PDA

View Full Version : Is Civic Type R Comming to OZ?

civic_R
09-05-2005, 12:42 PM
Hey guys!
Just wondering if guys knew Civic Type R will be available in OZ in the near future as I'm thinking to buy a new car soon...
I wanted to get something at 40k or under and only option I see at the moment is WRX, Corolla sportivo or Pug 206 Gti 180. Rexy's insurance is very high and I read that sportivo still has problems with their gear box so I think I'll stay away from it and that leaves it to just the 206 which the size of the car bothers me a bit... not much option...
If there was Type R here in OZ it would be perfect but I don't see any available on Honda's web site.
Do any of you guys know anything about it?
Thanks in advance!

garett
09-05-2005, 12:52 PM
from what i gather i dont think that the ep civic type R is going to come to australia, you can often find a second hand ek9 civic type R for sale i believe there is one in brisbane atm for around 25,000 (which is cheap) and would be a great investment as there is probably only 20 of these cars in australia so it will allways hold its value very well.

from what your question states it appears that you are looking for a new car. have you considered an integra type R, even the dc5 which is the newer shape, it has the same engine as the new ep civic type R.
i have been in a 206 gti180 and i wasnt that impressed, as i am an owner of a peugeot as well it didnt even compare to others that i have been in.

i have heard good and bad things about the sportivo, i didnt hear about the gearbox.

as for the rex, well everyone has one...
just my two cents mate.

yfin
09-05-2005, 12:57 PM
What about the Euro?

Q_ball
09-05-2005, 12:58 PM
What about the Euro?

from the sounds of things, i think hes lookin for a sporty sort of car witha bit of punch...

type one
09-05-2005, 01:26 PM
Australia will be void of any new type R's, we are a non-type R nation :(

civic_R
09-05-2005, 01:28 PM
Thanks guys for your reply. Looks like no Civic type R... Australia always seems to miss out in the goodies...
You're right q_ball I'm looking to get something new that I can have bit of fun with. I also liked the Integra R but now with type S (little softy IMO) and more mula than rexy I can't justify it.
Sorry that I sound like a little winger but I really liked look and the performance of the Civic R and was hoping it was gonna be here... Anyways thanks again guys for your information. I really apreciate it!
Cheers!

z3lda
09-05-2005, 02:13 PM
Get The Subaru Liberty Gt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
190KW AWD

or you can wait for the mazda 6 AWD turbo

Terry
09-05-2005, 03:05 PM
if i got $40000.....i would like to get a 2nd hand Benz C32:D

gatecrasher
09-05-2005, 03:13 PM
Another option would be the clio sport 182 it's supposed to be "better" than the
peugeot and has a similar price.

PaZzMaN-R
09-05-2005, 03:28 PM
if i were you, there would be no doubt in my mind of what car to choose 1.wrx 2. integra type r - although i do not know the insurance on the integras. there is a reason everyone has the wrx's tho

CTR Coupe
09-05-2005, 03:37 PM
The EP3 is available under SEVS compliance however you would have to smash a few of them to get the safety rating as Honda Australia will not give people the crash testing information from Japan.

Honda Australia is only interested in the luxury market they are trying to make themselves like another Merc/BMW/Audi. It will be interesting to see how the new legend goes since it bombed last time. Why buy a Honda when you can get a merc BMW or Audi for slightly more. People that buy cars like that most of the time its all about the name.

Honda Australia isn’t interested in “sports cars” because when they have put something sporty on the market it doesn’t sell well enough here.

McChook was talking about it before.

n/a
09-05-2005, 03:55 PM
Another option would be the clio sport 182 it's supposed to be "better" than the
peugeot and has a similar price.

clio sport IS better, that car has so much kick it's impressive.

but then again you wouldn't want to wipe the windows instead of indicating :thumbdwn:

$40k? S2000.. definitely..

civic_R
09-05-2005, 04:07 PM
Gatecrasher, the clio 182 out do the 206 gti 180 in performance but I really don't like the look of clio...
Man, honda invests so much in motor sport (F1) yet they don't wanna invest little more and bring in their hot hatch where more and more people in OZ are turning to smaller cars, even goverment encouraging to go small & fuel effecient. I would thought honda would catch on with the trend and do quite well with Civic type R if the price was less than that of big bro Integra which might not of sold well due to its competion such as WRX at similar price.

Setanta
09-05-2005, 04:16 PM
I thought McChook was getting one into the country... or knew someone who was Sev-ing it.

Honda Aust suck big time - we have never had a top of the range Civic or 'teg here (and don't talk to me about the DC2s and DC5s as they wern't JDM spec).

