PDA

View Full Version : Best Civic to buy with 10grand.

Jacko
15-01-2004, 11:53 PM
Ok, Im pretty new to the Civic seen. I was wondering, whats the best model Civic to buy for 10grand or under? Preferably manual and a coupe or possibly a sedan (no hatches). Thanks alot guys, this is much appreciated.

dcii_sir
15-01-2004, 11:54 PM
For under 10k, you should try to find yourself a 92 - 95 Civic Sedan either Si or VTi..

Jacko
15-01-2004, 11:55 PM
Which ones better? Is there much difference in the engines? Do they both come in Coupes?

[[d a n n y]]
16-01-2004, 12:02 AM
sorry mate coupes are only for yanks they didnt bring in the EG model coupes here..

andwayz the sedan ...a SI sedan si a nice car good DOHC non vtec 1.6 96KW

MITCH bought 1 the other day for 9'gs

clean and spotless

so yeha 10g's u basicly have the wjhole market..

what will it be?

Jacko
16-01-2004, 12:03 AM
Do you think I could get a 97 model? As they look alot better IMO, the earlier models still look alright though :P

Also, Ive seen a couple of coupes driving around. Must have been a different model? I only saw it from a distance.

[[d a n n y]]
16-01-2004, 12:11 AM
EK looks better than EG?

hm..dunno about that anywayz each to it's own...

u probly can get a shit Ek 1

they still r up in the teens to high teen and high 20's for the VTir coupe

Jacko
16-01-2004, 12:18 AM
Did you see the 1997 honda civic GLi in hot4's a lil while back? Titled Gold Member? Thats the model I'm after.. how much can I pick one up for?
Edit: April last year is the issue :P

dcii_sir
16-01-2004, 02:47 AM
As Danny said, 96 - 97 Civic Sedans will be in the teens.. I have seen them go as cheap as 11,500 but only once. Most will be around 12,500 - 14,000 mark.. If you budget is 10k, I suggest u look out for an EG instead. Buy a cheaper one and that way you have some money left for mods...

In regards to Si and VTi.. both have the same power output..

Si = 1.6 DOHC 96kw
VTi = 1.6 SOHC VTEC 96kw

If you plan to just keep the car for day to day driving, I would suggest the VTi.. u get a few extras like sunroof, airbag and I think ABS (someone confirm this with me thanx..) .. and I believe the interior is of a better trim.
If you're gonna do some mods to the car, than the Si would be a better choice as the DOHC motor responds better to mods.. and they go harder and can take a lot more punishment than the SOHC..

[[d a n n y]]
16-01-2004, 08:41 AM
seriuzly under 10g i dunt think so..EH no way

EG u got the whoolews market

VTEChnique
16-01-2004, 10:33 AM
far out civic's are way more expensive over here in Perth !!

you'd be doin well to get an EG GLi for $10,000 !@#$!

$10k for me would = EF civic hatch with JDC CRX SiR front-cut B16A1.

A'PEXi
16-01-2004, 12:01 PM
the ek's are the only models realesed as coupes.... i doubt you will be able to find one for 10k, 15k possibly....

10 your looking at a eg sedan - if your not considering any hatches....

Jacko
16-01-2004, 12:29 PM
hmm i cant decide. i want the ek model but dont have the cash, and if i did have 15grand id save a lil more and buy an astra..

i only make 150 - 200 bucks a week so you can easily tell how long ive been saving guys. im 16 and havent and am NOT gettin any financial support from the olds which cool with me. unlike alot of others who get a brand new car then trash it cause they dont give a shit about it cuz daddy will buy them another..

