PDA

View Full Version : Gas Injection Technology

Chris_F
08-05-2005, 10:58 PM
I came across this australian innovation just then and thought i would share:
http://www.gas-injection.com
check out the site and have a read - very cool.

It looks like something i'd consider doing if its available in the near future. Great to see an aussy invention such as this - who would have thought the day would come that converting your car to gas could be a performance mod? making the most of the 110 octane autogas offers with an aftermarket ecu sounds good to me too :D

BiGANG
09-05-2005, 10:03 AM
sounds pretty interesting. i saw a couple of rotors running lpg for the same reason (the octane thing) and coz they drink more than 8's. I wonder what the conversion is worth

Chris_F
09-05-2005, 02:25 PM
apparently it'll be cheaper than current conversion methods - $2700 is the estimated price. apparently current systems are around 3000-3500 or so for inferior technology.

panda[cRx]
09-05-2005, 10:17 PM
this was on that ABC show "the new inventors"

ECU-MAN
09-05-2005, 11:21 PM
hmmm LPG injected, droul

I saw this 10 years ago on a EF Falcon.
its a real pitty it hasnt kicked off,
I think its illegal here, unless you developing it.

BiGANG
10-05-2005, 09:01 AM
why would it be illegal? i thought LPG would be a better alternative to regular petrols.

Chris_F
10-05-2005, 05:11 PM
yea definitely not illeagle - check out the website, this australian company is really trying to push the technology. I'm actualyl seriously considering it as a "performance" mod (which it could be with some ecu tuning taking advantage of increased octane levels?). Reduces emissions and pays for itself in the end too - LPG = :cool:

steve
10-05-2005, 06:04 PM
i've read bout this sorta stuff as part of my apprenticeship, mainly 4 heavy earthmoving deisel tho... in this application 4 emissions tho, with the upside of power, sorta good n bad, while hydrocarbons n soot go down nitrous oxides go thru the roof due very high cylinder temps, same wit petrol i guess, long term effects of pistons, rings n valves is could be abit iffy

Chris_F
10-05-2005, 06:08 PM
thanks for the input steve. I was wondering about how the engines would hold up. What do u think the prospects of it are - could it take off?

steve
10-05-2005, 06:29 PM
imo prob not, hard 2 store (ie big ugly tank in boot) messy when refilling, not many refilling stations around, also when u convert 2 lpg u have 2 notify rta, n i guess they would test intallation inc. emissions, so if fitted u would think that installer would have 2 tune 4 decent emissions not 4 performance :( sorta cancel'n out ne advantages, maybe if u got checked out THEN tuned ;), hmm dunno:confused:

Chris_F
10-05-2005, 07:18 PM
yea it'll be interesting to see how it goes now that you've pointed that out - i was getting a bit excited about hte possibilities of it.

mooshie
10-05-2005, 08:43 PM
lpg doesn't have any of the additives that petrol has too such as upper cylinder lube, detergents for the injectors etc. so i doubt it would be too healthy for an engine not built specifically for it, lpg cars should run a full tank of petrol through the system for every 4 tanks of lpg, this means to get the benefits of the lpg you would have to re-tune your car for the lpg or petrol each time you change fuel types. you would also need an aftermarket computer....

r`Geno
10-05-2005, 08:51 PM
Ah, the good old days in my dad's LPG van - but then we did have to carry this big arse gas cylinder with us everywhere, and put up with that god-awful smell.....ewww

:thumbsup: for idea tho

ECU-MAN
10-05-2005, 10:00 PM
you dont need a new computer if fitting to Honda, but depending on your honda you might have to change it. alot of Honda ECUz can be modified to accomidate a LPG map.

as far as I know LPG injection is Ilegal to sell to the public, due to safty, I could be wrong. but it is not illegal to do it if you are developing it.

also if you have an unleaded engine, you dont need to worry about your valves and seats, as they have been hardend, super had lead in it to lubricate your valves and valve seats.

Fattony
07-06-2005, 07:25 PM
Ive either seen this system or something similar on a Holden Rodeo i had in at work, basically same setup, gas injectors, and it had wat looked like a ecu for the system, i was told this was a $$$$$ system also. Car started and drove like a petrol item so thumbs up there. As far as legallity goes, im fairly certian that LPG components are available to the public, however the systems service lines need to be installed (includes connecting) by a licenced fitter on a licenced premises for the install to be deemed legal.

Limbo
26-06-2005, 12:13 AM
damn modifying the engine once its setup could end up being either illegal or a dangerous job!