PDA

View Full Version : Hi i'm New - Teg Mod

Felix
07-05-2005, 07:28 PM
Hi guys, great site you have here.
I recently bourght a 1998 Integra VTi-R.
Its stock at the moment. (125kw)
I'm wanting to get a Pod Air Filter, Extracters, High FlowCat, and Exhaust.
Has anyone else done simular mods to this sort of car?
Do you guys know approx. how much power increse i will get? Say an extra 15kw?
And do you know approximately how much a good Extracters/cat/exhaust would be?
I dont want a really loud exhaust just want it for power reasons...
Thanks in advance!

Speeder
07-05-2005, 08:06 PM
Hey Felix. Um you could pay over 1k for a good japanese headers such as spoon, toda etc. if you are on a budget, look for x-force or even the jdm headers (i think they fit?)...for around half the price. For a cat, average price would be around $250.

enjoy your stay!

Felix
07-05-2005, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the reply.
Can anyone else answer any of my other questions?

JDM.Power
07-05-2005, 08:58 PM
hey welcome!

Integra
07-05-2005, 11:49 PM
hey mate and welcome!
some second hand JDM headers..
cat-back exhaust system & cold air intake will get and easy 15kw
if you dont want a loud exhaust, ill suggest get a MUGEN twin-loop muffler or other aftermarket mufflers with a silencer..

edw-R
08-05-2005, 01:57 AM
I don't think you will get 15kw at the wheel with those mods. If you really want to get maxi. power for these mods, you need to change cpu as well.

CJL
08-05-2005, 02:04 AM
Dam lot of felix's here now.

Fujitsubos are a good exhaust as far as im concerned.
Hmm probably gain 10kw's if ur lucky...

That is the problem with ur likes of honda they seem spend a lot on getting the most out of there engines, unlike ur likes of ur plague of nissans etc u slap a exhaust on u get another 10kw or what eva.....

It all comes down how much u willing to spend before every man and dog jumps on the twin loop mugen exhaust :p

The trust power extreme has a good note too not sure of gains...

if u have a happy dyno she will give u 100000000000kw do ur research dont just listen to randoms :p

spoondc2
08-05-2005, 10:40 AM
Hi guys, great site you have here.
I recently bourght a 1998 Integra VTi-R.
Its stock at the moment. (125kw)
I'm wanting to get a Pod Air Filter, Extracters, High FlowCat, and Exhaust.
Has anyone else done simular mods to this sort of car?
Do you guys know approx. how much power increse i will get? Say an extra 15kw?
And do you know approximately how much a good Extracters/cat/exhaust would be?
I dont want a really loud exhaust just want it for power reasons...
Thanks in advance!

Are you talking about 15kw on wheel? If yes, try the following
1. Pod Air filter(you better get something to be a head shield) or CAI
2. Extractor - Price low to high: Xforce, JDM 4-1(*), Toda
3. High flow cat - 2.5 inch
4. cat-back - 2.25 inch b-pipe and 2.5 inch exhaust pipe, Brand are depends your budget
5. CTR camshaft, put your stock intake valve spring on to exhaust side, get ITR intake spring, keep the stock cam pulley
6. ECU - price from low to high: VAFC, Emanage, unichip, Power FC, F-Con, Hondata, Motec
7. If you have extra money to play with, maybe you could get NGK Power Cable, 7 degree heat range plug, do some ground cable

Price for the Extracters/cat/exhaust are really depends
extractors - around $350 to $1200
Cat - 150 to 250
Catback zorst - 400 to 1200

Just personal opinions but hope it helps
Correct me if i am wrong too

HondaLva
08-05-2005, 10:54 AM
Hey mate welcome to OzHonda....good to see another teg owner....be really careful with your exhaust mods....as you may or may not know by putting the incorrect exhaust on you CAN lose power rather than gain....go for an off the shelf item...ie Apexi, Trust, Mugen, Spoon or Toda...there not cheap....good luck!!

HuntA
08-05-2005, 10:58 AM
lol CJL... ur drunk

hey felix welcome

type one
08-05-2005, 11:19 AM
welcome mate.

my best advice to you is not to make rash modification decisions.

r`Geno
09-05-2005, 08:41 PM
I'd say drive your stock car until you get used to it, then if you've got extra cash to flash take it to the track. Once your confident with your driving and want to get more out of the car you'll know exactly what to spend your money on.

