PDA

View Full Version : H22 Turbo questions

nickiipoohz
06-05-2005, 08:01 AM
hey just wondering what i would need to turbo my JDM h22. I want to leave stock internals therefore only want to boost about 7psi. im planning to run a T3 therefore i would need:
T3 Turbo
T3 manifold with ext. w/gate
Intercooler
Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
450cc injectors
EMS (Hondata or Microtech or sumfing)
cooler piping
dump pipe
air filter
would i need any thing else from this?

smoknhothonda
06-05-2005, 06:51 PM
A fuel pressure regulator IMO would be money well spent, plus even maybe a aftermarket fuel rail.

You are also going to need an aftermarket exhaust 2.5" minimum to help make the most of the mods.

An aftermarket clutch will be required to handle the additional power, plus a brake upgrade would be nice,with at least a good set of pads. and just lil things like spark plugs (1 step colder) fresh leads , decent synthetic engine oil etc etc

But correct me if I am wrong everyone you have the majority of things covered for a low boost street car...

Oh yeah you will need sum decent tyres once you get the thing tuned to handle boost too :D

nickiipoohz
06-05-2005, 09:12 PM
just a question about the EMS.... are there any cheaper ones that will do the job? im just hoping to boost about 7-10 psi MAX. jsut want a little extra boost so dont want to spend too much. Is the fuel pressure regulator IMO really needed? and can i just use DSM 450cc injectors (cos they fit in the h22)? of course my brakes are gonna be upgraded + exhaust and change of oil and stuff.

MR-VTEC
06-05-2005, 09:12 PM
one thing you missed is a good budget. what kind of money have you got to spend?

MR-VTEC
06-05-2005, 09:14 PM
jsut want a little extra boost so dont want to spend too much.

mmm i wouldnt go down the turbo route then if i were you:rolleyes:

nickiipoohz
07-05-2005, 12:58 AM
well i dont have a fixed budget... i just want to know what i can run it with and without first. then i'll slowly buy it and run it at low boost until i have more money to install the good shit...... read that in the US people turboed their Hondas using FMU 12:1 and not using an EMS. just wondering if thats possible?

smoknhothonda
07-05-2005, 07:49 AM
Using the FMU is indeed possible, but it will be quite possible that this will cause you problems in the long run. The FMU is a rather crude approach for a fuel control device.....

Alternatively you could look at using a Unichip, Greddy Emanage as a bare minimium for a reliable EMS.

Yes I feel as though a fuel pressur eregulator is needed, it will cost you probably $200, a small price to pay to make sure your fuel pressure is up to scratch (something that is critical in a turbo application). B&M have cheaper kits that adapt to your existing FPR but I would prefer a standalone aftermarket FPR like the AEM, SX performance FPR.

nickiipoohz
07-05-2005, 09:57 AM
can u guys explain to be what the diff. is b/w internal and exter wastegates? i mean not the obvious but like the pros and cons? oh and with the greddy e-manage piggy back would i need to get a 3 Bar map sensor? and or check valves?

CHU85
07-05-2005, 10:21 AM
u've got pm.

Weq
07-05-2005, 11:01 AM
no u dont need a FPR or a fuel pump for a stock engine. they are just blind and a waste of time. get an internally gated turbo to save u money.

nickiipoohz
08-05-2005, 01:48 AM
how do u know when a turbo is internally gated??

smoknhothonda
08-05-2005, 10:10 AM
no u dont need a FPR or a fuel pump for a stock engine. they are just blind and a waste of time. get an internally gated turbo to save u money.

Hey Weq, how can you say a FPR and a fuel pump is a waste of time?!?

It will cost you $500 (DIY) and its cheap insurance!

In my case my car is 10 years old, and well the fuel pump will be working quite hard to cope with the extra fuel delivery required when boosting, and a FPR will help get the higher fuel pressures required or a turbo setup spot on.

I know I would rather have spent $500 (DIY) in the prevention of detonation!!!

Nicki you can tell when a turbo is internally gated you will see a wastgate hanging off the side of the turbo.

When you compare a turbo with Ext W/G to an Int W/G its quite easy to differentiate the two (A pic would be helpful if I knew how to post one up!)

All the drag/turbonetics turbo kits from the USA (T3/T4) have external wastegates. The internal wastegate is about 2 inches in Dia generally in a galvanised gold colour :)

Just check out a few turbo websites and you will notice the difference :thumbsup:

poid
08-05-2005, 04:50 PM
Hey Weq, how can you say a FPR and a fuel pump is a waste of time?!?

It will cost you $500 (DIY) and its cheap insurance!

In my case my car is 10 years old, and well the fuel pump will be working quite hard to cope with the extra fuel delivery required when boosting, and a FPR will help get the higher fuel pressures required or a turbo setup spot on.

Weq's right, the FPR and fuel pump are completely unnecessary for a low boost setup.

You dont want higher fuel pressure generally, you want to keep it close to stock. The fuel pump actually doesnt have to work any harder than normal with a low boost turbo if you keep the pressure the same
(the pump basically pumps the same volume of fuel as usual, just less is returned to the tank), its when you up the fuel pressure that the pump will crap itself. You just have to make sure the pump is pumping enough volume, and the stock pump does that job nicely.

Lokmok1234
13-05-2005, 08:54 PM
How bout some head work and forged pistons??? that would definately help in the long run too. about the turbo, if you are only going to run 10psi then just get an internal wastegate turbo. Anyway, if you were planning to turbo charge your h22a then you can't really do it step by step now can you it's just best you put the whole lot in, save you extra labour cost and time. so before you do that all thats necessary is a cold air induction kit, and a vtec boost controller. (we are talking about the h22a right?)

MR-VTEC
14-05-2005, 08:48 AM
so before you do that all thats necessary is a vtec boost controller. (we are talking about the h22a right?)

:D

saxman
16-05-2005, 01:15 PM
no need to upgrade the fuel rail... oem honda ones will support 500+hp... don't bother with a fpr. fuel pump isn't a bad addition, but for 7 psi really not needed. I wouldn't run an fmu if you can avoid it. If you're obd1, look into using uberdata instead of hondata... it's a free software and equally as capable.

I'd look into something larger than a t3, perhaps a t3/t04. With the higher cfm's from the h22, you'll make quite a bit more power with a t3/t04 and can still keep decent spool times.

You'll need oil lines to go with your set up.

if you're going to cut corners, the fuel management is NOT the place to do it.

GSI-PSI
31-05-2005, 07:57 PM
why do u need an external wastegate? r u planning on running 25psi lol

saxman
31-05-2005, 08:13 PM
there are plenty of reasons to run external gates for lower boost set ups...

nickiipoohz
04-06-2005, 07:51 PM
nah ive given up on customising a setup lolz. too much hassles. thanks for the help boys. im probably gonna get someone to do it for me. saves me the trouble of blowing up my h22.