PDA

View Full Version : Brake up grade for EK1

Cvik_ryda
06-05-2005, 12:10 PM
Im about to upgrade my front calipers and rotor to Integra goodies. Does any one know Is there any different for front brake between the GSi, Vtir and typeR integra front brakes???? and would them fit on my EK?? any help will be good thank you

Phii
06-05-2005, 12:32 PM
i am also in the process of searching for some bigger front brakes for my ek,
let me know how it goes Cvik ryda,
Phi

egSi
06-05-2005, 01:56 PM
id suggest an ek4 setup guys.....

Scoota
06-05-2005, 02:22 PM
PM *Eyecandy* she knows her tegs :p

But she has aftermarket on the Teg though

Perry
06-05-2005, 10:14 PM
integra brakes will fit on the ek, aslong u got the whole hub, then it can be done, i thnk the integra Type R are slight bigger then the vtir's,

CONAN
07-05-2005, 09:12 AM
go for the CTR brake upgrade

Perry
07-05-2005, 09:17 AM

ctr and itr brakes set is almost the same

tRipitaka
07-05-2005, 12:04 PM

and ITR would be easier to find..

[[d a n n y]]
07-05-2005, 12:27 PM
GSi/Ek VITR/DC2 VTIR all share the same brakes.
same part number too even the EG6 SIR has the same part number
all of those above a 4 stud. it'll be a good upgrade for any gli or CXi

but if u have a big brakes already then id suggest u got for the ITR/CTR brake upgrade they are 5 studded bigger rotors and claipers.
they would cost a arm and a let though.
also for this upgrade u need to upgrade your mastercylinder. to bigger spec. such as ITR/CTR stuff or atleast EK4.DC2 vitr cylinders. fail to do this it might cause the brakes to lock up.
also a good upgrade for a Gli/CXi would be the prelude brakes (4stud not the later model 5studs)

hope that helps :D

faijai
07-05-2005, 01:10 PM
even crv calipers is a great upgrade to your car.

CTR Coupe
07-05-2005, 01:40 PM
from memory you need new axels if you get ITR setup. this might be only Jap spec but i think the axel bolt for ITR's is bigger thats why you need to use the CTR setup

Cvik_ryda
07-05-2005, 04:49 PM
I was thinking of getting a ITR/CTR calipers then go to DBA buy a set of slotted rotor same size as for the intergra and bolt it on my EK. Would this be ok??? Im worrie about the brake bracket differences

[[d a n n y]]
07-05-2005, 09:55 PM
I was thinking of getting a ITR/CTR calipers then go to DBA buy a set of slotted rotor same size as for the intergra and bolt it on my EK. Would this be ok??? Im worrie about the brake bracket differences
u got EK4 or EK1?
VITR or Gli?

Cvik_ryda
09-05-2005, 11:41 AM
EK 1 Gli man but next year im gonna drop a H22 in it so i started do my brakes and suspensions now.

Surrufus
09-05-2005, 05:00 PM
ive got a EK1 CXi and im looking at dropping a B18 in it

easiest break upgrade ive heard about would be to swap to EK4 VTi R calipers and discs both front and rear with EK4 master and booster cylinders and dont forget the EK4 4040 proportioning valve because the rears on the EK1 are drums and disc and calipers on EK4

thats wat i would and most likely will do with the addition of braided brake lines and aftermarket front calipers later if i need more stopping power

reason for this being easiest is both EK1 and EK4 share same stud pattern (4x100) so no need to even swap hub

if im incorrect please correct me lol dont want my conversion going bad and dont want to be misinforming anyone

CONAN
09-05-2005, 05:41 PM
Yeah, well I saw a CTR brakes/rotors/calipers, the lot for sale

so i suggested it.

:)

[[d a n n y]]
10-05-2005, 12:49 AM
EK 1 Gli man but next year im gonna drop a H22 in it so i started do my brakes and suspensions now.
well if you got money to spend then get the DC2R brakes
or if your on abit of a tight ass buidget get the VTIR set up with decent pads and rotors

Cvik_ryda
11-05-2005, 03:59 PM
Theres a thing though. My car is Gli EK1 built in March 96. but it got rear disc brake which is like a bonus. dont know why??? so lucky i dont have to do a rear brakes conversion. i probally gonna get a Vtir intergra calipers and buy new rotors. thanx for all the help guy.

[[d a n n y]]
11-05-2005, 05:52 PM
Theres a thing though. My car is Gli EK1 built in March 96. but it got rear disc brake which is like a bonus. dont know why??? so lucky i dont have to do a rear brakes conversion. i probally gonna get a Vtir intergra calipers and buy new rotors. thanx for all the help guy.

Scoota
11-05-2005, 07:51 PM
What brake pads are you planning on using?

Cvik_ryda
12-05-2005, 12:09 PM
dont known yet probally Bendix. i hasnt got the engine yet so anything standard will do at the moment.