:thumbup: Happy Cruis'n

kousoku
09-05-2005, 09:29 PM
yea i agree with r`geno.
just take yoru time, enjoy the ride you have and keep an eye out for products that you really want.
Often there are really good parts for sale (2nd hand) in the for sale seciton of ozhonda, and also there are good deals of brand new imported stuff from japan in the traders section.

You can save a lot of money from waiting for good deals and shopping around. Pay attention to forums and see what other people have tried and tested and ask questions then and learn. Make informed decisions.

Remeber, sometimes cheaper aint always better, but the most expeinsive option might not be the best either. remeber the quote "jdm rice yo"

edw-R
09-05-2005, 09:48 PM
I agree too. I don't trust jdm rice.

Felix
10-05-2005, 10:31 PM
Thanks heaps for the help guys..
Will let yas know how it goes.

Q_ball
10-05-2005, 10:32 PM
hey felix, welcome to OH buddy
good choice in car yo :D

spoondc2
11-05-2005, 12:45 PM
I agree too. I don't trust jdm rice.

LOL :thumbsup:

Felix
16-05-2005, 04:01 PM
Ok, now got the cash for the air intake. Should i go with a Cold Air Intake, or should i go with just a pod filter???
What brands should I look at? Also is there any other cheap(under $600) mods that i can do in the way of performance.???? I'm going to do the Extractors/cat/exhaust system when i get my tax money.

kousoku
16-05-2005, 07:31 PM
i just got a simota cai, which sounds mad and smoothens out the power band a bit. also adds some bling to the engine bay. I would recommend the cold air intake over sri or just pod.
mine costed 200 and i got it from trav - egsi -> in the traders seciton,
many other brands sell cai but usually cost a lot more.

J-MuN
16-05-2005, 08:02 PM
congrates on ur purchase.. I/H/E will be always ur first bang for buck mods...

Felix
16-05-2005, 09:55 PM
kousoku

How much your clutch cost?

Did u notice any diference in performance with the intake fitted?

Would going a better/more pricey brand give better performance results?

Sorry for the questions... Thanks.

Felix
16-05-2005, 10:06 PM
Ok guys. Was thinking this for my exhaust setup on my VtiR -

http://undergroundimports.com.au/ecommerce/os/catalog/index.php?cPath=23_41

http://undergroundimports.com.au/ecommerce/os/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=201

http://undergroundimports.com.au/ecommerce/os/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=172

All XForce, are they any good? Is this a good setup?
I think its cheap.

kousoku
16-05-2005, 10:12 PM
hey,
my clutch costed like 660 sent to australia including a light weight fly wheel (all exedy),
intake - sounded heap sbetter maybe not any more power but a smother power band.
more expensive brands will fit better, look better, but in most cases will improve performance by very very little, its more about the rice factor.

as for your exhaust, i bought the same high flow cat, but haven't yet installed.

Xforce is a good reliable cheap brand, will give u improvements over stock, but wont give you as good gains as a jdm style brand.
overall though, power gains to money ratio is better, but not as ricey.
as per the twin loop i rekcon they are way to quiet, its like softer then stock. good for gains bad for the sound =P

Felix
16-05-2005, 10:15 PM
i dont care about sound, allthough if its quieter then stock, i dont want that.
I dont want rice factor either. I just want power improvements. Even if it is only 5 kw.
Would i get more power if i got a barrel exhaust instead of the twin loop.

Felix
16-05-2005, 10:21 PM
and i also dont want to break the bugget. wanna spend max $1600 on exhaust system...

kousoku
16-05-2005, 10:22 PM
imo prob same power, doesn't really matter as long as its high flow.

if u wanted to get the most out of your mods, i/h/e then u should get a ecu as well. it would turn like gains of 5kwatw to like 10-15kwatm.
that is going to be my next mod =D

lol i rekcon wait for a bit and save up all your money first =D my dc2 was stock for like almost half a year =P.

Felix
16-05-2005, 10:28 PM
How much is a good ecu though?
aren't they like $3000?
i think i will do exhaust first, then ecu latter (1yrs time)

kousoku
16-05-2005, 10:30 PM
ecu = 1100 awsome price. some guy is selling on ozhonda's traders seciton, i think its bt revolution.
any ways enjoy your teg.

kOncept
17-05-2005, 01:46 AM
i've seen a dc2 vti-r with big dollar exhaust (incl. extractors everything) and a custom CAI setup beat typeRs in a straight line that inlcludes dc2R and dc5R (both in stock form), was just done for a test :) so i recommend these mods,

personally i save up and go for the more expensive mods because i know i'll want to upgrade again later, so if you plan to upgrade again after this exhaust set up don't do it just wait and go for the best (test and proven) set up u can get your hands on, I've wasted a lot of money not doing it right the first time, anyway congrats on the teg, just my 2c

welcome i'm new too :D

Felix
17-05-2005, 07:52 AM
tthanks Koncept. The problem is where i live i can't get stuff like that...
Any aussie websites that sell them (mugen exhausts ect.) or review them?

kOncept
17-05-2005, 11:03 AM
which part of aussie are you in? If you are serious i can have a chat to my friend and see if we can arrange freighting the parts over to you?

http://bob123e.tripod.com/thegreatheadertest/

the link is not australian but check it out a good guide...

Felix
17-05-2005, 11:20 AM
Newcastle NSW.
Dont know about spending the cash on it though.

kOncept
17-05-2005, 04:12 PM
well the question remains to what extent do you want to modify this car to?
do you just want an improvement on stock? or to milk everything out of it? what will this car be used for? track? street? drag? ricer? these cars are reasonably "fast" as standard so it's really up to you

ginganggooly
17-05-2005, 07:05 PM
i'd say go for one of the US brand headers- if you can source one, you may be able to land an smsp here for 1k or less, and i'd personally take that over any of the jap ones regardless of price. the fact it's a couple of bob cheaper makes it even sweeter.

don't waste money on a brand name exhaust, they are a straight bits of pipe at the end of the day... as long as it's a traight through system you're looking at, there is basically no difference between a good custom setup and an expensive aftermarket system. in terms of performance.

an ecu is a good next step, i think it's good idea to get that out of the way straight after knocking over the exhaust. at least, thats how i did it, and i have been pretty happy with the result. i don't know exactly how much it'll set you back to get it done, but a hondata setup would be HEAPS cheaper than 3k.

edw-R
17-05-2005, 08:23 PM
there is basically no difference between a good custom setup and an expensive aftermarket system. in terms of performance.

LoL.

ginganggooly
17-05-2005, 08:31 PM
LoL.

ah, so you're about to enlighten me as to how your average $1k+ jap cat back setup yields better numbers than a well made custom, mandrel bent system of the same diameter :rolleyes:

Felix
17-05-2005, 09:10 PM
used for street, definately dont want the Rice appeal.. Maybe take it on the track every now and again, in the future.
The most i'll probably do to this car is full exhaust system Headers/cat/tip , air intake, and maybe ECU....
I dont nessesarily want to milk it for all its worth, just want a few extra KWs.
The limit to what i want to spend on this car is about 3K. So i was thinkin i will order that Xforce exhaust/cat/headers. because from what i've heard that is good stuff and its cheap (all together under 1K). will probably go the K&N Pod Filter. And might look at a Hondata ECU in the future, anyone know where to get one from?

kOncept
17-05-2005, 11:32 PM
yeah the rice appeal thing is getting REALLY OLD, good decision ;) if you're on a budget then sure go for the best you can afford,

I'm sure the boys here would be able to advise you on sourcing a hondata i wouldn't know myself, IMO i would get the hondata last that way you only have to get it tuned once or twice, dyno runs can get quite pricey after a while... best of luck with the car. :honda:

how many k's have been done on the stock suspension? I think if you're going to track this car you might wanna look at suspension and brake upgrades too? brakes are a relatively cheap upgrade and well worth it not only will you perform better on track but you'll feel much safer on the streets too :)

Felix
18-05-2005, 07:10 AM
The car has done 80 000 KMs