I did hear that we might get the Si EP from the USA - but 160bhp in an EP - yuck... it's bad enough in an EF9 - Honda Au prolly scotched that one too due to them being limp-wristed fags who don't want to break a nail driving a halfway decent car. Not that there's anything wrong with being gay... unless you work for Honda Au and make decisions on what cars to bring in.

57UDD
09-05-2005, 04:20 PM
I'd say go for a 2nd hand s2k. I got a wrx and its ok but i still want a honda. After driving an s2k i want one so much now.

57UDD
09-05-2005, 04:23 PM
I also tried to get an EP3 under SEVS rule however everyone kept on fcukin me round, and wouldnt return my calls or anythin.

CONAN
09-05-2005, 05:52 PM
S2000, but I guess your looking for a NEW car! NEW car guys!

for under $40k, I'd go a sportivo. New one is great! And you'll have money left over for insurance and everything else.

Toyota is No.1 now! (read it on SMH two months ago!)

CONAN
09-05-2005, 05:56 PM
Hatch Sportivo 5dr Man 6sp 1.8i $28,990

http://corolla.toyota.com.au/TWR/vehicle/content/0,4216,1200_142,00.html

The-Genesis
09-05-2005, 06:45 PM
i wouldnt touch the mazda, all that turbo charging but all it does is 0-100 in 7 secs i was kinda disapointed eh. Integra type S is basically same as the type R with a bit of luxury. Portivo corrola lol? is that even a sports car? :D

Vivski
09-05-2005, 07:13 PM
Could get a very quick VW Golf for $40,000. You'd get a clean 1-2yo GTi with bugger all kms and $$ to spare to get it in your name and insured.

Or you could get a Civic and do an engine transplant. Or you could import a clean, low kms Pulsar GTiR for $13,000 and spend the other $27,000 on insuring it.

WRX would kill you on insurance and gearbox/clutch, fuel, etc. And everyone has one.

With $40k, you have options.

Vivski
09-05-2005, 07:23 PM
Or if you like the wind in your hair, you could get a Clubman. :p Super low kms, infact it looks like it's only ever been driven in reverse!! -10,000km
http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!cs_content.private_vehicle?vehicle_id=2141785&current_rec=1&total_rec=1&sort_type=&make_id=397&state_id=-1&search_distance=25

$50,000 will buy you a Lotus Elise...
http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!cs_content.private_vehicle?vehicle_id=2160514&current_rec=3&total_rec=15&sort_type=&make_id=42&state_id=-1&search_distance=25

If you were thinking of a WRX but also thinking everyone's got one... you could try an EVO6 instead. That is a seriously fast car and you'll get one for low $40k, but insurance and fuel...
http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!cs_content.private_results?make_id=3&keyword=EVO&search_distance=25&search_postcode=&sort_type=3
Beats the 206, doesn't it? :p

But you're a little short for the $1M EVO7...
http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!cs_content.private_vehicle?vehicle_id=2303465&current_rec=1&total_rec=61&sort_type=3&make_id=3&keyword=EVO&search_distance=25

57UDD
09-05-2005, 08:23 PM
DAMN!!! $1mil evo 7 :eek:

yfin
09-05-2005, 09:27 PM
from the sounds of things, i think hes lookin for a sporty sort of car witha bit of punch...

What makes you think the Corolla Sportivo (or even the 1-2 year old Golf GTI someone mentioned) is better than the Euro in that respect?

civic_R
09-05-2005, 09:34 PM
Thanks for some quality infos and some unbias suggestion of non honda cars. As mentioned before I am looking for a new car and don't really wanna (can't affort :( ) to go any more than 40k.
I'm very surprised some of you guys thought that corolla sportivo might be a good go for my budget.
I like the look of them but I really am worried about the probs some guys are having at corolla's forum. Its a brand new car so I might wait and see how those members find their car lol

yfin
09-05-2005, 09:36 PM
Thanks for some quality infos and some unbias suggestion of non honda cars. As mentioned before I am looking for a new car and don't really wanna (can't affort :( ) to go any more than 40k.
I'm very surprised some of you guys thought that corolla sportivo might be a good go for my budget.
I like the look of them but I really am worried about the probs some guys are having at corolla's forum. Its a brand new car so I might wait and see how those members find their car lol

PM Peekay34 - he sold his Sportivo for the Euro and hasn't looked back.

