PDA

View Full Version : Sunroof in CRX

chaosmaker
01-05-2005, 03:05 PM
Hey all,

I've got a 1988 CRX, it doesnt have a sunroof, but I've been thinking about getting one.

I always hear that sunroofs will ALWAYS leak after a while, and cause rust around them etc, etc.

Just wondering, will it really rust and leak after a while, or just depends on how good the job is? Also, how much do sunroofs cost on average?

Thanks.

Bumble B
01-05-2005, 04:43 PM
No... not all sunroofs will leak. I have a 1994 civic with factory sunroof and it doesnt leak. So it's been there 11 yrs on the car.... If you take care of your things, it will last longer.

Not sure about prices.. but like with everything, a good job won't go astray..

panda[cRx]
01-05-2005, 04:56 PM
lol should have bought an 89 ;)

bo279
01-05-2005, 06:16 PM
i had a 88 prelude before n it had a factory sunroof....that was bout 2 yrs ago n it did start to rust a lil bit...but it didnt actually leak..think it was more due to age...great things to hav...sunroofs..missed it terribly...

Bumble B: ur civic must be a vti....got a Si n wished they had factory sunroofs...DAM!!! hehehe

D16A8
01-05-2005, 07:10 PM
But seriously, who wants fast glass in the roof that has a motor that adds to the weight of your car? ;) Wind down a window! :D

Snoop_gee
01-05-2005, 07:51 PM
man i am living proof bro it can be done and done well
i got a 88 crx and it has an aftermarket sunroof lucky for me the previous owner had it professionally installed with rubber around the edges.... no leaks or rust

http://www.redpepperracing.com/gallery/albums/album322/aaj.sized.jpg

Disco-d
01-05-2005, 10:41 PM
Thats a killa aftermarket sunroof...i didnt know that they could be made that well...

so does ne1 know how much it would cost to get done? wouldnt mind getting one done.

panda[cRx]
01-05-2005, 10:48 PM
not a fan of glass sunroofs or the glass roofs on crxs

chaosmaker
01-05-2005, 11:36 PM
Thanks a lot for the replys.

Snoop gee, do u know where that person got the sunroof installed? I live in melbourne, and ill go anywhere around here if I know its gonna be a good job like your one has there.

Also, you know how much they paid for it?

Snoop_gee
02-05-2005, 07:57 AM
The reason for the succuss of my sunroof is because it pop's out then slides out so that any excess water is drained off when the sunroof pops open.Rather than something that is sunken in and slides across that's some of the reason why u get rust and leaks.

The pluses and minuses come in both so i should tell u mine is hand driven u got to turn the handle to open and close. The (+) light weight than some electronic device. (-) manual operations.

the manufactor is Hollandia Sunroofs so just do a google search and see. i would have a clue price wise but i am guessin $400-$600.

Qwooootz
02-05-2005, 09:53 AM
i heard you need to maintain the sunroof atleast every few years, if this is true can anyone recommend a place in sydney (western suburbs) that does this service thanks!

jackosimm
02-05-2005, 03:43 PM
I haven't heard anything about maintenence, but it does seem wise. I've got an aftermarket one put it and it has not caused me a single worry at all, in a 98 civic. With something like this, I would be more than happy paying top dollar with the assurance of knowing itll be a good job

CRXONE
03-05-2005, 11:14 AM
naa :thumbdwn:

If you are going to spend a $1000+ on an after market dodgey sunroof that looks like its out of a Datsun Sunny, then do so. :p

But seriosuly the Crx came out with a metal painted lid sunroof. This is the way it should look anything else doesnt look right. ;)

Dont be surprised if you get a quote of around $1500.

shep9ky
03-05-2005, 11:19 AM
When i first got me ek civic with a sunroof i thought it was awesome
after a week i never used it again.
My opinion is smarter money would be spent else where.
But it's up to you ofcourse

panda[cRx]
03-05-2005, 12:51 PM
^ i use mine every day (when my car is on the road :o)

liberx
04-05-2005, 10:42 PM
So let me get this straight. You have a nice and light little 88 gen 2 CRX.

And you want to add weight to it in the least desirable place. This weight will possibly cause leaks. Glass version will make the car hotter in the aussie Sun (if you go that route). Also causes sun to shine directly in to your eyes on a fine day (very annoying). It will also cause rust problems sooner or later. You may also loose a bit of torsional rigidity, something the CRX isn't over endowed with to start with. It will also creek and rattle.

I can think of many better ways to spend money on a crx. I have a factory sunroof, and it causes most of these issues - I hate to think what even a good quality after market one would be like.

Get over the gimmick, and do something worthwhile is my suggestion.

dc2dc2dc2
04-05-2005, 10:45 PM
sunroof is good..u get air in without all the noise, i use mine everyday as well, as long as its not raining! for me, it feels so wierd gettin' into a car without a sunroof. Oh well, but then again, think about it carefully it could be just a phase ur going through and regret it afterwards.

Scoota
05-05-2005, 01:16 AM
I'd reccommend the JDM Glass roof.
RARE but looks pretty HAWT and lightens the car a little :)

CRXONE
05-05-2005, 01:45 PM
Right. Just chuck in a JDM glass roof. Just like that! easy! :p :p

I say sell your car and buy a Crx with a sunroof or just live with without a sunroof.

Or spend $1500 on an aftermarket sunroof but make sure its simalir to that of the standard sunroof. Not this glass pop up type. dodgey :thumbdwn: