PDA

View Full Version : [Euro] Short Ram Vs. Normal Box w/ K&N Filter

Ronin
01-05-2005, 03:57 PM
What are your opinions.

I'm too lazy to go the full CAI, and probably don't want to risk anything on the car at this stage. Plus probably save $ on not going the full deal.

yfin
01-05-2005, 04:07 PM
What are your opinions.

I'm too lazy to go the full CAI, and probably don't want to risk anything on the car at this stage. Plus probably save $ on not going the full deal.

Forget changing the panel to K&N - I seriously doubt you will notice much difference unless you take out the resonator. Full CAI is great - but remember it is much louder than stock - I saw someone call the Injen the angry elephant at WOT - it is so true!!

Don't go short ram - it gets good results on the dyno but the gains start to dissapear in real life driving and there is a hot engine bay. The K series motor likes cold air - not sucking air from a hot engine bay. Have you noticed how hot it gets under the bonnet after a 30 minute drive! It is unbelievable how hot everything is.

I say go ICEBOX!! I have seen the light and loving the Icebox. I thought it might be just "ok" before I got it - now I have it - it is FANTASTIC! :D It is less than $250AUD shipped and you get a washable panel filter included. The response it great and the car sounds meaner! There is ZERO loss down low unlike the Injen or K&N. It is like a new car! Woo hoo. Highly recommended and I wish I did it earlier. Apparently the Icebox has very little risk of hydrolock too - I don't know the technical reason why but it is a bonus.

If you are sitting in 2nd gear and want some acceleration in the stock car it is quite gradual - it is good response but you need to wait until revs hit 5000rpm before things really happen! With the icebox I feel the difference in acceleration as soon as I kick the acclerator - it is no longer gradual response - it is instant. :thumbsup:

ps. - Nick and Euro77 - remember those 2 small silver Comptech pieces used with the stock screws on the box? Wouldn't you know - today they fit easily with the stock screws. I think the box has softened up a bit with the heat - had no problem today screwing the stock screws down all the way. Worked first time!

Ronin
01-05-2005, 06:05 PM
Alright. Time to find an ICEBOX!!

Where abouts are you in Melb? i might need a hand getting rid of the resonator.. i hear its a pain in the butt

yfin
01-05-2005, 06:57 PM
Alright. Time to find an ICEBOX!!

Where abouts are you in Melb? i might need a hand getting rid of the resonator.. i hear its a pain in the butt

Go for it. I am in SE Suburbs - but I am not the man to help with the install as all I did was remove the front rim! If you have the tools and follow the K&N Typhoon instructions you will be fine.

euro77
01-05-2005, 09:40 PM
ps. - Nick and Euro77 - remember those 2 small silver Comptech pieces used with the stock screws on the box? Wouldn't you know - today they fit easily with the stock screws. I think the box has softened up a bit with the heat - had no problem today screwing the stock screws down all the way. Worked first time!

Hey that's good news then :D
At least it won't be another wasted parts LOL
maybe it "somehow" has also settled in properly. Probably try tighten the other 2 screws (which has the 2 silver pieces to start with) if you haven't.

EuroAccord13
01-05-2005, 09:51 PM
Ronin, if you need help removing the Resonator, I can do that for you as I'm pretty versed with it now LOL!:D

Yfin - Good on ya... Mmmm You must still be excited by the box that you went mucking around with it again LOL!

euro77
01-05-2005, 10:04 PM
What are your opinions.

I can definitely suggest comptech icebox after having a testdrive in yfin's car.
like you, I'm lazy to go full CAI, so maybe one day I'll go with comptech icebox. but for the moment, I'm still waiting for more aftermarket intake products to show up for CL9. I hope ARC will make one some day :)

learner
01-05-2005, 10:11 PM
Ronin, if you need help removing the Resonator, I can do that for you as I'm pretty versed with it now LOL!:D

....err... the Resonator........
i dunno how u can remove it without taking off the front,EuroAccord13.
i just took off the resonator yesterday... have to took off the front bumper to do it.... took me 3.5hours to do it.... is lucky tat i able to put it all back together :D (i am very tired now)
EuroAccord13... is it possible to teach me how to remove the resonator without taking off the front bumper? thx

http://members.iinet.net.au/~tommi/ozHonda/Bumber/R001.jpg
http://members.iinet.net.au/~tommi/ozHonda/Bumber/R002.jpghttp://members.iinet.net.au/~tommi/ozHonda/Bumber/R003.jpg
http://members.iinet.net.au/~tommi/ozHonda/Bumber/R004.jpg

EuroAccord13
01-05-2005, 10:16 PM
I'm sure Yfin and Euro77 can vouch for me, I removed the resonator without taking out the Front Bumper :)..

It's rather easy now come to think of it.. The two screws that secures the resonator, one is easy to remove, the other is harder but I found that it can be done through the fog light cavity... :) All it needs is a bit of nudging and tender loving touch :D

yfin
02-05-2005, 09:24 PM
EuroAccord13... is it possible to teach me how to remove the resonator without taking off the front bumper? thx

Why do you need to know now after you have completed the job?!

euro77
02-05-2005, 09:58 PM
Why do you need to know now after you have completed the job?!
just in case he needs to put it back on, then remove it again one day? :D

yeah, nick pulled of the resonator without removing front bumper. got a bit of a help though nudging the resonator out :wave:

EuroAccord13
02-05-2005, 10:07 PM
just in case he needs to put it back on, then remove it again one day? :D

yeah, nick pulled of the resonator without removing front bumper. got a bit of a help though nudging the resonator out :wave:

Yeap! with Euro77's help, it was out in 2 mins instead of the usual 5 mins of non stop nudging! LOL!:wave: :D

stephen8512
02-05-2005, 11:53 PM
hmmmm
Learner, when you removed the resonator you removed ur front bumper....is ur euro standard or luxury? because if i wanted to resonater i thought taht i have to remove the bumper like urself but i have been reluctant to do so as the luxury model comes with the HID washers.....when u remove the bumper, is there any special care u have to take so as not to damage the washers?

and also, euroaccord13, ur euro is standard yes? would u have any idea on how to remove the resonater with the luxury's fog lights in play without removing the front bumper? or are all euro luxury owners destined to remove the whole front to remove that black box?

learner
03-05-2005, 12:27 AM
my one is standard... i have to remove the fog light wires b4 u take off the bumper. i think u just have to remove the lines tat connect to the hid washers as well.

hmmmm
Learner, when you removed the resonator you removed ur front bumper....is ur euro standard or luxury? because if i wanted to resonater i thought taht i have to remove the bumper like urself but i have been reluctant to do so as the luxury model comes with the HID washers.....when u remove the bumper, is there any special care u have to take so as not to damage the washers?

and also, euroaccord13, ur euro is standard yes? would u have any idea on how to remove the resonater with the luxury's fog lights in play without removing the front bumper? or are all euro luxury owners destined to remove the whole front to remove that black box?

EuroAccord13
03-05-2005, 03:34 PM

Mmmmm... I might have to take a look at Euro77's car sometime because he's got factory foglights... My take is that with abit of fiddly fingers, you might be able to get to that nut from the bottom of the front bar, that of course with the guards removed....