PDA

View Full Version : B16A Engine Choice

CAT_SPEW
14-01-2004, 04:43 PM
Hey all, I have just found an engine for my 1992 EG civic hatch and I need to know if it is going to be ok to go in?
So far I have been told that it is a 1991-1996 EG JDM CRX half cut and is is a hydraulic clutch and I should be getting more details tommorow.
So I need to know anything about this half cut that you guys and gals might know? Any power output figures or anything at all really, and if I should have any trouble with the engine mounts etc.

I have researched a bit on this engine conversion but would really appreciate all your info.

Cheers, Matt.

BLKCRX
14-01-2004, 06:44 PM
Its a great engine it will come with a obd0 wiring harness along with a pr3 ecu. You might find thow you might need to freshen up the motor ( new rings / gaskets ) if its got over 250,000km on it.
apart from that its the same as any b16, get the correct engine mounts and axels, upgrade the brakes if you can and your done. Its also good you have the hydraulic clutch although im sure back they were all cable, if its hydraulic it means your gettin a y1 gearbox which is a great gearbox. Good luck.. bring on the mods and the tuning !
ps what car are you putting it in... ? if its any Honda civic 90 - 96 makes life very easy !!!

Regards James

CAT_SPEW
14-01-2004, 06:53 PM
It's all sounding very good :D:D
It's going to be put into a 1992 EG GL civic hatch so yeh it should go pretty smoothly I hope. I don't think it has many K's on it but I will probably replace the usual things that need replacing anwyay. The guy is not certain until the engine is delivered whether it is cable or hydraulic but even if it's cable it shouldn't be too hard to change around.
Can't wait to get it in their and start modding like you said ;)
First on the list probably a home-made CAI and keep with the existing exhaust that is on there now. 2.25" to 4" tip should be fine right?

Then I'm getting some nice gold or black rims to suit the white colour so it should be great!:D

I know where to come if I got any more queries ;)
Cheers, Matt.

P.S
I just noticed the custom turbo kits in your sig their BLKCRX, do you work for Hondata? Because in a while (probably a year or so) I might be looking at turbocharing this engine 8)

BLKCRX
14-01-2004, 07:06 PM
If your going to turbo your car in the future I would leave your car stock now, and just save your money for your turbo conversion, why buy things twice. !
Theres many ways you can do your engine swap ! good luck just make sure the wiring goes obd1 or obd0 ( if there slack)

I am responsible for Hondata in Australia, as for my turbo kits I also design high quality race designed turbo kits for custom racecars in Australia, and hold the Victorian record for the fastest fwd car.

Regards James

CAT_SPEW
14-01-2004, 07:45 PM
I will make sure that I ask them if it's obd1 or obd2 tommorow when I givwe them a call. Thats really true, so I'll just save my money up after this conversion and my wheels because from what I've seen turbo kits cost a fair bit if they are done properly.
I think I have the video of you doing an 11.65 or something at Heathcote in you CRX? Very very nice man.
I'll be sure to contact you when I get a bit more money.

BLKCRX
14-01-2004, 07:53 PM
stay away from obd2 you don't want that... ! become way to expensive to mod..... the ECU side of things....
apart from that good luck
and yeah that was my car at Heathcote.. hmm still in the testing thow getting ready for some faster pass's soon !

Regards James

CAT_SPEW
14-01-2004, 08:29 PM
Haha that would be pretty sweet to have your car mate ;)
I'm not so sure on this whole obd thing. I'm gonna have a search on google now but if you or anyone could give me some brief info on what it's all about and why get this insead of that etc.?

And if anyone can think of some questions, or things that I should look at before I buy it because I will be goin tover there tommorow. Just like are their certain areas that are notorious for trouble on the car or anything like that.

Cheers, Matt.

CAT_SPEW
15-01-2004, 03:37 PM
I have just found out that it is an automatic..... But we are going to use my gearbox that I already have.
I remember seeing somewhere that the automatics were crap? That they produced less power etc. etc.
Is this true or are they perfectly fine?
I need to know real soon because they are setting it up running for us to have a look at tommorow.

Cheers, Matt.

