PDA

View Full Version : Tranny-Mount issues...

VT3C
09-05-2005, 05:41 PM
Well as most of you already know, have done a JDM B16A swap into my EG5.

Now the workshop (who will remain nameless) that did the swap was fkn terrible. driving home from a cruise one night, had a bolt fall out onto the ground - was one of the 2 bolts to go into the gearbox side of things through the Tranny-Mount Bracket. when I put the car on stands to examine how it fell out, the 2nd bolt fell onto my head (!!!).

It turns out the "engineer" that modified the D-series mount-bracket, mere'ly chopped off the top part of the "T" bracket so it was like an upside-down "L". To space the bracket in the position where the B16A needs to align with the bracket, the "engineer" welded on some oversize nuts.

when the bracket failed, one of the welded on nuts had come un-welded and the other wasnt far behind it.

I will post the pics I have of their workmanship v's stock B16A tranny mount-bracket.

ANYWAY, to cut a long story short, I am trying to fit this dang mount-bracket.

1st night I tried removing intake and strut brace and go from the top left side of engine bay.. no joy.. next night me and a good mate went out to his grandpa's farm where he had a Pit. over 2 hours later, we couldnt get that mount into position.

Now this leads me to think that at least we'd have to drop the gearbox (and exhaust and axles) in order to get the mount into position.

OR..

Remove the whole engine and tranny and attach the bracket to the motor and tranny before sliding the bracket down over the mount (attached to firewall)..

both of these 2 options are beyond my own capabilities in terms of workshop and necessary tools etc..

is this the only way to get that mount-bracket in there ? if so, what $$ would you expect to pay (reasonably) for this in terms of labour ?

thanks for your help in advance

shmivic
09-05-2005, 05:50 PM
hmm ive got a mate who also had this prob any help guys???

tegstar83
09-05-2005, 09:10 PM
take it back to engineer sounds like it wasnt engineered properly

VT3C
10-05-2005, 12:27 PM
take it back to engineer sounds like it wasnt engineered properly

LMFAO.. NO FKN WAY IN THE WORLD !!

those cowboys never goin to get their greasy paws near my car ever again, and for sake of personal sanity, am not going near their premises.

you dont understand what they've done.. will get pics as soon as *someone* emails them to me.

basically I have a BRAND-NEW from Honda (B16A Del-Sol) Tranny Mount Bracket and am trying to find out HOW the hell I can fit it hopefully without removing the entire motor and or tranny.

bennjamin
10-05-2005, 01:48 PM
basically I have a BRAND-NEW from Honda (B16A Del-Sol) Tranny Mount Bracket and am trying to find out HOW the hell I can fit it hopefully without removing the entire motor and or tranny.

Firstly, you will have to contact the original company with a written complaint - asking them to fix your "problem" . And , since hopefulyl you can prove the damage was done under the influence of their shoddy work - take it to the department of fair trading ( or threaten this company with that )

Anyway, which mount is in need of replacement ? AFAIK , if the engine block + gearbox is properly held on a flat surface - then any individual mount can saftely be changed. JSUT make sure they are torqued good :)

tegstar83
10-05-2005, 07:21 PM
Yeah exactly what I was gonna say, report them

KB
10-05-2005, 07:26 PM
Have you tried taking the intake manifold off? Might be easyer than taking the whole motor out? Good Luck with it! :D

KB
10-05-2005, 07:31 PM
Because surley the time it would take to remove the intake manifold and the cost of a new gasket would be much less than taking it to a shop and paying for it.

Funny though a simular thing happened to me and a mate a little while ago when trying to fix his car and we ended up getting so frustrated we went back to his house and got high.

So my advice is plan what you gotta do and just do it slowley... and high.

:D

tegstar83
10-05-2005, 08:22 PM
u know u really should say who did this so that no one else goes there and gets fkd up man

garett
10-05-2005, 08:42 PM
if you have some sort of engineer cert of the job which has been done, and its still valid you can legally have them either a) fix it for free as they would get shagged by vicroads or whatever.
b) get it fixed and send them the bill, its not in my nature to be a prick but when this sort of shit happens when you spend a lot of money make sure you get what you paid for mate, if it involves being an ass hole i suggest doing it because you either have an unsafe/ un roadworthy car which you have payed for or a rd worthy car which you have paid for. you have the upper hand.

i should be a lawer

Q_ball
10-05-2005, 08:47 PM
sorri guys, i kno this is off the topic completely, but weneva i see this threads title..."tranny..." lol
i dunno, the word tranny jst crack me up :D

KB
10-05-2005, 08:49 PM
-_- sigh

:P

r`Geno
10-05-2005, 08:53 PM
-_- sigh

I live in a giant bucket!

^ what colour bucket?

VT3C
11-05-2005, 10:17 AM
Yeah exactly what I was gonna say, report them

hmm yeah well usually I wouldnt let anything like this go without a big fkn noise, but these guys have links to the CC's and I've already had one run-in with the CC's before.

