PDA

View Full Version : [EURO] Carbon Fibre Bonnet

PERTH_EURO
07-05-2005, 06:25 PM
Ok guys

I have got a quote for a CF hood for my Euro.
If they can get one it will be about 1K.

Just wanted to throw up some conversation about these CF hoods
My questions are this:
Quality (the ones that had on display were of very good quality)
How long do they last, in terms of fading, cracking, going yellow etc
Would You bother getting one
Would you be concerned about insurance
would you be concerned about legalities of them
They are available in silver too

thoughts guys specially those who have had personal experience with them
Im very undecided.

euro77
07-05-2005, 07:08 PM
about 1k is alright for CF hood.
Do you have a pic of how it will look like?
Why would it be illegal?

The-Genesis
07-05-2005, 07:36 PM
Does carbon fibre make the car lighter and more agile?
CF is very light

Kawasaki
07-05-2005, 07:45 PM
most of the good cf bonnets have a uv protective coating to prevent sun damage.

cf bonnets are illegal, not sure about perth but in most cases they are, and with $1000 you could get much better bang for buck performance.

PERTH_EURO
07-05-2005, 08:03 PM
its for looks only. not sure of weight differance.

yes its illegal here in perth

it has cf skin, on a fibreglass frame.

kam
07-05-2005, 08:07 PM
why would they be illegal? maybe because their not as structurely strong as the stock bonnet, which could relate to issies such as crumple zones etc... but thats just some bullshit off the top off my head... it seems any modified part on a car is considered illegal these days, even gauges because if you get in an accident, "you could hit your head on them" pretty lame excuse ey?

yfin
07-05-2005, 08:07 PM
cf bonnets are illegal, not sure about perth but in most cases they are.

How does BMW sell the M3 CSL then?

Speeder
07-05-2005, 08:08 PM
1k for looks or 1k for performance??

I think personally cf bonnet are a waste of time, unless if you are serious about racing, to keep the weight down.

yfin
07-05-2005, 08:09 PM
1k for looks or 1k for performance??

I think personally cf bonnet are a waste of time, unless if you are serious about racing, to keep the weight down.

You would save more weight removing the spare wheel.

Speeder
07-05-2005, 08:10 PM

Look at the lamborghini cars or any exotics, the shell is made from cf :p
I thought the M3 CSL had a cf roof, not bonnet??

Speeder
07-05-2005, 08:12 PM
You would save more weight removing the spare wheel.

Yeah i know, but i was refering to going through with removing trim etc, like a proper N group race cars, then cf bonnet would be beneficial as they need anything to reduce weight.

Kawasaki
07-05-2005, 08:24 PM
why would they be illegal? maybe because their not as structurely strong as the stock bonnet, which could relate to issies such as crumple zones etc... but thats just some bullshit off the top off my head... it seems any modified part on a car is considered illegal these days, even gauges because if you get in an accident, "you could hit your head on them" pretty lame excuse ey?

crumple zones yes and the fact that cf shatters.... and if its just for looks paint your bonnet or something and save your self 1000$

aaronng
07-05-2005, 09:25 PM
It's illegal because it is not ADR tested.If you test it. It can be legal

learner
08-05-2005, 01:01 AM
It's illegal because it is not ADR tested.If you test it. It can be legal

just wanna add...
because most cf bonnet is in black color... if the color of the car is NOT registered in BLACK. cops can charge you that your car is not the color you have registered.

smoknhothonda
08-05-2005, 10:19 AM
just wanna add...
because most cf bonnet is in black color... if the color of the car is NOT registered in BLACK. cops can charge you that your car is not the color you have registered.

haha how crazy is that! I have never heard of someone in a beaten up kingswood or torana getting done for different colour panels!!!

Where is the evidence that C/F shatters?!?! sounds like horse shit to me, if its genuine carbon fibre, it wouldnt shatter.......

But yeah I have no doubts that they would be illegal and im sure the manufacturers place a 'for offroad use only' sticker on them.

But at the end of the day a K&N pod filter is illegal, 19 inch rims on a civic is illegal, a CF bonnet couldnt be that bad, and they look sweet :thumbsup:

tRipitaka
08-05-2005, 10:29 AM
just wanna add...

hmm, what if you have two-tone with airbrushed graphics of aaliyah on it ?
pretty hard to write that all on the description..

Where is the evidence that C/F shatters?!?! sounds like horse shit to me, if its genuine carbon fibre, it wouldnt shatter.......

Taken from another thread

Full Carbon bonnets are illegal.
You'll get a nice phat yellow sticker, if caught with one. Cause is your in an accident, the carbon can shatter, in to millions of shards and pearce the windscreen, or others around. And you do need the pins to hold it down.... Its so light, that there the chance that it may fling up in your windscreen.
While extreemly light, and cool looking, they are illegal and hell expensive for a legitimate full carbon bonnet.

PERTH_EURO
08-05-2005, 10:40 AM
just wanna add...

sorry man thats the funniest thing ive heard.

But the point raised about the hood flying open at speed is a real concern!

kam
08-05-2005, 10:55 AM
But at the end of the day a K&N pod filter is illegal, 19 inch rims on a civic is illegal, a CF bonnet couldnt be that bad:

cold air intakes are illegal? are you sure?

why do shops sell all these parts, eg gauges, CAI, GT wings, if they are illegal to put on your car?

i would like to modify my car, but i do also want to be at peace when i drive, and not constantly looking for the police who will dish me out a hefty fine...