P.s. - I forgot to mention that the new Golf GTI is getting fantastic reviews. It is much faster than the old turbo model and does 0-100 in high 6s. Worth looking into around that price range. And unlike older golfs - this one really handles.

tegstar83
09-05-2005, 09:54 PM
yeah the golf's got 4wdrive as well and is pretty hot hatch.
But I was talking to this guy who recons he's getting an accord euro R brought in, so this is possible??

**Ghost**
09-05-2005, 09:56 PM
wot u guys reckon with the 2006 Civic? wonder if we get teh type R or at least the SIR

civic_R
09-05-2005, 10:35 PM
Hmmm never thought of golf gti... I'll have at look at that too.

EK9
10-05-2005, 01:06 AM
i fink the new golf gti is gonna be $50K+... cos it's one damn fine piece of machinery... i luv hot hatches. :D

CTR Coupe
10-05-2005, 02:35 AM
i supose Australia isn't getting the 200kw focas RS?

Id steer well clear of the sportivos. There’s still wayyy to many problems with them.
as I’ve said in every other post about them the 141kws they supposedly have is a huge lie by Toyota. Toyota fudges the power output by removing every accessory on the engine

civic_R
10-05-2005, 06:46 AM
i fink the new golf gti is gonna be $50K+... cos it's one damn fine piece of machinery... i luv hot hatches. :D

I've gone to Oz Volkswagen's site and foud out that the new Gti will be going for $39,990 for 6 speed man. I think I found the winner! :D
I'm not sure when it'll be available here but I'll be looking out for it.
There weren't any other info's apart from the price but UK's site had prenty of stuff there http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/gti/image_gallery/
Cheers and thanks everyone for your advices!

[R]
10-05-2005, 06:50 AM
man 1 mil for that evo? pfft... that guy must be dreaming.. :p

yfin
10-05-2005, 12:11 PM
I've gone to Oz Volkswagen's site and foud out that the new Gti will be going for $39,990 for 6 speed man. I think I found the winner! :D
I'm not sure when it'll be available here but I'll be looking out for it.
There weren't any other info's apart from the price but UK's site had prenty of stuff there http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/gti/image_gallery/
Cheers and thanks everyone for your advices!

It will be a great car - but it is not 4WD like someone suggested above. The DSG gearbox is actually faster than the manual - I would still prefer the manual.

BLKek
10-05-2005, 01:08 PM
Friend of mine has the new golf on order, he even reneged on a new R32 golf about a year ago after he got wind of what the next gen golf gti was something special, its really killing the reviews atm...

EK9
10-05-2005, 10:29 PM
oops! i meant the r32 golf was alot of $$$... sorry :)

yeah the GTi would be an awesome car... yummy!
good choice buddy... GO THE HOT HATCHES!!! :D

daidoidoi
11-05-2005, 12:04 AM
maybe a stuipid question ...but are the EK 9 registable in oz ???can it be legally imported ...i saw the one mentioned in carsales for 25k ....really interested ...just dunno if it's legal or not

DC5R8
11-10-2005, 12:30 AM
forget about CIVIC TYPE R man..wont be imported in the future!

BLKek
11-10-2005, 10:50 AM
yeah the golf's got 4wdrive as well

the new gti - no they aren't...

DC5R8
16-10-2005, 11:04 PM
i think 2006 VW GolF GTI is very good option man!
btw, it depends on the purpose of use and personal preference.if u like to be seated more comfortable. u gotta use a European car mate...

8100rpm
17-10-2005, 08:38 AM
have u thought about the new hsv astra or whatever its call, its pretty good looking and is powerful

Fr3aKi3
17-10-2005, 08:52 AM
Golf GTi's - fwd
Golf R32's - 4wd

Apparently the Astra VXR suffers from massive torque steer... but that was from a british review so whether or the suspension will be tweaked for aussie roads or not i'm not too sure of.

SlobberGoat
17-10-2005, 10:29 AM
<vent>

I don't understand why Honda Australia are so ANAL about their models.
If some one walks through the door with money and asks for a jap-spec model, why dont honda just bring the damn thing in....our local cars arrive on a boat, so whats the big deal of rolling another jap car onto the same boat? Safety reasons? Yeah...SO!...if the person wants the car bad, then bring the car in for them and let them fit side intrusion bars... it aint that big a deal honda!