BUT, he claims to be such a professional etc, and I have complete proof and there's no doubt in their poor workmanship.. so am considering it. though I wouldnt want them to install the mount cause they caused so much damage last time.

The workshop is in Perth, on Beechboro Rd, Bayswater. I will not mention the name of the shop, but if anyone else here knows it, feel free to accidentally drop the name.

will try to get the photos of the mount for you today.. will make more sense when you see what I'm talkin about.

VT3C
11-05-2005, 10:28 AM
Have you tried taking the intake manifold off? Might be easyer than taking the whole motor out? Good Luck with it! :D

KB KB KB..
you know what i've tried and what I havnt hahaha..

even if I DO get that bracket in position, wont be able to allign the bracket into the mount without major difficulties.

Plus it's a bitch to get at the bolts underneath the IM.. undoing them is one thing, but re-installing the IM while the motor is in the car is possible, but a pain in the ass. I've already removed the IM while motor was out of the car and cleaned it and replaced the gasket.. torqued it down nice and evenl etc.

the gasket can be a bit of a bitch also if it sticks to the head and needs to be razor-bladed off etc.. been there done that CBF'd doin it again. seriously, I think is easier to hoist the motor up than do remove and repllace the IM.

am thinking dropping the gearbox is one option, but still how do I get that bracket to line up with the mount once the bracket has been bolted to the motor and trans ?

I am replacing the BRACKET - not the actual rubber mount part.. though the proceedure should be similar.. sigh

VT3C
11-05-2005, 02:54 PM
http://img202.echo.cx/img202/495/dsc00818b4yy.th.jpg (http://img202.echo.cx/my.php?image=dsc00818b4yy.jpg)
Modified bracket on the right, new B-series bracket on the left.. hmmm NOTE how they've just cut off the top/engine-side mounting point and badly welded a patch over the cut..

http://img218.echo.cx/img218/9826/dsc00815b4cl.th.jpg (http://img218.echo.cx/my.php?image=dsc00815b4cl.jpg)

http://img127.echo.cx/img127/891/dsc00816b5vs.th.jpg (http://img127.echo.cx/my.php?image=dsc00816b5vs.jpg)
Mounts side by side.. you can see the alignment issues.. the modified bracket only allows the bolt to poke about 18mm into the gearbox housing, the new mount lets it go through about 40mm no less - no wonder the bolts fell out !!

http://img127.echo.cx/img127/3127/dsc00817b0ak.th.jpg (http://img127.echo.cx/my.php?image=dsc00817b0ak.jpg)
Basically you can see how far the bolt was MEANT to poke into the Gearbox..underneath you can see the welds and the dodgy Oversize NUT that was used to relocate the positioning of the bracket.

http://img202.echo.cx/img202/23/dsc00819b8ig.th.jpg (http://img202.echo.cx/my.php?image=dsc00819b8ig.jpg) This photo of the modified bracket, you can see where the OS Nut is still attached how far the bolt pokes through (~18mm).. and on the top hole where the bolt is, you can see where the bad welds have given way and that is how far the bolt is MEANT to go into the D-series trans.

http://img207.echo.cx/img207/6329/dsc00820b4om.th.jpg (http://img207.echo.cx/my.php?image=dsc00820b4om.jpg)
Finally the nut and the nice alloy threads it pulled right out of the alloy gearbox housing :( you can see the OS Nut and the dodgy welds also.

F*CKN COWBOY MECHANICS !!

KB
11-05-2005, 03:20 PM
The workshop is in Perth, on Beechboro Rd, Bayswater. I will not mention the name of the shop, but if anyone else here knows it, feel free to accidentally drop the name.

I know of a shop down there. It's called BM technics.

KB
11-05-2005, 03:22 PM
^ what colour bucket?

It's Green. Has Litre (L) markings up the inner wall too.

shmivic
11-05-2005, 05:33 PM
as i said before ur welcome to come over on weekend and use my crane to try and do it :thumbsup:

ive removed my intake man too and some of the lower bolts are very tricky even with the engine out

ive got a little procedure on how to do it from when i had to do it on my d. might work might not

ill catch ya over weekend will have a go at it ok!! get some TAK WAK MAC action happenin

shmivic
11-05-2005, 05:34 PM
kb is ur bucket dark green and 1.6L!! jks bro

Biggie
11-05-2005, 05:59 PM
kb is ur bucket dark green and 1.6L!! jks bro

rofl

VT3C
11-05-2005, 06:07 PM
Guys enough of the bucket already - please keep it on topic ..

you eastern state's guys MUST have some tricks for this kinda thing ??? (swapping mounts etc..)

thanks Shmiv' will be over on friday night and sat to help you out.. gotta git your B16 in first !!

shmivic
11-05-2005, 06:26 PM
yer after mine done we hit urs do a mr fix it weekend aye

ive heard of this workshop b m techniks place?
they did my mates intercooler piping entirely out of rubber!! WTF!!!!!!!!!

