PDA

View Full Version : A subtile burnt smell after a spirited trip

Poeter
07-05-2005, 01:04 PM
Hmm, i'm not sure how to go about this but here's the situation.

About my jazz: It's a vti-s. It is about 1 and half month old since i bought it from the dealership. Already done 2600Kms on the clock.

My problem is after a spirited trip, which is shifting at around 2800-3000 but not over 3000rpm, i would get some burning smell near the rear of my car.
I dont think i'm burning my clutch because it's not coming from the front of the car and there's no smell when i pop up the hood. However, if i drive like a grandma say shift at 2300-2400, the smell cannot be noticed.

So i went around near the left sight of my rear wheel. I feel that it's quite warm near the wheel since the muffler is right next to the left rear wheel. Over here, i can smell some burning smell and while i went over to the other rear wheel, there's no heat or smell.

So i can assume it's my exhaust producing this unpleasant smell and i'm not sure what i should do? Expect it to be a normal sign since i shifting a bit late each gear or complain about it to honda on my 10000km service or complain now.

weeman
07-05-2005, 01:09 PM
it could be the paint from the exhaust heating up. ive noticed when you get an aftermarket exhaust put on you can sometimes smell the paint burning.

that could be it. not sure just a guess considering your car is still pretty new :)

Jus-10
07-05-2005, 01:36 PM
It's hard to know for sure, but given that it is new, it could just be things wearing in....

It could also be a bad batch of fuel (high sulfer content)...it's not that rotten egg smell is it?

It seems that the Jazz runs quite rich from the factory so that could also be a factor...

I wouldn't worry about it...if it is still there when you go in for your service, bring it up then.

Poeter
07-05-2005, 02:15 PM
It drew my attention when my friend claimed im burning my clutch when he walked around my car.

I'm quite sure it's not my clutch since smell is coming from the rear.

If it is, i'll be quite frustrated since i really thought i got the hang of driving a manual car. After all, i'm still new to manual since i used to drive a 89 model camry auto. But i believe im driving fine with manual since none of my passengers ever complained about the comfort of my rides.

PS: i'm using BP ultimate, would that contribute to the factor since im not using the recommended fuel type?

Perhaps, i should swtich down to PULP 95?

Jus-10
07-05-2005, 04:16 PM
The brand or RON rating of the fuel won't be the problem...sometimes you just get a bad batch that can get a bit on the nose.

It doesn't sound like it's the clutch.

If it's not affecting the performance of the car in any way, just sit it out and bring it up at the service...

ahcash
07-05-2005, 05:02 PM
I think the car is still running in.. leave it until 5000km I would say .. and if the smell is still there.. flag it with Honda Service..

TODA AU
07-05-2005, 06:47 PM
Drive it normally... It's run in. It was run in within the 1st 200km.
Spank it, thrash it, do your worst. Rev it out, load it up.
At least then the exhaust might get hot enough to burn the tar & crap off it.