TypeRice
21-11-2007, 02:01 PM
do you guys think mechanics are able to get break upgrades for u ? and do it for u?

90LAN
21-11-2007, 02:07 PM
do you guys think mechanics are able to get break upgrades for u ? and do it for u?

its not if they can do it for u its finding the parts to do it.....

TypeRice
21-11-2007, 02:09 PM
ohh okay.. shouldnt mechanics have access and connections to many car parts?
i mean if mechanic finds faults in your car.. they order a replacement part for u ..
hmm

90LAN
21-11-2007, 02:13 PM
why would u wanna mechanic to source the parts from u ?????
they will add their commission on top for the parts and charge u a nice fee to install the brakes because it is " a big brake upgrade"
any way find it your self and ring around for quotes to see what prices are to fit the brakes.

nd55
21-11-2007, 08:50 PM
Some good info:

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1513752
http://www16.brinkster.com/mikedrive57/brakes.htm

> EK 1 Gli man but next year im gonna drop a H22 in it so i started do my brakes and suspensions now.

If you gonna consider a eng. certificate then bigger brakes are a must.
Big brakes must be similar in capacity to vehicle H22 originally came from.

1) Aftermarket kit. $$$$

2) re-drilled 282mm Honda rotors, 17C15VN (ITR, others too) calipers and 1in master cylinder

3) source a complete 5-lug suspension, then brake parts are bolt-ons and probably included in
suspension.

And my contribution to rumours and misinformation.
4) Apparently HRV hubs are 5 stud, but press into a civic hub. Cheap way to get 5-stud and
bolt on brakes.

> then go to DBA buy a set of slotted rotor same size as for the intergra and bolt it on my EK.
DBA dont do 4x100 282mm rotors, nor 282mm blanks.

There's lots of OEM options, you just gotta decide how much $$$ you want to sink.

My beef with the ITR upgrade is all the unsprung weight. Not conducive to the "Liverpool Rd Goat Track" rally to and from work.

ITR calipers are MASSIVE and I can't imagine needing that much extra braking when the much smaller civic ones suffice. (track excluded).

Nick.

tune2look
30-11-2007, 01:10 AM
wk gli is already has identical to ek4,eg6,dc2s....

just get bigger rotor and crv caliper and bracket.

much cheaper i guess..

Mugen_B16B
30-11-2007, 10:11 PM
also preludes are 4x114 they have 10.3' rotors, only good upgrades for itr96 spec and accord

NMD
10-12-2007, 07:07 PM
so this thread is just under a month old...BUT

i am in the middle of swapping my EK1 CXI brakes for EK4 items...

THIS IS NOT A BOLT ON SWAP!

you will need more than just calipers and discs and pads to do the swap. i am stuck as i thought this was the case. im thinking that you may need to use the suspension arm that goes on the outside of the strut? what ever it is called. its the arm that the caliper mounts to.

the reasons they dont fit is...

1) the offset of the disc is wrong. the disc itself sits too close to the mounting points for the caliper, you need to space the disc out by roughly 3mm.

2) the mounting points for the caliper on the mentioned arm are too short...they need to be approx. 5mm longer to fit the EK4 caliper to the bigger EK4 discs

anyone else that has done this swap please feel free to give out your valuable information!

the actual size difference in the discs and calipers is quite noticable and i cant wait to fit them up!! im using Motul RBF600 fluid and project Mu type NS pads as well if you wanted to know.

however, if your going for the H22, you may want to get a front cut and swap EVERYTHING over...that would make it easy!

brendan

beeza
10-12-2007, 09:09 PM
It's 2 1/2 yrs old but hey it's all good info :)

nd55
11-12-2007, 10:48 AM
> i am in the middle of swapping my EK1 CXI brakes for EK4 items...

CXi is 242mm front rotors.

GLi is 262mm
Ek4 is 262mm too.

Fastbrakes probably have the best solution for CXi's.

A small bracket and mounting hardware which mount the CXi caliper further out to allow fitment of 11inch discs.

Shipping the Fastbrakes supplied rotors will be uber expensive, however.

Brian Hasty from Fastbrakes is known to be very helpful.

> anyone else that has done this swap please feel free to give out your valuable information!

It sounds like you've already got the parts, so it might be too late.

ALso, there's a write up somewhere of someone using using ITR calipers on CXi 242mm brakes to upgrade to larger 262mm rotors without changing the
suspension.

There's lots of pad grinding involved.

The Fastbrakes bracket is a better solution IMHO.

Nick.

Cvik_ryda
11-12-2007, 09:25 PM
It's 2 1/2 yrs old but hey it's all good info :)
lol youre right man i didnt even remember i posted this sometime ago. Finally my car is in the shop getting it new engine and i decided to go with a type R 5 stud set up. As it compatible with the engine and esier to get wheels.
Thanks 4 all the replies.

beeza
11-12-2007, 09:26 PM
Haha.I didn't realise it was you who started the thread.Geez time just gets away from ya sometimes eh :)