Ah f*ck it.... vote ME for prime-minister and I'll remove all those crap tarriffs/taxes and let you kids import what ever you want.... (I'll also take state tax off fuel too...and remove the speed limits off main freeways (this country could do with a few autobahns)...and ban tollways as well. )

</vent>

94CIVICVTI
17-10-2005, 04:00 PM
yeh r32 are one of the hottest hatchs. you could pick 04 up for around $40k - $50k
cool little car.

and lotus elise, phwor. i went in one of these not long ago. god damn amazing for a car with some 100kw (complements it light weight), i was told it does 0-100 in 5.4 secs??? felt like it too...

aaronng
17-10-2005, 04:19 PM
Elise 111R... yum yum.... 141kW. An Exige would be even better! But it'd be too bone-jarring for our roads as a daily driver. And it has a Toyota engine. :p

daniel vtec
17-10-2005, 05:02 PM
il get an ep3....but honda australia dont sell them do they?

danish
17-10-2005, 05:23 PM
Hey guys!
Just wondering if guys knew Civic Type R will be available in OZ in the near future as I'm thinking to buy a new car soon...
I wanted to get something at 40k or under and only option I see at the moment is WRX, Corolla sportivo or Pug 206 Gti 180. Rexy's insurance is very high and I read that sportivo still has problems with their gear box so I think I'll stay away from it and that leaves it to just the 206 which the size of the car bothers me a bit... not much option...
If there was Type R here in OZ it would be perfect but I don't see any available on Honda's web site.
Do any of you guys know anything about it?
Thanks in advance!

Just about all of these cars (besides the Sportivo) will cost alot more than $40K once you take into account on road costs and insurance. Particularly the rex.

Is your maximum $40k all up or do you have extra for insurance etc??

If you are after a [b]true[/i] performance car and want it brand new you might have to save for a little longer........

Other than that i'd go a 2nd hand Type R if you want to stay with Honda, or if you aren't really that fussed about outright pace, a 2.5L liberty would be bloody nice

aaronng
17-10-2005, 07:31 PM
If you want something fast and cheap(er) to insure, then go for the Clio Sport. I've heard WRX owners comment that those things are fast as! Pity that there is almost no bootspace and I would probably be unable to fit into the driver's seat.

ATSEK4
19-10-2005, 07:01 PM
Hatch Sportivo 5dr Man 6sp 1.8i $28,990

http://corolla.toyota.com.au/TWR/vehicle/content/0,4216,1200_142,00.html

Never Toyota ! Honda for Life !

ITRBoI
19-10-2005, 07:04 PM
dont think we ever going to have a civic type R in aus unless you import it yourself. most of the civic R's in aus are would be mostly replica..

Vivski
20-10-2005, 12:58 PM
Not the Astra!

VW Golf GTi for sure (if you're still looking). You have to test drive one of these things... go the DSG gearbox! Apparently the power is impressive and the shifts are lightning fast.

BLKEM1
20-10-2005, 03:34 PM
Golf GTI is good choice over any jap cars in term of performance and about $40k mark...only thing is once you get sunroof, leather....or other options it will be come close to $50k mark :o

aaronng
20-10-2005, 03:48 PM
MkV Golf GTi is heaps good looking. But it's $42,000ish.... I'd still go for a Clio Sport 182 if you didn't need the space. $32,000ish

**Ghost**
21-10-2005, 04:21 AM
kinda outside the class u guys are discussing, but mitsu is bringing out a colt turbo early next year...aorund $24,000 could be a budget option, output at 115KW so its a hot hatch

T-onedc2
21-10-2005, 07:57 AM
Get The Subaru Liberty Gt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
190KW AWD

or you can wait for the mazda 6 AWD turbo
Just a little out of the price range at 60k on road.

sivic
21-10-2005, 06:10 PM
depending on how long you're prepared to wait, the K20 Civic Si may make it here late next year (industry source). but i think it may be dependent on the success of the initial 2006 civic release. fingers crossed

Iron Chef
16-05-2006, 01:35 PM
Hi guys - just bumping up this old thread!

I have great pleasure in announcing that, after much blood, sweat and tears, I've managed to get the EP3 Civic Type R approved for import under the SEVS regulations.

Final sign-off should be occurring as I write this, but the application has passed through all the processes necessary.

What this essentially means for you guys is that the JDM EP3 can be imported and complied from Japan and registered here for under $30,000 for a used 2001 model with say around 50,000km on it.

Not quite as good as being able to buy them new, but hey, they'll be available very soon. Awesome news for P platers in NSW in particular!:thumbsup:

DreadAngel
16-05-2006, 01:44 PM
I never thought it was possible for the EP3 to pass under SEVS... I'd think the board of SEVS would be like "Civic? Type R? They already got the Integra Type R, this isn't special at all... Case closed... Next!" But glad to see at least a Civic Type R can be brought in

tanalasta
16-05-2006, 01:51 PM
I would pay $40k for a Civic Si. Though if it comes to Australia I'll be fairly disappointed having just gone all-out for the Civic Sports.

