PDA

View Full Version : DIY quad throttle body

Blk-Em1
05-05-2005, 11:24 PM
Have you guys been to the site www.homemadeturbo.com (http://www.homemadeturbo.com/) ? go to the tech projects and click on HM-ITB, read the article on DIY quad throttle body, do you think this would be a hard project?

panda[cRx]
06-05-2005, 12:05 AM
http://www.homemadeturbo.com/tech_projects/itb/

interesting. but u would really wanna know what ur doing to even attempt it

turtleEK1
14-05-2005, 07:16 AM
sounds hell of alot like an article that was in honda tuning mag, feb 05 issue...

Kawasaki
14-05-2005, 07:38 AM
very nice. I was planning to do something similar but for carbie

RUDEF2
14-05-2005, 08:19 AM
yeah it sounds like a good project to do but you would have to know what you are doing, post pics if you attempt it....

Clarkey

MR-VTEC
14-05-2005, 08:59 AM
if you have the tools and the skills it shouldnt prove to be too difficult, however if you do plan to do it, take heaps of pictures and make a list of the things you used and do a write up. let us know how you go. good luck.

bennjamin
14-05-2005, 12:12 PM
biggest problems apparently with such a setup on normally single throttle bodied EFI setups is teh MAP sensor and throttle position etc etc....its all in the tuning !

CRXY01
14-05-2005, 01:10 PM
sounds interesting, but u would need a decent workshop & the skills plus knowledge to pull it off.

SIKCVC
14-05-2005, 04:24 PM
just looks plain easy to do.

If you had a friend who was handy with a welder you could get the intake done by somone who knows what they're doing... other than getting the intake cut to size it all looks VERY easy... I'd liek to know how well it went and how much power they gained though.

saxman
16-05-2005, 04:15 PM
doing the physical labor isn't that hard(I have a set of 954rr itbs waiting to go on my car, as soon as I get around to make an intake plenum for them to accept boost)... there is some math that goes into it. A lot of people don't design for a specific runner length and end up losing power. But that's easy to deal with. The hardest thing to do is the tuning. Due to the vacuum characteristics of itbs, using the stock map sensor to tune off of really isn't possible. The best option is to tune off of a map/tps hybrid map which uses map sensors for high vacuum and tps for high throttle/load times. You can tune off of just tps as well. Chrome(an obd1 tuning software) has a hybrid map option, as does the AEM EMS. To use something like hondata, you have to wire the signal from the tps sensor into the map, and tune off of entirely tps.

For my set up, I'll be using just map readings, but due to the turbo, and having positive pressure, it's not the same problems as tuning them on an N/A car

SiReal
23-05-2005, 01:44 PM
Just wondering about the Quad throttles, is it illegal in victoria to have them open/exposed without an air filter (even though its stupid to) on any NA car? I want to get that raw sound.

blackdc2
24-05-2005, 09:08 AM
Just wondering about the Quad throttles, is it illegal in victoria to have them open/exposed without an air filter (even though its stupid to) on any NA car? I want to get that raw sound.

:D you will get more than a raw sound, the cops and epa will hear you start your car up and putter it around from the other side of melbourne.

bennjamin
24-05-2005, 09:09 PM
:D you will get more than a raw sound, the cops and epa will hear you start your car up and putter it around from the other side of melbourne.

rofl true true....to anyone whom has experienced a NA 4 throttle car ( anythign really not jsut a honda) in real life- the noise is aural love for myself.

The noise is similar to an open exhaust on a carbied v8.......and attrachts the police and EPA etc all the same :D

JESPER
27-05-2005, 10:26 AM
Check out the www.honda-tech.com forums...heaps of guys on there are doing them...ppl have flanges made up you can buy, then jus strap on your itbs from gsxr`s and stuff...lots of good info...

Ronin 09
06-06-2005, 02:29 PM
So no one on here has tried this yet?

EG5
06-06-2005, 04:38 PM
So no one on here has tried this yet?

yes but not DIY.
TWM set up :
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v677/YonasLiu/egk20a/twm.jpg

Ronin 09
06-06-2005, 08:32 PM
yes but not DIY.
TWM set up :
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v677/YonasLiu/egk20a/twm.jpg
That's nice - looking for one for DC2... who is TWM? Any contact details?
Cheers :)

Ronin 09
06-06-2005, 08:36 PM
Check out the www.honda-tech.com forums...heaps of guys on there are doing them...ppl have flanges made up you can buy, then jus strap on your itbs from gsxr`s and stuff...lots of good info...
Had a quick look - can't find any info on here (can't find the 'search' function, maybe I'm just an idiot!) do you have a thread link to the flanges?
Cheers

**Ghost**
06-06-2005, 11:07 PM
how does ae111 manage the soudn when it has quad throttle bodies as well?

blackdc2
08-06-2005, 10:59 AM
how does ae111 manage the soudn when it has quad throttle bodies as well?

plenum

Ronin
08-06-2005, 01:19 PM
Who the Hell is Ronin 09.. and what is he doing copying my nick!!! What's even worse - he's in Melbourne too!

Ronin
08-06-2005, 01:20 PM
:cool: he's even got the same car as I!!!

Anyway...:wave:

EG5
08-06-2005, 01:30 PM
Had a quick look - can't find any info on here (can't find the 'search' function, maybe I'm just an idiot!) do you have a thread link to the flanges?
Cheers

www.twminduction.com (http://www.twminduction.com)

BiGANG
08-06-2005, 03:12 PM
is quad throttles worth putting on a pretty much standard car? Would it make a big power difference, as if the car gets too much fuel mite not be making more power, just wasting more fuel..

saxman
08-06-2005, 05:10 PM
is quad throttles worth putting on a pretty much standard car? Would it make a big power difference, as if the car gets too much fuel mite not be making more power, just wasting more fuel..
well, if you're going to run itb's, you're going to have to tune the ecu, so too much fuel, etc shouldn't be an issue...

it won't make huge peak power gains, although throttle response is a lot better, and you end up beefing up your power curves

BiGANG
08-06-2005, 05:15 PM
thanks saxman, do u think its worth the money however. Seeing as it isnt a cheap mod. Although it doesnt make big power gains, do the positive side effects such as the better throttle response and 'beefing up your power curves' make a noticable difference for a car that is taken to the track?

TODA AU
12-06-2005, 07:04 AM
Approx 35hp more @ 5500rpm (B18C) - No other changes
Asuming good tuning & quads that work well.
Drive out of corners is much better.