Weq
11-05-2005, 07:36 PM
dude i know that bitch bracket and the associated bitch bolts.. u can get to it without taking the intake mani off. i did it on my d-series when i installed my motor mount inserts. its a bitch... what helped me was removing the carbon canister.. otherwise, i did it on jackstands and a torch.. took like 2 hours to install each time i had to do it.

VT3C
12-05-2005, 10:26 AM
hmm yeah I am a little worried about that carbon cannister.. I remember the mechanic sayiung he had to modify it to fit the mount or something.. I am hoping it doesnt interfear with the new OEM mount :( I couldnt notice anything different about it when I was under the car last week. will have to go look at the pics of my motor before it went in the car.

but we spent one night trying to get the mount in positionfrom above having removing the intake (pipe) and strut brace.. no joy

spent the next night under the car in a 'pit'.. still no joy. the bracket holding up the IM and also some fuel lines and the power steering rack were also kinda in the way..

but even if I CAN get the mount in position, and I do manage to succesfully bolt the 2 bolts for the gearbox housing, and one for the engine block part, how the heck to I line up the last part so that the bolt can glide through the bracket AND the mount ?

sigh..

Weq
12-05-2005, 05:32 PM
lol.. yeah i know the feeling.. those hardlines get in the way.. BTW i have u taken out the mount that bolts into the chassis?? if u havnt, take it out asap. i had to take it out and then put them in at the same time.. the secret is to slot it into its pivot point area, then put it in ALL at once!its a bitch, but can be done..

just make sure u dont put it in backwards like i did.. then u gotta do it again when u realise the engine is swaying so much it pulls u outa gear. lol

VT3C
12-05-2005, 06:06 PM
lol.. yeah i know the feeling.. those hardlines get in the way.. BTW i have u taken out the mount that bolts into the chassis?? if u havnt, take it out asap. i had to take it out and then put them in at the same time.. the secret is to slot it into its pivot point area, then put it in ALL at once!its a bitch, but can be done..

just make sure u dont put it in backwards like i did.. then u gotta do it again when u realise the engine is swaying so much it pulls u outa gear. lol

hmm we were just trying to remove that mount part but I didnt have a long enough socket extension or long enough (lever) on my socket so couldnt un-do it.. but that's what I was thinking initially..

If you were successfull, I think I'll have a go removing the mount and then as you said positioning them BOTH at the same time while loose.. then IF I can attach the bracket to the trans and motor, maybe eve also the mount, I can torque down the mount's bolts in order to 'line-up' everything.. hmmm

you're a clever chappy I tell ya !!! when I come over east I owe you 2 x cartons of beer now HAHAH

KB
12-05-2005, 06:22 PM
But don't expect the beer anytime soon! He owns me at least 8. :P

VT3C
13-05-2005, 10:13 AM
8 ?? but YOU owe me 42 !! LMFAO

Weq
14-05-2005, 11:49 AM
to reach the bolts i had to to use my 2 extensions and my uni joint.. got to it though.. removing the cabon canister makes accessing the left 1 easier ;) very little room.. i had to hammer the socket onto the bolt. if u want to make it easier, file down some of the surrounding metal.

VT3C
16-05-2005, 10:29 AM
was helping a mate do his B16 into EG swap on the weekend and his dad had to install that mount and bracket agfter everything else was in ther.. so I've seen it done now HAAHH i believe it's possible to do this 100% now HAHAH

I think with the B-series there's a little more room under the IM etc.. the D was very cramped under the IM etc.. but I dont think will need to file anything or bash anything.

anyway, will prob have another attempt fitting the bitch after work this week.. will keep u posted.

we have a club cruise this weekend and I want to get this mount sorted so I can 'Tak..

VT3C
19-05-2005, 11:44 AM
OK well.. now we managed to get the bracket and the mount in position, but was unable to get the 2 bolts into the tranny.

the bracket is like a "T" right, we have the 2 top bolts in position and bolted to the engine and mount respectively.. but the angle of the motor meant we couldnt get the two lower bolts that go into the tranny to line up.. the motor needs to pivot anti clockwise about 12mm at least !!

but now at least the engine movement is MUCH better.. I'd say the mount/bracket is doing about 2/3rds of it's job.

but how to get those last 2 bolts lined up ?
I am going to raise the height of my coilovers tomorow at the front to get the axles horizontal - is like this now ]v[ but want to make it ]--[ if u know what I mean.

any ideas weq ? we tried to have the T bracket bolted to the thrans and motor and into the moount before torquing down the mount to pull into alignment, but we couldnt get it into position as the T bracket when attached to the trans and motor would point down too far to be aligned into the mount :(

Weq
20-05-2005, 05:59 PM
hmm dunno. whenever i had problems reinstalling my mounts, i just had to jack the engine up in different ways to get it all the line up... although i never had troubles with the rear mount... get the trolley jack out and give it a try..

VT3C
20-05-2005, 06:16 PM
hehehh.. car is too low for trolley jack to get under it :(

but yeah am goin to raise her a little, then try with engine crane to move it.. sigh..