PDA

View Full Version : Problem With Quick Shift Kit

chinkdood
01-05-2005, 09:59 AM
hey guys. im pretty new to this forum but i recently bought an eg5 witha quick shift, and everytime i actually change gears from 1st to 2nd n 2nd to 3rd quickly, i get a cruchin noise unless i do it slowly, i was told its bcoz it cant keep up or something, i would jstu like to know if this is true or is it that the kit was installed properly orsomething.

thx in advanced.

ECU-MAN
01-05-2005, 12:43 PM
on a gearbox in good condition, it would be fine untill you do it enough times till you kill your syncros and end up with the problem you have now.

chinkdood
01-05-2005, 01:26 PM
ohhokay, so wat can i do now to remove that crunching noise?
can i replace synchros ( not sure waht they are ) or ?

gelo
01-05-2005, 02:12 PM
do all short shifts kill ur synchros?

wot about stock type R's
coz i just got a stock ek9 shifter + linkages

chinkdood
01-05-2005, 04:56 PM
so is syncrhos fixable?

ECU-MAN
01-05-2005, 07:13 PM
replaceable yes,

just try shifting slower

flipmods
01-05-2005, 07:15 PM
Basically changing syncros means a gearbox recondition. Big buks.

gelo
01-05-2005, 07:54 PM
so if i have the type R short shifter
will it shorten the life of my synchros?

wot if i shift slowly with a short shifter?

SIKCVC
01-05-2005, 08:10 PM
gelo... you will encure the same wrath of the short shift :P just shift slow and it'll be fine, its more to do with bing faster than the gearbox not slower. Unless you're dragging theres no real need to be shifting so hard. so just take it easy and they'll be right.

wynode
01-05-2005, 10:33 PM
gelo... you will encure the same wrath of the short shift :P just shift slow and it'll be fine, its more to do with bing faster than the gearbox not slower. Unless you're dragging theres no real need to be shifting so hard. so just take it easy and they'll be right.
Correct.

Shifting faster will work your syncrhos harder. Just take your time and shift slower (but firmer) when driving around.

chinkdood
02-05-2005, 12:20 AM
yeh. i forgot to mention that. if u take ur time n shift slowly. thens ther is no crunching,
but like hwo bout if u wana give it a fairbit, therefore wana change gears faster, any other ways to fix?
i called up some local mechanic shop and he sed u can adjust someting under the clutch pedal or something, n mayb u can get into gear easier? is that true?

garett
02-05-2005, 08:38 AM
only if your clutch needs adjusting, so the release point is beyond either end of your pedal, it wont fix your problem unless your release point is at the very end of your pedal or the very beginning,

i dont think it will fix your problem, sometimes when rebuilding a gear box they can just replace the synchro springs which will fix the problem but for not as long as the cogs will need replacing eventually, and the cost to rebuild your gearbox is quite hefty so id recommend replaceing everything if you plan on keeping the car for longer than a year or so

garett
02-05-2005, 08:39 AM
i think you would have to get it fixed before you sold it, imagine taking some guy for a test drive in it and he or she crunches every gear!!!! i dont think they would buy it