PDA

View Full Version : Clutch, flywheel and camshaft

Tony
07-05-2005, 11:03 AM
I'm looking for some heavy duty clutch, lightened flywheel and higher degree camshaft from my Jazz, can anyone help?

My last set of clutch died after 30,000km and my 2nd set of clutch has done 15,000km already, time for me to look for a aftermarket solution before my clutch dies. :p

CONAN
07-05-2005, 11:14 AM
why is your clutch letting go so quickly?
You must drive your car very hard with heaps of launches and quick shifts?

My car travelled 130,000kms before a clutch change was due.

Tony
07-05-2005, 11:22 AM
I've done about 8 to 9 track day events with my last set of clutch

Some photos of my clutch at 30,000km:

http://www.snc.com.au/jazz/clutch1.jpg
http://www.snc.com.au/jazz/clutch2.jpg
http://www.snc.com.au/jazz/clutch3.jpg
http://www.snc.com.au/jazz/clutch4.jpg

ah8118
07-05-2005, 11:39 AM
ah ha... there's your answer... track days..... eats clutches like a huge ass buffet!!!!

Zimp13
07-05-2005, 01:08 PM
Try Daekin.... they make good reasonable priced clutch... lighten flywheel??? not sure, certainly can custom lighten the oem one.... i ve done that before on another car that i used to take to the track... no problem at all.... camshalf.... dunno wats available now... may be spoonfit can help.... heheh

Jus-10
07-05-2005, 01:29 PM
As for clutches, try sending a PM to TODA AU as he can supply Exedy clutches. Whether or not they offer a heavy duty option for the Jazz I am not yet sure. We started to look through the catalogue the other day but were interupted and never got back to it. I can find out for you if you like....

After 4 runs on the 1/4 mile my clutch is notiecably suffering (albeit not too much)....

Flywheels - not aware of anyone making one off the shelf, though I have spoken to some people who have told me it will cost about $600 for a custom job (same price for a custom heavy duty clutch)

I too have also been looking around at cams over the past couple of months to see what was out there....as far as I know, nothing is available so it will be a custom job for that too!

It seems as though there can be some decent gains from a cam upgrade - only problem is finding one!

Poeter
07-05-2005, 02:20 PM
Will heavy duty clutches be more difficult to use for daily driving since it would probably be designed for sports use?

Jus-10
07-05-2005, 04:13 PM
No. It's not some 3 puck, brass-button clutch or anything. It would just be a heavy duty upgrade. There would only be slight increase in pressure required to disengage the clutch and given the clutch in the Jazz is so damn light, I would see it as a good thing more than anything!

bennjamin
07-05-2005, 04:17 PM
After 4 runs on the 1/4 mile my clutch is notiecably suffering (albeit not too much)....

Is this in "a row" justin ? Or over time on say 4 seperate occasions ?
Ofcourse a clutch is prone to heating up and performance / grip will seemingly deterioate in a heated session but should return to normal after cooled down properly.

Jus-10
07-05-2005, 04:45 PM
It was in one night yeah....it just hasn't felt 100% since. It's still fine but I can tell the difference (I only have 11,000km on the car and drive very conservatively otherwise). Just me being pedantic more than anything....

I'm sure it doesn't look as pretty as Tony's just yet!

muli
08-05-2005, 10:03 AM
justin, wouldnt just be a case of it needin abit of adjustment?

Tony
08-05-2005, 10:32 AM
I have checked with a few different suppliers for L15A clutch but it seems like there's nothing available for the Jazz or L15A engine yet.

How safe is it to machine the flywheel? Has anyone heard any bad stories from machined flywheels?

As for the camshaft, I've been waiting for the big name brands like toda, mugen or spoon but I got a feeling that they are not going to design one for the small car market.

spoondc2
08-05-2005, 10:51 AM
I have checked with a few different suppliers for L15A clutch but it seems like there's nothing available for the Jazz or L15A engine yet.

How safe is it to machine the flywheel? Has anyone heard any bad stories from machined flywheels?

As for the camshaft, I've been waiting for the big name brands like toda, mugen or spoon but I got a feeling that they are not going to design one for the small car market.

I think Spoon did do something on their jazz track car? I mean they should have some engine mods?

For the machine flywheel thing, i got told by a mechanics that it's better not to race with that flywheel or it may crack or not smooth

Zimp13
08-05-2005, 12:42 PM
I think Spoon did do something on their jazz track car? I mean they should have some engine mods?

For the machine flywheel thing, i got told by a mechanics that it's better not to race with that flywheel or it may crack or not smooth

all depends on how good the mechanic is... as i said, i have done mine and brought to the track... no problem at all.... a good mechanic knows how much to machine off and to balance the flywheel....

spoondc2
08-05-2005, 01:33 PM
all depends on how good the mechanic is... as i said, i have done mine and brought to the track... no problem at all.... a good mechanic knows how much to machine off and to balance the flywheel....

Hmm... i do agree with you, but it's pretty hard to trust the mechanics here, especially doing engine work

I had 1000s of bad experience before

Zimp13
08-05-2005, 02:08 PM
Hmm... i do agree with you, but it's pretty hard to trust the mechanics here, especially doing engine work

I had 1000s of bad experience before

U r definitely rite.... lets assume the mechanic is good, then custom lighten flywheel is definitely ok.... cos its really that much cheaper..... lighten the flywheel together with changing the clutch... by doing this, u saving the labour for taking out and putting back the flywheel... normally an extra $150 is sufficient in lightening the flywheel when changing the clutch.....

GAS828
08-05-2005, 04:09 PM
where to get heavy duty clutch =(

Zimp13
08-05-2005, 07:20 PM
where to get heavy duty clutch =(

maybe spoonfit would be able to answer... he got so many mags abt jazz....

TODA AU
09-05-2005, 04:22 PM
I spoke to Exedy today regarding a HD clutch / sports organic kit.
At this stage none exists.
With luck, this will change soon.

I'll speak to TODA Japan about producing a drop-in camshaft & lightweight flywheel.

Tony
10-05-2005, 10:57 AM
That would be great man!! I'll be one of your first ones to buy your clutches and camshaft when they are available :thumbsup:

Thanks!!

I spoke to Exedy today regarding a HD clutch / sports organic kit.
At this stage none exists.
With luck, this will change soon.

I'll speak to TODA Japan about producing a drop-in camshaft & lightweight flywheel.

edw-R
10-05-2005, 11:32 AM
Try spoon flywheel and clutch kit.

TODA AU
10-05-2005, 12:35 PM
Try spoon flywheel and clutch kit.

Can't... None exist.

spoondc2
12-05-2005, 06:30 PM
Really doubt that Spoon hide some products of their Jazz Track car
They have LSD but no FD, no clutch no flywheel, no camshaft, no caliper

08ESE
16-05-2005, 03:22 PM
machining the flywheel is safe, as long as u get it balanced afterwards.

Your engine will free rev a bit more, BUT at the loss of some torque.