PDA

View Full Version : b16b? d16y5? sohc vs dohc?

fried
04-09-2003, 12:20 AM
hey all, sorry, im so confused.

ok, first of all, whats the difference between b16b? or is that me making up things>?! and the d16y5? or whatever?

whats the difference between the single ohc and the double? apart from *double being better*... like explain why? id unno....

annnnnnd..... is the ek vti sedan vtec?

thanks plenty!!

joneblaze
04-09-2003, 01:56 AM
hey all, sorry, im so confused.

ok, first of all, whats the difference between b16b? or is that me making up things>?! and the d16y5? or whatever?

whats the difference between the single ohc and the double? apart from *double being better*... like explain why? id unno....

annnnnnd..... is the ek vti sedan vtec?

thanks plenty!!

Eric,

u should just get a Teg bro... :twisted:
muhaha...

Weq
04-09-2003, 02:40 AM
it depends on what ek u get, some where (the coupes) some wernt.

dohc has to camshafts working together, one on intake side and one on the exhaust side of things. SOHC designs use the one camshaft for both of these actions. I'm not overaly knowledgeable on engine internals, but i am sure this is a simplistic explanation... howstuffworks.com is always good :P

SOHC:
d16y5 (EK VTi)
d16y4 (EK Gli)

SOHC VTEC:
d16y8 (Ek VTi Coupe)
d16y1 (EG VTi)
d16z6 (USDM EG VTi)

SOHC VTC-E:
d15z1

The reason the VTi coupe got the d16y8 (a USDM Motor) is becuase it was imported fromt he US. All aussie models only had the d16y5's. DONT look at oversea's sites and say 'such and such had this motor from this year" AUDM had mostly a completly different model range (motor wise).

That said, before u buy a car or while looking, jot down the engine model number (cast onto the block itself), that way u are 99%garenteed to get the engine ur after.

the b16b(~130kw) is quite rare, its the civic type-r DOHC VTEC engine. It makes more power then the b16a (118kw)DOHC VTEC series used in the VTIR civics.

edit: SOHC

Setanta
04-09-2003, 08:03 AM
d16y7 & d16y1 are the DOHC VTEC motors, both ~96kw

For DOHC, read SOHC isn't it?

The SOHC VTEC engines are a nice alternative to dropping in a ZC twin-cam - same performance :)

wynode
04-09-2003, 11:07 AM
The SOHC VTEC engines are a nice alternative to dropping in a ZC twin-cam - same performance :)

ZC (aka d16a8).

Actually I'd say the d16a8 has more potential for modding.........but I may be biased.

EDIT: Typo

EG4
04-09-2003, 12:53 PM
I would say the ZC has more potential as well

at the very least u know the mini me swap is available to the ZC

aZZ
04-09-2003, 03:00 PM
the ZC motor is kind of a rare one, so its a little harder to get stuff for them. the D16Z6 and the D16Y8, the SOHC Vtec units are easier to do up purely because our friends in the USA have had these motors for a while and know all the tricks to making them put out harder and also pioneered most of the mods for this model motor.

also as far as i know the mini me swap is only possible for the SOHC D series motors and the B series motors. appaerently you can't put on a B series head on the D series ZC motor just because they are both DOHC.

wynode
04-09-2003, 03:19 PM
appaerently you can't put on a B series head on the D series ZC motor just because they are both DOHC.
:thumbsup:

joneblaze
04-09-2003, 05:23 PM
cmon dudes go easy, he's newb asking newb questions. lol... dont have have go deep into engine discussion. how bout just a basic run down of the two models/engines and pros/cons? :oops: poor guys just after some info for the new civic he's getting....

wynode
04-09-2003, 05:29 PM
Theres a few Q's there fried, of which you will find some answers in the tech Sticky here (http://www.ozhonda.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=38)

fried
04-09-2003, 06:04 PM
lol... its true, im confused!

so the civics we get her are the jap motors? because all you are saying the d16y5 is SOHC NON VTEC, whilst the american site jdmcivic.com is saying the d16y5 IS VTEC SOHC.

and if NOT a vtec... then what is the difference between the gli and vti sedans for eks? cant seem to find any huge differences, cept maybe the vti has a cup holder, and appearently a passenger airbag...

thanks!