2ds
15-01-2004, 04:26 PM
automatics just work differently, they have a torque converter (basically a clutch that engagues when your engine reaches a certain rpm). They tend to have less throttle response as they arn't exactly locked into a gear like with traditional manuals and they lose more power through the gearbox/transmission for the same reasons and because of the extra complexity.

if this explination is over simplistic it's because my understanding is too =)

blkcrx is hondata is australia. like acs drag he doesn't actually have a real car. he has pictures of a car that he shows people, the real thing has never been viewed by human eyes. =)

-2ds

CAT_SPEW
15-01-2004, 04:35 PM
So the engine is tuned no differently to the maunual? So if I just stick on the maunal gearbox it would be as if it was a manual in the first place?
I'm just tryig to see if I'm loosing any power or torque by buying an automatic half-cut?
And also I just found this site [urlhttp://dwolsten.tripod.com/articles/aug89.html[/url]

About 6 paragraphs down it says this

"The same engine, mated to a new four-speed electronically controlled automatic transmission, is tuned differently, with emphasis on low-end torque characteristics. It is rated at 112 bkW JIS net at 7100 rpm and produces a maximum 150 N·m torque at 6000 rpm, with the engine redlined at 7500."

..??

[[d a n n y]]
15-01-2004, 05:11 PM
changing the auto box into manual is a bitch job i suggest u get a manual instead

CAT_SPEW
15-01-2004, 05:34 PM
It is? What is involved roughly?
Are you saying that it would be hard without all the right tools etc.?
Because we've got our own workshop in the backyard with a hoist etc. So would that make it alot easier?

[[d a n n y]]
15-01-2004, 11:26 PM
well mate the tools are 1 thing

the mechanics invoved in that process is just so..well...not worth it..

how much is ur engine anywayz why do u want this engine so bad

how many kays?

tinkerbell
16-01-2004, 12:34 PM
Its a great engine it will come with a obd0 wiring harness along with a pr3 ecu. You might find thow you might need to freshen up the motor ( new rings / gaskets ) if its got over 250,000km on it.
apart from that its the same as any b16, get the correct engine mounts and axels, upgrade the brakes if you can and your done. Its also good you have the hydraulic clutch although im sure back they were all cable, if its hydraulic it means your gettin a y1 gearbox which is a great gearbox. Good luck.. bring on the mods and the tuning !
ps what car are you putting it in... ? if its any Honda civic 90 - 96 makes life very easy !!!

Regards James

um, i hate to contradict the Australian Hondata dealer, but i highly doubt that the JDM EG CRX is OBD0, let alone with a PR3 ecu...

nore were the EG CRX's fitted with cable transmissions...

CAT SPEW - i think Honda phased out the different auto/man cams in the second series of B16A's (EG onwards) so i dont think that will affect power...

anyone know for sure?

i have a set of manual B16A cams i could give you to test if you are concerned...

CAT_SPEW
16-01-2004, 12:36 PM
Aww I see what you are saying. Well we've decided not to buy this one as their is too much extra costs/work involved. ie. need a manual ECU, manual gearbox which seems to be pretty scarse.
So I have called another import shop and they are going to tell us when they have located one in Japan, then we put downa deposit and it's ours.

They are getting rarer and rarer so I'm trying to get one every opurtunity I can.
The price they had on this one was $2250 but they were bringing it down because it is an automatic. And I'm not sure on the amount of K's on it.

[[d a n n y]]
16-01-2004, 12:44 PM
mate 2.5g's i got mine for

full dressed hafl cut

CAT_SPEW
16-01-2004, 12:53 PM
Where from??? How many K's on it?
And this one had the panels taken off aswell because apparently they are worth a bit..

Setanta
17-01-2004, 09:22 PM
The auto EG B16a's run less power than the manuals - I researched this for Bee when she was looking at options. As I understand it the ECU is different as are the valve springs - unfortunately I can't locate the info on it - think it was some site on a 4G wagon that had been B16'd.

Waste of time - get a manual cut.

ALLMTR
17-01-2004, 09:26 PM
Autos also have milder cams

CAT_SPEW
17-01-2004, 10:00 PM
Yeh I always thought it was probably something like that, but never had proof of it. But it sounsd as though the manual cut is the way to go.
Thnx all.

ckkl
11-02-2004, 08:35 PM
Autos also have milder cams

And they also have lower compression pistons. Autos use same compression as Gen 1 B16A and export-spec B16A (i.e. 10.2:1 vs 10.4:1 for the manual)

LatinoHatchCrap
15-02-2004, 09:46 AM
if iuts auto stay way from it; the engine its not tuned to work with a manual tranny