PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heal and toe with TypeR DC2 / DC5

UR2L8
17-01-2004, 09:28 PM
Just have a basic question, can anyone heal and toe properly in the TypeR Integra DC2/DC5? I cant do it because the gas pedal is about 1-2 inches further down then the brake. Just seems like I need shoes that have a 4 inch heal in them :) LOL And ive driven heaps of other cars and all of the pedals are in line, but the TypeR gas pedal is heaps down then the others.

A'PEXi
18-01-2004, 12:52 AM
you could get aftermarket pedals and fit them closer together so you can do it :D.... its possible tho, as seen in videos :P

joneblaze
18-01-2004, 02:32 AM
I've also had that problem in my DC2.... GSi........ can't seem to reach the accelerator when i'm trying to give it a blip or muck around... and when i DO manage to blip the gas, it means i've stomped pretty hard on the brake, and i feel like a mongo... lol....
You could do what Ray said and just buy aftermarket pedals to fit on top... i'm not quite sure how reliable they are though....

UR2L8
18-01-2004, 12:19 PM
Apexi: yeah I got heaps of best motoring clips and they do it easily and dosent seem the gas pedal is so far down as in mine.
Anyway, thanx.

dc2r
18-01-2004, 12:23 PM
yes i can heal and toe.

UR2L8
18-01-2004, 12:27 PM
dc2r: is your gas pedal like mine, about 2 inches further down then the brake? i assume it would be.

Xenon
18-01-2004, 01:00 PM
I have a DC5r and the accelarator is about and inch below the brake, and yes i can heel and toe..

If u think about it, having the accelarator pedal below the brake would be easier for h&t. As u press the brake pedal to slow down, the brake pedal will be closer to the line of the accelarator pedal thus making easier to reach accelarator with the heel of your foot...

i think having the pedals all inline would be harder to h&t..

dc2r
19-01-2004, 01:08 PM
I agree with Xenon... also because if you apply the same pressure to the brake and the gas pedal at the same time, then the brakes will be too strong, so the gas being lower is better. You only really need a bit of gas to heal toe anyway. It's called practice. Get used to your pedals and practice.

bennjamin
19-01-2004, 03:25 PM
Double shuffle ? watever it is called...i have big enuff feet ( size 13) to be on the brake and clutch and accelerator effectively while down shifting in my lil Si...good for OP ;)

But yes- it takes muhc practice...to learn the friction point sof various clutches etc etc.

UR2L8
22-01-2004, 05:28 PM
Ive been trying really hard to do it but I cant. My foots too big, my foot arch has to be in the middle of the brake to even just press the gas with my heal. And my toe is god knows were. Even tryed not driving just with my foot and no shoes or anything, still cant do it and wouldnt be able to do it.
"Curse these big feet"!!!

tofu R
22-01-2004, 05:56 PM
my cousin has dc5r JAP88R =P
andi think heal toe is easier with his pedals than mine .

but still can do with dc2r
requires a little bit more twisting action
hehe

UR2L8
22-01-2004, 06:02 PM
Yeah, its not so much the twisting part. Just that when i drive normaly i would have my heal on the ground and about 30% of my foot on the gas, and brake the same, but for me to heal and toe I need to quikly slide my foot up and acros to the left, so my heal can fit onto the gas without hitting the right panel or getting stuck, then to slide the foot back down, I mean the Japs do it easily and is very simple and i can just do it in the CRV but thats a bigger car. I would need those racing shoes to have a chance at doing heal and toe but whats the point:)

wynode
22-01-2004, 06:55 PM
Do you use the side of you foot? I have the left half on the brake and the right half on the accelerator...........

UR2L8
22-01-2004, 07:02 PM
Oh yeah I know what you mean, i tryed that, using the right side of my foot to press the gas wile presing the brake with the left half, but problem is the gass pedal is further down then the brake.
The most effective way is to heal and toe no doubt but my shoes are too big all.
**** it I guess:)

dc2r
22-01-2004, 09:07 PM
that's the spirit!!

bennjamin
22-01-2004, 09:44 PM
no doubt but my shoes are too big all.
f*ck it I guess:)

How big r ur feet dood ? Im sure about my size or smaller - ( size 13 ) I have no problem "heel toeing" - if anytrhing having bigger feet to ride both the brake , and blip teh accelerator at the same time is an advantage - which im sure u could not do with just tiny lil feet...

Best way to find out - we should video tape everyones feet ( ala Best motoring" ) and see how we all take an exact same corner ;)

Im sure there will be 32 differnt ways lol....

UR2L8
22-01-2004, 09:48 PM
Haha yeah that be nice, nice sunny track day:) It would be a very loud day for sure. My foots size 12.5 so my shoes are 13 at least depending on what shoes you know. Ive got best motoring clips and its so easy coz they got small feet so they have that free space to get that heal across no probs without hitting anything, but I haveto kinda slide my foot up and to teh left to get that heal onto the gas and if not then yeah. Its hard to describe on net but in person imsure would be a lot clearer.

Boost
30-01-2004, 03:40 PM
yeh i think having a bigger foot would make it easier to heal toe.
My teg vtir pedals are kinda far apart like you guys say as well, but it takes practice to get to perfection!. Good luck dudes.

VTEC16
30-01-2004, 03:58 PM
my feet are also 12.5!!!

i have no probs heal toeing with my EK4.....

I dont use my heal on the accellerator and toes on my brakes......i just use my foot on a lil' bit of an angle.......my feet dont turn 90 degrees (which i think is what you may be trying to do?).......but then iv neva driven an ITR....

fueltank
30-01-2004, 05:03 PM
maybe you guys are doing it wrong?
I've taught a few guys how to do it on the track.
One guy couldn't do it he complains about it being weird?!?!?!?!