Speeder
08-05-2005, 11:20 AM
In NSW, pod filters or CAI's are illegal unless they are enclosed ie boxed, not open, ie exposed in the engine bay...
Shops can sell anything, it doesn't mean they are all legal...

learner
08-05-2005, 11:22 AM
is illegal because it is different color from your registion paper.
they CAN charge you even you have a too big sticker or sth... cos is not the same color of your car... --- this is wat a cop tell me... if u know any cops... ask them... they CAN charge you if they want

snowman95
08-05-2005, 11:43 PM
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14218

Lowenhart
09-05-2005, 01:31 AM
Illegal cos most of the ones with the big center vent exit towards the windscreen...
WRX bonnet scoops are legal from the factory, but not if they're turned around.
Its got to do with hot fluids from engine bay may spray all over the car.

Lowenhart
09-05-2005, 01:35 AM
Oh and the ones for $1k aren't full CF. Its just CF skin on top and fibre on bottom...
Full CF bonnets cost 2-3 times as much.

[R]
09-05-2005, 11:38 AM
the carbon fibre they use in those cars are much much stronger than those used on bonnets with a layer of cf and the rest is fibreglass... the roof is cf on the csl's.

BiGANG
09-05-2005, 11:53 AM
are cf bonnets really flimsy, say for example when you open the bonnet, would it sag to the side where the metal rod thingy isnt holding it up, or is it like the metal one thats stays reasonable solid?

Lowenhart
10-05-2005, 01:01 AM
Yeah the CF skinned top ones do. Not sure about full CF ones.

PERTH_EURO
10-05-2005, 01:20 AM
i would say that 90% of cf hoods on oz roads would be cf skin fg frame

the one i was looking at was fibre glass framed

qmjona
11-05-2005, 08:14 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33646&item=7974036391&rd=1

here is one for $99 us,
postage would be a bit, but if it is less than $800 you are still ahead of $1000

jnc
12-05-2005, 07:55 PM
postage would be alot :D hahaha...especially from us

smoknhothonda
14-05-2005, 08:10 AM
cold air intakes are illegal? are you sure?

why do shops sell all these parts, eg gauges, CAI, GT wings, if they are illegal to put on your car?

i would like to modify my car, but i do also want to be at peace when i drive, and not constantly looking for the police who will dish me out a hefty fine...

K&N pods are illegal because they dont come with an ADR approval (and you can get done for excessive induction noise) so basically the cops can slap a defect on you because you have changed the OEM airfilter. But as far as I know the K&N panel filters are ok.... :rolleyes: (the cops have to take your box apart which I doubt they would!)

Did anyone see ACA last week on channel nine when the cops had a blitz down in sydney Brighton Le Sands. They towed away a 200sx because it had illegal modifications (aftermarket air filter turbo was all I spotted with a few other dress up bits) :thumbdwn:

Accord Basic
18-05-2009, 05:15 PM
A Carbon Bonnet shipped to Perth for $800, brand new, will you buy it? is it worth to get one? Please let me know what you think. Thanks

akina
18-05-2009, 05:28 PM
I'll probably get it if the rest of the car was complete lol.

Like it would be my last priority haha

$800 is a lot, can do many other things.

power_of_dreams
18-05-2009, 05:36 PM
A Carbon Bonnet shipped to Perth for $800, brand new, will you buy it? is it worth to get one? Please let me know what you think. Thanks

no chance.

Crapdaz
19-05-2009, 07:36 AM
not worth it unless your made out of money, as as akina said last thing.

Accord Basic
19-05-2009, 09:41 AM
yes, may be I do a ecu hook up first. Thanks guys

Type R Positive
19-05-2009, 02:08 PM
WOAH, OLD THREAD DUDE!!! :p

defibros
19-05-2009, 02:26 PM
is carbon bonnet really necessary?i personally think its just a cosmetic add on for the euro thats it..

Accord Basic
19-05-2009, 03:54 PM
the carbon bonnet weight 7kg only and the stock bonnet should be more than 20kg.

tony1234
19-05-2009, 04:00 PM
is carbon bonnet really necessary?i personally think its just a cosmetic add on for the euro thats it..
It's also illegal so for insurance purposes it's a definite no no.

WATAJK
20-12-2009, 07:16 PM
haha how crazy is that! I have never heard of someone in a beaten up kingswood or torana getting done for different colour panels!!!

But yeah I have no doubts that they would be illegal and im sure the manufacturers place a 'for offroad use only' sticker on them.

But at the end of the day a K&N pod filter is illegal, 19 inch rims on a civic is illegal, a CF bonnet couldnt be that bad, and they look sweet :thumbsup:

it doesnt shatter ur right...
The hinges lets go in a front on collision sending the bonnet straight through the windscreen saying hello to your head and cutting it off...
Thats what Genuine Carbon Fibre hoods do and thats how strong they can be..
The ISSUE generally is the hinges are always fkn weak and they always cut costs on them... The best bet to protect yourself then is to put bonnet pins to hold it down (GENUINE BONNET PINS)
Thx

furythree
22-12-2009, 12:07 AM
just buy a roll of carbon fibre textured vinyl off ebay. cheaper, looks the same. nobody can tell the difference. unless u want those slits and vents for "aerodynamics" in which case a hacksaw and a hammer will do the trick.