[[d a n n y]]
16-01-2004, 12:38 PM
hm...mate...infact he all work and buy outr own car...

i think ur a bit overreacting there mate..take a chill pill

anywayz yeah i was like that first when i first got my car with my own money..

anywayz mate...

sedan or hatch it aint matter u cant get a EK with 10gs

Weq
16-01-2004, 04:50 PM
The VTi doesnt have ABS, and my model (Jan 94') didnt come with an airbag also.

skoota
16-01-2004, 05:45 PM
I would wait until you got ur license to worry about this shit. And there is no way ul be able to get an EK with your price range. Dont' forget if you blow all ur money then u gotta worry bout insurance, and all other fees that come with getting a car on the road. And what if something happens like an accident or u need to replace parts or whatever? I agree with Danny, get the EG - man that is an awesome first car - i got a '88 Ford Laseer, what a piece of crap! Go the EG Si hatch dude, as for $9,000 you could get a really good one and then you got like $1000 to get it on road ans insured, actually ul prob need more $$$ for the insurance, I pay $1200 for my '99 EK and it's a GLi and im 21. Soooo yeh my point is save up more $$$, buy the car when u get ur license and go for the EG!!

And yeh that sucks that only the yanks got the EG Coupes, they look f*cking hot! :P

mickey_matrix
16-01-2004, 08:47 PM
I agree with dcii_sir, you should get a 92 - 95 Civic Sedan Si or VTi ... a VTi only for the sunroof. (I wish I had one!) If you're looking at a $10 000 price range and plus you're looking at a manual car so it's going to be a lot cheaper. Even go for the basic GLi if you want. I've seen a few for under $10 000. Even if you just check out carpoint.com.au

I remember doing the research on my car February 2003, I ended up getting a Honda Civic GLi 1996 Hatchback for $13 500 from a dealer, in March 2003. It was marked $17 500, my Dad bargained it down and they serviced it and added another 6 months registration for me. It was great because my Dad wouldn't let me buy using a private sale or a manual car. I had found so many great Civic's beforehand but they were all manual. I don't know what my Dad has against me driving a manual car :S

Anyways when you're getting you're car, always check how many km's it's done and look for any sign if the car has been in any previous accidents, I found a few 'dodgy' cars out there. The only thing that put me back on buying a 92-95 Civic was how many km's they had clocked up, I got the '96 one with only 116 000 clocked up. I think you might find that if you save up a little more it will be worth it. Because if you have problems with your car it's going to expensive and plus because it's a Honda it'll be even more expensive. I also agree with skoota, getting your licence is expensive, you've got registration which is about $700/year then you'll have insurance, and you'll probably want third party comprehensive insurance and that costs me about $2000/year ... then you have to think about petrol costs, servicing and maybe an NRMA membership as well plus you might want to add a few mod's to your car ...

Even think about getting maybe a Civic Hatchback, they're not that bad :) Hehe. I know 5 people on my street own Civic Hatchbacks and only 1 has a sedan :) Hehe.

I hope you're search goes well. Good luck.

skoota
16-01-2004, 09:04 PM
When you get a car like this you want full comp not 3rd party. But keep in mind that if you get a hatch it will be considered as a sports car so = increase in insurance premiums, but the hatch is so much sexier!

mickey_matrix
16-01-2004, 09:07 PM
Sorry guys, long day at work ...

Yeah, I meant to say the compulsory third party insurance plus you're comprehensive cover. That's why mine is $2000/year because I'm 20. It would be about $2200 but if you pay upfront you save just a tiny little bit.

Jacko
16-01-2004, 09:48 PM
just for the record i have my license, i got it about 3 months ago. in the northern territory you can get your license when your 16..

and ill only be gettin 3rd party/theft. i have a friend who has 3rd party/fire/theft and he only pays about 500 a year for a civic sedan

im contemplating buying my friends torana for 3000 then i have 7000 left, and its only a 253 (not 308) so i can get it insured, still an expensive car to get insured though.

mo
16-01-2004, 10:41 PM
<offtopic> ahh NT, are you really allowed to speed around and shit? lol sorry </offtopic>

well seriously, if you want a sedan go Si and if you want hatch, go Si
EG of course...and the EG can look just as good as the EK, just get better headlights...as i am guessing when you get one, the headlights will look all old and battered.

Jacko
16-01-2004, 10:49 PM
yeah if you go out of town (about 50 - 100k out of darwin) there are no speed limits, but be warned. the roads arent that wide and as well kept as the ones in nsw.. so i wouldnt go more than say.. 250kph? :P

hey mo, are you the same mo as on Layitlow.com??