. Its very slow compared to v8s.
Is 7 seconds slow? give opinions. :)

hondamoz
08-05-2005, 01:50 PM
less v8s on the road and more honda lol

i second that..

UNLS1
10-05-2005, 05:26 PM
lol we need more v8s, u guys only want less coz u cant keep up lol

anyways got told by the boss tonight apparently the new legend will be around $69,990....not drive away though but it will be very close to the price of the MDX drive away....
THats a much better price than the old legend.

Ill keep u all posted when i find out more from Honda Australia

-jimmy

civ_sik
13-05-2005, 08:26 AM
that price sounds alright cnsidering