PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas for engine mods for 5th gen lude????

IndoStyler
06-05-2005, 09:54 PM
hey guys, i was just wondering wat ideas u might have for my 5th gen 97 SI lude....its an auto though, but i just wanted alil bit more power then stock... i was thinkin of maybe air filter, extractors, cat back n exaust with silencer.....any ideas??

i'm not thinkin abt budget just yet....just wanted to know wat i could do to my lude

IndoStyler
06-05-2005, 10:40 PM
i was also thinkin of maybe getting a vtec head installed instead....like an si vti conversion or something....how much would that cost???

panda[cRx]
07-05-2005, 12:43 AM
CAI, I/H/E, cams, cam gears, HD clutch and light flywheel, ECU to program it all.

dont forget about important things like suspension and brakes too :)

a budget would really help man, otherwise you will get everyone suggesting boost or H22A swaps

IndoStyler
07-05-2005, 12:04 PM
ummm, ok...wat could i get done with 2g???

and how much would it cost if i get a vtec head installed???

tRipitaka
07-05-2005, 12:55 PM
the 5th gen prelude SI is a f22z right ?
afaik you probably won't be able to bolt a h series head onto it..
and if you could, it'd cost far more than 2 grand to do so..
cos then you'll need the h22a ECU aswell..
i'd suggest going the usual mods, that panda has already stated.. but you won't get all of them, since 2g is a pretty tight budget

IndoStyler
07-05-2005, 09:51 PM
the 5th gen prelude SI is a f22z right ?
afaik you probably won't be able to bolt a h series head onto it..
and if you could, it'd cost far more than 2 grand to do so..
cos then you'll need the h22a ECU aswell..
i'd suggest going the usual mods, that panda has already stated.. but you won't get all of them, since 2g is a pretty tight budget

f22z?? nah, i always thought it was a h23 engine

IndoStyler
07-05-2005, 10:51 PM
ok guys, let me re-state my original question.....

i have abt 2gz to spend on my car....and i've got a 97 5th gen prelude SI which is a tiptronic auto.....i was thinking of pod filter, extractors and cat back..... have any of u guys got any suggestions to this??

i'm pretty sure its a h23 engine

viperx
08-05-2005, 02:58 PM
spend a little over half on flywheel/clutch,

use around 400-500 for custom 2.25" cat back with a hotdog or two and a straight thru muffler (get a twin loop if you want quiet, cannon if you want loud). Dont bother with mandrel bending its pretty much a waste of time on your car, and use mild steel for piping. And dont get a cannon and put a silencer on, terrible for flow. if you want quiet get a twin loop. Extractors are probably not really worth the money on your car esp you only got 2gs

don't bother with a CAI/conical, you don't have vtec/or high redline from memory, remove the resonator from the intake tract and drop in a high flow panel from K&N or HKS (~$80-120), try and feed the intake from the inner guard in some way or another. I had a look at your model of prelude and i can't remember seeing a pipe leading back into the airbox, so I presume the intake may already be coming from the inner guard.

neva worth the money doing a head conversion- if ppl are looking to do things at this level most people go the whole engine swap.

That should total you around 2 gs

THRUST
08-05-2005, 05:50 PM
97 Si's are f22
pre 97 Si's were h23
Either do a h22 swap or go turbo

[stealth]
08-05-2005, 06:12 PM
should've bought a vtir to begin with... :)

IndoStyler
08-05-2005, 07:06 PM
well at the time of buying, it was either brand new toyota celica.....or buy this SI prelude which was in really tip top condition....... i would have imported a h22a type s if i knew it was gonna come to this