Unfortunately, they're right. At 45k + it's a niche market that just won't sell well. Ask yourself - VW GTI or Civic Si in that price range? And even if you were considering it ... other options such as the Honda Euro Luxury are just too hard to pass up.

Iron Chef
16-05-2006, 02:17 PM
I never thought it was possible for the EP3 to pass under SEVS... I'd think the board of SEVS would be like "Civic? Type R? They already got the Integra Type R, this isn't special at all... Case closed... Next!" But glad to see at least a Civic Type R can be brought in

Are you serious?? Do your research about the differences between the JDM and ADM Type Rs and get back to me...

CIVIX
16-05-2006, 02:36 PM
Saw one of these cars on the road yesterday on the way to uni, looked quite impressive, although it did have all the additional options as well, not a bad price either...
http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/news_reports/ford-focus-xr5-turbo.htm

aaronng
16-05-2006, 03:17 PM
EP3 would beat the shit out of the VXR and XR5. The handling is just better. Also, the EP3 accelerates better than a DC5R (Best Motoring K20A comparison).

IS250
16-05-2006, 05:00 PM
Honda oz are working on getting the new Type R here. In the mean time, the Mazda 3 MPS arriving in August will probably be the best hot hatch.

Lol at the Sportivo. Ignore the name, theres nothing sporty about them. Unless Wheels magazine stuffed up completely, but according to their road tests a Mazda 6 Classic is just as quick as a Sportivo Corolla or Celica. Something like 8.6 0-100kmh compared with the Sportivo's 8.5 sec.

aaronng
16-05-2006, 05:27 PM
Honda oz are working on getting the new Type R here. In the mean time, the Mazda 3 MPS arriving in August will probably be the best hot hatch.

Lol at the Sportivo. Ignore the name, theres nothing sporty about them. Unless Wheels magazine stuffed up completely, but according to their road tests a Mazda 6 Classic is just as quick as a Sportivo Corolla or Celica. Something like 8.6 0-100kmh compared with the Sportivo's 8.5 sec.
The Sportivo is not a fast car. The engine is not suited for such a heavy car. Also, it doesn't get hand lightening and balancing like the B18C, so low end torque suffers as well. But, for 29,990, you get the 141kW car, fully equipped with leather, 6 CD changer that supports MP3 playback and climate control. It is cheap if you want leather in a hatch.

BTW, I think Wheels stuffed the times. Even for the Euro, they tested it to do 8.2s back in 2003, but then in 2005 when they did another review for the luxury model, they got 7.9s. Furthermore, the 05 was heavier with the luxury spec and 17" rims! So I don't trust the 0-100km/h times from Wheels.

IS250
16-05-2006, 05:50 PM
The Sportivo is not a fast car. The engine is not suited for such a heavy car. Also, it doesn't get hand lightening and balancing like the B18C, so low end torque suffers as well. But, for 29,990, you get the 141kW car, fully equipped with leather, 6 CD changer that supports MP3 playback and climate control. It is cheap if you want leather in a hatch.

BTW, I think Wheels stuffed the times. Even for the Euro, they tested it to do 8.2s back in 2003, but then in 2005 when they did another review for the luxury model, they got 7.9s. Furthermore, the 05 was heavier with the luxury spec and 17" rims! So I don't trust the 0-100km/h times from Wheels.

Shit, I wasn't aware of the price. That is pretty good value. I thought it was at least $35K, just a little bit less than the Celica. Didn't Toyota detune the engine recently? I remember reading somewhere that it was 'only' ~ 130 something?

Maybe Wheels changed the way they test. I'm pretty sure they use to test with at least one passenger and a full tank of petrol.

aaronng
16-05-2006, 09:45 PM
Shit, I wasn't aware of the price. That is pretty good value. I thought it was at least $35K, just a little bit less than the Celica. Didn't Toyota detune the engine recently? I remember reading somewhere that it was 'only' ~ 130 something?

Maybe Wheels changed the way they test. I'm pretty sure they use to test with at least one passenger and a full tank of petrol.
I think the detuned 130kW version was for the US, so that they didn't complain about the lack of low end. AUDM Sportivos still had the 141kW version (complete with the lack of power at 5500RPM). But now it is discontinued and you can't get them anymore....

Hmm, 1 passenger + petrol will kill the Sportivo's low end performance. I prefer to look at 80-120km/h overtaking times as well as 0-400m for a rough estimate.

If it wasn't for the Sportivo's large cabin and reliability, I'd say the Clio Sport would have killed it in every way.