PDA

View Full Version : which exhaust and filter

cheebye
15-01-2004, 08:03 PM
hey guys

I will be getting full exhaust system (extractors onwards) + filter kit for my dc5r soon. wonder what recommendations/suggestions u guys have :?:

I got my eye on the mugen/spoon extractor bit but unsure of which cat-back system would fit up to those two and something with a cannon muffler, but won't make me deaf as soon as the vtec kicks in..

also, what filter ? I am always an apexi person when it comes to filters, but looking for something with like a carbon fibre box or something sexy like that 8)

thx!

A'PEXi
15-01-2004, 09:33 PM
mugen mugen mugen, if you can afford it :D top quality products

[[d a n n y]]
15-01-2004, 11:23 PM
mugen mugen mugen, if you can afford it :D top quality products
shut up :P

SPoon SPoon SPoon :D

the best shit yo...

top quality ... 8)

eknine
16-01-2004, 12:06 PM
matt for your dc5

extractor, toda, spoon, etc:)

cold air intake, you have injen(usa), AEM, Mugen, ...and one more the approx $2g ...whats the name..off my head, i forgot the company that makes the 2 bubbles looking thing

UR2L8
16-01-2004, 01:41 PM
Mugen or Spoon Carbon Air box with Apexi or Spoon filter, id recommend the Spoon N1 exhaust, and Toda headers; they make the most power gain out of all in the world. Here is a site you can use as an example http://www.ap-engineering.com/header.html it shows the HP/TQ from most companies.

cheebye
16-01-2004, 05:52 PM
thx everyone. UR2L8 - yeh, that sounds like the way. I saw the toda headers and must say the look the best but also cost a bomb! :!:

anyway, will go with the mugen/spoon carbon air box with apexi filter and will prob will get the Toda headers (budget permitting) plus will check out the Spoon N1 exhaust.

u have any links of pics of the N1 exhaust??

thx

UR2L8
16-01-2004, 06:13 PM
Sure do cheebye, try these out, they all good sites, http://www.aj-racing.com/spoon-sports/integra.html

http://www.aj-racing.com/spoon-sports/integra.html

About the TODA headers, I had a quote for $1900 for the 4-2-1 headers, damn thats a shitload, but you get what you pay for and thats quality and performace. The Spoon N1 you will see thats it dosent have the "looks" but its damn good, sounds sweet and much lighter than most exhausts.
Have fun dude.

vti-2
16-01-2004, 06:14 PM
cold air intake, you have injen(usa), AEM, Mugen, ...and one more the approx $2g ...whats the name..off my head, i forgot the company that makes the 2 bubbles looking thing

You talking about ARC intakes?

Here are some pics of the N1.

Apexi N1 Muffler
http://www.accessauto.com.au/product_images/N1_Muffler.jpg

Apexi N1 Titanium exhaust
http://www.accessauto.com.au/product_images/N1_Titanium.jpg

And..

Buddyclub Sports exhaust

http://www.accessauto.com.au/product_images/spec_3_exhaust_copy.jpg

The N1 is the nicest IMO. It is also very loud, but not as loud as the Buddyclub Spec 2 & 3 exhaust systems.

UR2L8
16-01-2004, 06:15 PM
Sorry about that double mistake of the site. THe other one is http://www.inlinefour.com/spoonracsil.html has some pics.

cheebye
16-01-2004, 06:37 PM
thanks again. yeh I am familiar with the range of apex mufflers. I would have got the HKS Hi-power for sure but they stopped producing it.. ARGG!

anyway, might settle for the Apex Titanium cat-back system as I am in luv with the style and note :P

noway am I gonna go for buddyclub exhaust.. they are too loud it's ridiculous.

anyway, back to the header bit. toda racing still looks the best imho, but due to the price of it, might settle for mugen/spoon ones as they still look the goods. so many choices? arggg

UR2L8
16-01-2004, 06:41 PM
Look theres nothing to be stressing out for, all these headers are awesome, they are probably the best in the world. So you cant go wrong with any one of them. Thats my opinion. Id still prefer the 4-2-1 system which gives you better midrange and high end power. But its up to you, those 3 are all good.

vti-2
16-01-2004, 06:45 PM
Why don't you just stay OEM for the headers? Spoon at the end of the day make aftermarket versions of OEM Honda products. For example, the headers for the DC2R are very similar. The difference is in the R&D though which is why you pay more for Spoon headers.

edit: by that i mean the Spoon headers are tested more thoroughly and use slightly higher grade materials.