Jnr Teggy
04-09-2003, 06:16 PM
lol... its true, im confused!

so the civics we get her are the jap motors? because all you are saying the d16y5 is SOHC NON VTEC, whilst the american site jdmcivic.com is saying the d16y5 IS VTEC SOHC.

and if NOT a vtec... then what is the difference between the gli and vti sedans for eks? cant seem to find any huge differences, cept maybe the vti has a cup holder, and appearently a passenger airbag...

thanks!

have a look in the sticky for "civic model info"

fried
04-09-2003, 06:34 PM
Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 2:40 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

it depends on what ek u get, some where (the coupes) some wernt.

dohc has to camshafts working together, one on intake side and one on the exhaust side of things. SOHC designs use the one camshaft for both of these actions. I'm not overaly knowledgeable on engine internals, but i am sure this is a simplistic explanation... howstuffworks.com is always good

the d16y5 is a SOHC non-vtec motor, 88kw
d16y7 & d16y1 are the DOHC VTEC motors, both ~96kw
the b16b(~130kw) is quite rare, its the civic type-r DOHC VTEC engine. It makes more power then the b16a (118kw)DOHC VTEC series used in the VTIR civics.

ok so i looked at the civic info thread sticky before, and its just round in circles, cos that says its 96kw which is the vtec engine.... but here says the d15y5 ISNT VTEC....

sorry, can u understand my confusion?

fried
04-09-2003, 07:01 PM
ok, i apologise guys, it has been brought to my attention that im a bumbling retard.

put simply...

i have checked the sticky already. the sticky says the ek vti sedans [which house a d16y5] are a 98kw@6800rpm SOHC engine. that i am assuming is the vtec engine [hence the 98kw].

weq has written that the d16y5 is a SOHC non-vtec motor, 88kw.

so i just want to know what the specs for the d16y5 actually are. for an ek vti sedan in australia.

thanks again.

Jnr Teggy
04-09-2003, 07:06 PM
exactly that!

88kw!...eg/ek vti's had 96kw

aZZ
04-09-2003, 07:08 PM
im pretty sure D vtec motors here are. D16Z6,D16Y8. just look on the motor, it should have VTEC on it.

joneblaze
04-09-2003, 07:08 PM
exactly that!

huh? so the EK Vti sedan has a 96 kw engine?

Jnr Teggy
04-09-2003, 07:09 PM
im pretty sure D vtec motors here are. D16Z6,D16Y8. just look on the motor, it should have VTEC on it.

thats also a good giveaway!

wynode
04-09-2003, 07:49 PM
exactly that!

huh? so the EK Vti sedan has a 96 kw engine?

No, the EK Vti is 88kW.

I have updated the sticky and corrected a few mistakes (there's soo many variations its not funnY!).

Civic model info (http://www.ozhonda.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc &highlight=)

And also check out the Honda engine codes (http://www.ozhonda.com/data/codes.htm)

Ask Weq to confirm the AUDM SOHC VTEC engine code.

EDIT: As said above, the SOHC VTEC motors have VTEC or VTEC-E (not as good) written on the rocker cover.

A'PEXi
04-09-2003, 08:20 PM
d16y4 - non-vtec sohc 88kw.

Setanta
05-09-2003, 01:00 AM
Gawd - now I'm getting confused and I've been running Civics for 18 years now :? Simplest solution is to ignore the D series and get a B powered car ;)

Just as info, the ZC was limited compared to all the SOHC varients, especially in the US tuning scene - so there tends to be more available for the SOHC VTECs from what other enthusiasts are saying. The B series is the exception to this of course :) Mugen got 200+ps from a ZC, but the rods are not up to the undue stress and are usually replaced with aftermarket items. I'm pretty sure someone in S.A. got that out of a 3G Civic Si as well - but it stopped being a street car. Mugen stuff is damn pricey and near impossible to get for the older series anyway - which is why a lot of people turn to forced induction.

Weq
06-09-2003, 02:46 PM
updated/added my orginal post(no 2). it was made late at night, soz for the errors.

wynode
06-09-2003, 03:22 PM
Thanks for that Weq.

I have updated the Civic Sticky (http://www.ozhonda.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc &highlight=).

If there are any errors let me know.