PDA

View Full Version : Wheel lock nuts

yfin
15-01-2004, 06:08 PM
Gday - do you guys think alloy wheel lock nuts are worthwhile putting on a Honda Accord Euro with stock rims? I don't think the locks are particularly expensive.

I figure that there are very few cars a Euro alloy wheel could fit. I also figure that theives would prefer to target alloys from more "common" cars like Commodores, etc.

Interested in your thoughts...

Spoon-Accord
15-01-2004, 06:21 PM
well from my 2 cents bro..
when i had my car low..
they wouldnt even fit a jack under my car..
even the stock one couldnt fit..
but u wont be lowering ur car so that doesnt work..
if i was u..
get 2 sets of wheel locks..
and have 2 special keys in ur car all time...
instead of one wheel lock nut.. they have to bypass 2

:D

thats just my opinion..

Ken

A'PEXi
15-01-2004, 09:32 PM
yeh u can buy lock nuts which have 2 different types/sizes of locks.... not too expensive, just go to your local tyre/wheel shop :D

blueeuro
01-09-2004, 04:57 PM
1. Are lock nuts really worth it, ie. do they stop theft ?

2. It's doin' me head in, must carry lock nut key so that if I get a flat I can change the tyre. Any theif with very few brain cells could work this out. Therefore to steal wheels means they must break into the car first to find lock nut key. What's the answer to carry or not to carry, to hide or not to hide ?

I do actually have lock nuts on my wheels but wonder what the answer is to the above questions ?

Paul

razaman
01-09-2004, 05:42 PM
I personally don't think it would be worth it. All Euro's come with alloys so that means whoever wants to steal them is going to put them on another car. Not sure someone would.

Raz - IMO

B|ade
01-09-2004, 05:51 PM
Ok

First thing, lock nuts do sweet **** all! Anyone who knows wat they are doing will always be able to get them off. All you need is a smaller sized lug wrench and they will be able to pry them off. I know this because I left my lock nuts at home once, got a flat tyre, took it to a tyre place and, with a bit of effort, they were able to get both wheels off.

Then again, it will, obviously, slow the thief down. I wouldn't recommend having two different sets as they are very easy to lose. Just hide them in ur car somewhere mate.

Despite all this, slowing em down is all that you want cause that could mean the time between you returning to the car, someone walking past, etc, etc.

wynode
01-09-2004, 07:57 PM
Despite all this, slowing em down is all that you want cause that could mean the time between you returning to the car, someone walking past, etc, etc.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Bingo.....its just like a car alarm.

As for thinking someone won't steal them.......thats the kind of attitude that can have them stolen! hehe

Thieves will steal just about anything so its better safe than sorry. The more you can detter them, the better.

toE
02-09-2004, 01:51 AM
i've got sensors on mine that electrocutes any focker who touches them....unless i turn it up a notch to kill them. :D

EuroAccord13
02-09-2004, 02:13 AM
Whatever lock nuts u buy.. don't go for the cheap ones... I've had it before, those made in Taiwan, DANG! They screwed my thread over and I had to replace them!

Pay more and get better ones....

Speeder
11-09-2004, 12:29 AM
i agree with euroaccord13, dont buy cheap lock nuts, the factroy locknuts are the best by far from my experience, they are bit pricey but good quality. and stated above, locknuts are not invinsible, they are actually pretty easy to take off if you know what your doing. but i found that factory locknuts are by far hardest to get out, not too sure on hondas but for euro cars it is. but personally, if they really want it, they will steal it, id rather have missing wheels then a damaged/missing car!! :(

4thGenExi
12-09-2004, 09:06 AM
Yeah I use them. Gave me a scare when I misplaced the friggen key for over a week. Someone was right on the money before, think it was Blade. Slow the f....kers down. Nothing like a kill switch, lock nuts to get them to prove their salt.

Type R Positive
13-09-2004, 11:09 PM
Use lock nuts man, I would hate to replace 4 rims and tyres. breaking into cars is alot more risky than just stealing wheels.

Always remember though, locks are only for honest people!

EuroAccord13
14-09-2004, 05:09 AM
A car parked outside my GF's house had his alloys stolen.. How fast did it happened? Well, from when I sent her home till I left, which was around 45mins, the wheels were already gone...

A group of 4 can easily remove the wheels from the car in less than 5mins, that includes dumping it on Bricks :P

i've got sensors on mine that electrocutes any focker who touches them....unless i turn it up a notch to kill them. :D

Right... I've seen a show before about how high the rate of stolen cars are in South Africa and this guy came up with a freaking flame thrower that fires out from underneath the car at anyone who tries to steal the car.... One Toasted Car Thief on the menu...

There is no 100% effective way of preventing a car from being stolen, security only acts as a deterrant. Another documentary I watched, showing a BMW (which has a 99point security rating) could be stolen in under a minute by pros... Then there is the GPS thingy which shuts the car down after it gets stolen, expensive but heck, the car still got stolen LOL.. If my car is stolen, I'd rather have it stripped and burnt rather than having the cops recover it in a mess... Besides... first year Free Replacement from the insurance :D :D

tanghy
14-09-2004, 10:15 PM
get some rays nuts
4 ray nuts = 1 oem nut
come in set of 16 normal + 4 locks
locks are 7 sided, cannot be bashed off with a smaller socket, believe me, i tried when I lost my key!