cheebye
16-01-2004, 06:46 PM
yeh cool, thx! would u know if I got spoon.mugen 4-2-1 headers, would it fit straight onto the apex cat-back systems? I am assuming it would. also I presume I'd need to put a hi-flow cat somewhere in the system.. where abouts do they normally go? and what size cat?

sorry.. I'm just used to buying hi-flow 3inch cats for my previous turbo rides :P

cheebye
16-01-2004, 06:47 PM
Why don't you just stay OEM for the headers? Spoon at the end of the day make aftermarket versions of OEM Honda products. For example, the headers for the DC2R are very similar. The difference is in the R&D though which is why you pay more for Spoon headers.

edit: by that i mean the Spoon headers are tested more thoroughly and use slightly higher grade materials.

ic.. the main reason for going bigger, more high flowing headers would be mainly for better performance gain all round? so the OEM ones are quite good?

UR2L8
16-01-2004, 06:49 PM
The headers for the DC2R AUS spec is embarasing. They looks like shit, rusty and small as. The Spoon are more polished and they are just bigger, and the bigger the better. The DC2R Jap spec then yes the stock headers are very simmilar but thats only jap spec. What they do is they ship the DC2 engines from Japan and there is a Honda place near Tulla, and they assemble the Hondas according to the EPA and Ausstralian regulations. What they do is they basiqly detune the TYpeR's in the exhaust department to meet epa regulations.

LatinoHatchCrap
16-01-2004, 07:16 PM
Look theres nothing to be stressing out for, all these headers are awesome, they are probably the best in the world. So you cant go wrong with any one of them. Thats my opinion. Id still prefer the 4-2-1 system which gives you better midrange and high end power. But its up to you, those 3 are all good. It should be common knowledge now that the best headers are now made by US Honda tuners like AN-R, Header-Tech and SMSP. However, the TODA header still is one of the best around (B-series). Btw dood, stop making generalisations about 4-2-1 headers...it has been proven that with a 4-2-1 desing you achieve better low end and midrange but you sacrifice TOP END power. Whereas with a 4-1 design the opposite occurs (Low-midrange loss/top end gain).
I cant really give you an opinion about which of those headers is better 'cose I havent done much reaserach on their performance in respect of a K-series mota. I know that a guy in club RSX bought the TODA and he was very happy with it :)
APexi N1 would be my choose any day of the week and twice on sunday ;)

Xenon
16-01-2004, 08:11 PM
From memory spoon doesnt make a one piece 4-2-1 header for the dc5r, only a two piece (4-2 and a separate 2-1 ).. however they do have a 1 piece 4-1 header..

The mugen header for the dc5r has not been released yet, however its going to have a built in cat on the end... expect it to cost $$$ like the rest of the mugen range!

The toda header for dc5 has shown pretty good gains, not sure abt the spoons and also the reliabilty of spoon brand in general...

With any of these headers u will need to get a custom front swaybar for the dc5r (whiteline) because the aus dc5r bar gets in the way.. (different to jdm)

eknine
16-01-2004, 08:46 PM
vti-2....err, i still can't figure out what the name of the bubble looking intake:)

it like the j's racing carbon made...just can't reacll the name of the company..will keep posted when i get it to the head<laffz>

btw Matt..on n/a tuning..not always bigger is better, unlike turbo:)

cheebye
16-01-2004, 09:15 PM
actually.. since the dc5 engine is a 2litre block, it would be quite responsive low end and mid range? and since the vtec kicks in @ 6000rpm, would I be better off with 4-2-1 style headers or 4-1??

eknine
16-01-2004, 10:48 PM
For your DC5

4-2-1 bro:) ...why bother abt top end...you are not tracking everyday..

took me a while to find ... Matt, anyway i have send you the name of the CAI....if you have the budget go for it...coz you will not be the first to own it in australia, but you definitely be the only few:) its quite pricy(but i'm sure your kang tao in japan will sort you out)... its made from carbon, ultra light, dyno plot and pix is sent

else go for mugen CAI:)

as for header: spoon or toda, either:)

cheebye
16-01-2004, 11:37 PM
cheers, thx dude.

will check it out 2moro

had a long day at the 'office' :)

need sleep.

LatinoHatchCrap
21-01-2004, 04:36 PM
For your DC5

4-2-1 bro:) ...why bother abt top end...you are not tracking everyday..

Hondas are top end machines. The stock power figures are given under heavy load conditions so you cant expect to get away from the simple fact that if you want a fast car you must always be in the power band :nod: