PDA

View Full Version : Just found Koni's...on my car

shep9ky
06-05-2005, 08:54 AM
I thought the title might spark some interest
As some of you might already know i've just bought a second hand ek civic vti-r
It was previously owned by a girl who didn't even know what vtec was really
She also had told me that the previous owner had had the springs compressed and that it was on stock shocks

I had a quick look before i got the car and i just assumed i would have to fork out for some springs and new shocks. which was ok

anyways i got under there with a torch last night, wiped some dirt off the shocks and they end up being Koni undjustable and they are red in colour.

the springs are blue.

problem with the car is it keep hitting the gaurds underneath and rattles for some reason

what could this be caused by?

and will i need to get new springs to raise it or just pay a shop to adjust the height?

wish i found Koni yellows :o

sorry for the long post

garett
06-05-2005, 09:01 AM
i forgive you... hah

similar thing happened to me, its kinda like when you check your bank and you thought you had a certain amount but there is actually heaps more in there!

i bought a shit box old alfa romeo last year and its an early 70's model, will be cool when finished, i later found it had yellow koni adjustables. was stoked!

garett
06-05-2005, 09:03 AM
forgot to say,
koni reds are still an awesome shock! it sound like the springs are just too low, or possibly your tires are slightly too fat on the rim which is causeing the scrub, you may find too when you have raised the car the rattle will go away.

if its standard wheels and standard size tyres on the car and its getting scrub, it must be damn low

shep9ky
06-05-2005, 09:35 AM
nah the wheels are pretty fat
the car came with those sparco rally wheels
ok cool so i just have to get new springs?

so the spring sets the height of the car not the shocks?

Eclipsor
06-05-2005, 10:32 AM
Depends on the shock. some are height adjustable like koni yellows. Don't think reds are though? So yeah only way would be using springs.

shep9ky
06-05-2005, 10:52 AM
ok mate cheers
does anyone know for sure if aftermarket springs for an eg would fit my ek civic?

Terry
06-05-2005, 11:35 AM
EG, DC and EK spring are the same......shocks is diff though......correct me if i m wrong:D

joneblaze
06-05-2005, 11:55 AM
EG/DC interchangeable, EK is sketchy.

Koni Reds aren't adjustable AFAIK.... ?

shep9ky
06-05-2005, 12:10 PM
yeh on the shocks it says adjustable
i dont know too much about suspension but im sure it says adjustable on there

i'm not saying they are i can only tell you whats written on shocks

bennjamin
06-05-2005, 02:50 PM
yeh on the shocks it says adjustable
i dont know too much about suspension but im sure it says adjustable on there

i'm not saying they are i can only tell you whats written on shocks

koni reds are damper adjustable only. Alot better than stock tho :)

na
06-05-2005, 04:13 PM
KONI REDS ALSO HEIGHT ADJUSTABLE IF IT'S FOR EK.

I have them at home.

The diff with yellow, it has 2 pre-set height notch, while on the yellow is 3 notch. The red is also damper adjustable but it's not externally adjustable...you have to take out the springs to adjust it...while on yellow you can adjust it with a knob.

shep9ky
06-05-2005, 04:17 PM
wow cool
well thats alright then mines an ek

thanks alot for the info na

wynode
06-05-2005, 07:00 PM
Koni reds have to be pulled out to be adjusted AFAIK