PDA

View Full Version : Converting EK GLi to VTI-R

skoota
14-01-2004, 06:17 PM
Hey,

Look I want to change my GLi to a VTI-r, and besides the engine swap and stuff, which there have been millions of posts, the only difference between the two i can figure is the sunroof. Now, I was just thinking, how much it would be to get one installed? Has anyone done it? How do you do it, and are Honda the only ones that can do it? I'm thinking it's probably a waste of time rah-rah-rah and money, and would prob be best just buying a VTI-r instead but would just like to know. So, has anyone done it?

CAT_SPEW
14-01-2004, 06:21 PM
I have never installed a sunroof but from what I have been told if you don't get it done professionally then it will let rain in and yadayada. So if your going to do it go for the good company, like honda (if they will do it?) or someone else well known.

[[d a n n y]]
14-01-2004, 06:42 PM
the difference between both cars is like so many u cant evben think of...

if u start with the engine..then the sussy componenets bigger brakes

sunrook body wise...

sway bars struts just a few i an think out of my head...

so just a VTi-r

RAYTDR
14-01-2004, 07:13 PM
The interior is also different rear seats only fit 2 and im sure Gli fit 3 also front seats are different, tacho, etc and what the other guys said chasis, sus, brakes... better to buy VtiR unless u just want more power eg engine conversion 8)

phils_herre
14-01-2004, 08:01 PM
http://home.quicknet.com.au/tintplus/Sunroofs/Onyx.htm

try this link for the sunroofs buddy... farken expensive ya know lol...

Setanta
14-01-2004, 10:14 PM
Don't reinvent the wheel - flog the GLi off and buy the VTiR - unless you want to go a better motor than the B16A in which case keep the GLi as it'll be lighter :)

vti-2
14-01-2004, 10:43 PM
]]the difference between both cars is like so many u cant evben think of...

if u start with the engine..then the sussy componenets bigger brakes

sunrook body wise...

sway bars struts just a few i an think out of my head...

so just a VTi-r

:roll:

Anyway, forget doing it. It's like converting a VTi-R to a CTR. It just ain't possible. It would cost you more to source and install parts than if you were to just sell or trade in the Gli for the VTi-R. If you do try converting it across you might be able to swap heaps of parts in but at the end of the day you have a Gli chassis. :?

eg6powah
15-01-2004, 12:02 AM
imho just sell urs and get a vti-r

A'PEXi
15-01-2004, 12:37 AM
the gli's tacho doesnt go up to 9/10k like the vtir....

Civic Type R
15-01-2004, 11:22 AM
Don't reinvent the wheel - flog the GLi off and buy the VTiR - unless you want to go a better motor than the B16A in which case keep the GLi as it'll be lighter :)
Best advice given.
The interior is totally different. Suspension, stabiliser bars, brakes, everything under the hood, its a lot !

Civic Type R
15-01-2004, 11:23 AM
Anyway, forget doing it. It's like converting a VTi-R to a CTR. It just ain't possible. It would cost you more to source and install parts than if you were to just sell or trade in the Gli for the VTi-R. If you do try converting it across you might be able to swap heaps of parts in but at the end of the day you have a Gli chassis. :?
Not really.
This conversion is quite easy but CTR parts are expensive because of the american JDM whore bug.

[[d a n n y]]
15-01-2004, 12:17 PM
Not really.
This conversion is quite easy but CTR parts are expensive because of the american JDM whore bug.

that's what he said parts are expensive :D

vti-2
15-01-2004, 01:27 PM
Not really.

Really? Easy conversion? And how do you 'convert' a VTi-R chassis into a CTR chassis?

skoota
15-01-2004, 04:26 PM
Thanks guys for all the responses, it was as i suspected. FAARK it i'll just get a VTI-R Civic or teggy and piss my GLi off! :P

[[d a n n y]]
15-01-2004, 05:09 PM
GLI is still good all u need is a engine transplant and then just swop the basic sussy components over or get wjitle stuff or sources sum JDM stuff

Civic Type R
15-01-2004, 11:40 PM
Really? Easy conversion? And how do you 'convert' a VTi-R chassis into a CTR chassis?
Why bother ? really ...

Re rivetting the chassis is pointless and a waste of time. The EK4 chassis is strong enough and all EK9 parts are compatible.
I dont want to go a full exact EK9 replica because i like my sunroof, aircon and mod cons provided which the real ctr dont get.

Im being sendsible with my conversion, not hardcore and rediculous by worrying about irrelevant chassis differences.
;)

[[d a n n y]]
15-01-2004, 11:51 PM
Why bother ? really ...

Re rivetting the chassis is pointless and a waste of time. The EK4 chassis is strong enough and all EK9 parts are compatible.
I dont want to go a full exact EK9 replica because i like my sunroof, aircon and mod cons provided which the real ctr dont get.

Im being sendsible with my conversion, not hardcore and rediculous by worrying about irrelevant chassis differences.
;)

um..ok u've proved ur point's let's just stay on the topic ;)

vti-2
16-01-2004, 10:20 AM
Why bother ? really ...

;)

If the chassis on the EK4 is so good why didn't they use it for the EK9? Can you see my point? There's no way you can turn an EK4 into an EK9!

RAYTDR
16-01-2004, 10:38 AM
Why bother ? really ...

;)

If the chassis on the EK4 is so good why didn't they use it for the EK9? Can you see my point? There's no way you can turn an EK4 into an EK9!

Like Vic said it will always be an EK4

eknine
16-01-2004, 11:35 AM
in some ways the ek4 chassis is a lil stronger and heavier...take a look at the front rebar of the ek9 and compared it to the ek4...

maybe replicating its chassis 100% from an ek4 to an ek9 is likely off a cost equation but it is not impossible- you might not end up the same, but you can end up somewhere close...however looking at what's good on the ek4, you don't need everything off the ek9...one of those IMO is the front and rear re-bar...look at the ek4 and i say think safe, think strong:)

in other ways...you can always turn an ek4 to an ek9:) its not hard just dedication, money and the need to research...from the exterior , to the interior and into the bay:) ...as for the chassis, some parts of it can be to be modelled to the ek9 specs...some parts you just can't:(

pix of the front and rear re-bar, courtesy of aj-racing:)

http://www.aj-racing.com/Products/JDMHonda/EK/DSCN1315a.jpg

http://www.aj-racing.com/Products/JDMHonda/EK/DSCN1309a.jpg

one of the some areas where you can't replicate is this

image courtesy of spoonsports
http://www.spoon.jp/images/lineup/010_04.jpg

however the solution is this below and advised to couple with using beaks kits or some other reinforment kits to prevent subframe tear outs:)

http://www.aj-racing.com/Products/JDMHonda/EK/DSCN0579a.jpg

as much as i would like to show you pix gathered from research and contacts of the transformation or how things/methods/modifications made for the better in converting to the ek9, i just don't have the permission of the owner to show you in an open web space:)

the ek4 chassis is still much better compared to the gli:)

skoota
16-01-2004, 05:36 PM
shut-up i like my GLi ;)