I found out he was using his toes to brake and pivoting with his toes (WTF?!)
So I got him to use the meaty ball bit under the big toe to brake and use that to pivot.

I hope you guys aren't trying to brake with your toes on the brake hehehe

tofu R
30-01-2004, 05:25 PM
hmm i feel like a midget..
or are u guys not asian or something =P
haha

McChook
01-02-2004, 09:16 PM
I heel toe in my lude,
i have ball of foot on brake, heel on accel....

as if there is any other way...

A'PEXi
02-02-2004, 02:41 AM
hmm could you toe and heel? ie. brake with ur heal and accel with ur toe hahaha

Cyrus
02-02-2004, 10:20 PM
It's all practice, you see the race car drivers do it so easily with any paddles is because heal and toes is just second nature to them. Heal and toes should be able to be done regardless of how much braking. It's just getting that feeling of rotating you foot so you can blip the throttle. More practice and you will just do it without thinking about it!! Happy Practising!!!!

Rudy

tanghy
03-02-2004, 12:35 AM
if your foot is wide enough use the ball of your foot on the brake and the outside part of yr foot on the accel

correct spelling is HEEL PEDALS

mugsee
24-03-2004, 07:35 PM
I was looking around through the net and read some people like to modify their throttle cable (when they come loose) so that its more responsive - this also allows for more responsive blips when they heel-toe.

Maybe this could help those not laying your heel down far enough?

joneblaze
24-03-2004, 07:47 PM
Yeah mine is pretty "loose"ish, as mentioned to me by a friend, but when asking my mechanic (peter@hannys) he said it was fine and didnt have to be that taut at all. Apparently it drives idle up and fuel economy? I suppose that wasn't from a "performance" viewpoint though....

wynode
24-03-2004, 09:26 PM
if your foot is wide enough use the ball of your foot on the brake and the outside part of yr foot on the accel

correct spelling is HEEL PEDALS

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

A'PEXi
25-03-2004, 12:10 AM
my foot isnt that big, but i can do what andrew said, basically my pedals are really close together.

helpmepushstartmyturboaut
25-04-2004, 09:22 PM
I think you only REALLY need to heel-toe when braking hard into corners, so I've found that the pedal position is actually really good. I'm sure that in all those 'best motoring' videos, they're also braking much harder and from greater speeds than most of us on the street.

Probably helps that i've also got a wide foot. Maybe bolting on wider pedals??

VTEC16
25-04-2004, 09:50 PM
I drove to lorne and back a couple of weeks ago......i woulda been screwed on the G.O.R without heel-toeing!

red s2000
10-06-2004, 07:19 PM
I think you only REALLY need to heel-toe when braking hard into corners, so I've found that the pedal position is actually really good. I'm sure that in all those 'best motoring' videos, they're also braking much harder and from greater speeds than most of us on the street.

Probably helps that i've also got a wide foot. Maybe bolting on wider pedals??

I agree...my s2k only requires heel-toe when i'm really braking hard into a corner, otherwise i don't feel the need. The purpose of a heel-toe is to essentially match the engine revs to aid the down-shifting and not upset the balance of the car into corners. (It can also work if you have mates you like to impress with the blip!) From racing experience, the speeds are much greater on the track than on the streets of a neighbourhood...unless you are a little foolish and like lamp-posts...:)

red s2000
10-06-2004, 07:22 PM
I drove to lorne and back a couple of weeks ago......i woulda been screwed on the G.O.R without heel-toeing!

i'm interested, why? were you drifting? ;) (btw do you have any G.O.R pace notes?)

VTEC16
10-06-2004, 10:54 PM

i'm interested, why? were you drifting? ;) (btw do you have any G.O.R pace notes?)

With such tight corners...and often on the limit of grip, if you are changing gears from one linked corner into another, its going to upset the car (unless you ride the clutch like a mo' fo'). So heel toing allowes you to trail brake and smoothly engage the right cog at the same time, without unsettling the car mid-corner.

...i hope i said all that right....had a few coldies....

EDIT:

no - i wasnt drifting in my FWD EK4.

no - i dont have pace notes - that was my first time on the GOR.....took it easy on the one way.....went a little harder on the way back....but didnt push too hard without intimate knowledge of the road (of course).

Cyrus
20-07-2004, 12:55 AM
get the technique right and you should be able to heel and toe with any car,...each car paddles vary so it just takes a little bit of time to get accustomised to it. Worse come to worse,..get a set of aftermarket paddles...

I think beginners should practice heel and toe at low speeds and not necessary have to be under hard braking. First learn the movement, the timing and the match....then try it at higher speeds and heavier braking (in safe and control environments of course)....don't expect to be an expert overnight....as they say, don't run before you can walk..

Cheers

SIKCVC
27-07-2004, 11:04 AM
get the technique right and you should be able to heel and toe with any car,...each car paddles vary so it just takes a little bit of time to get accustomised to it. Worse come to worse,..get a set of aftermarket paddles...

I think beginners should practice heel and toe at low speeds and not necessary have to be under hard braking. First learn the movement, the timing and the match....then try it at higher speeds and heavier braking (in safe and control environments of course)....don't expect to be an expert overnight....as they say, don't run before you can walk..

Cheers

Its actually very VERY difficult to learn under lite breaking.

First thing to learn is perfect rev matching, once you can do this, then move onto heal/toe.

I dunno if anyone has mentioned this, but timing as to where you match your revs is essential... misstiming can result in a dead box.

This is the best order for rev matching but hardest to get used to strait away.
Clutch in.
out of gear
rev
N.B. after a little driving experience in any car, say 15 mins of driving in that car, you should know how much revs you'll need for the gear change, ie 5th-4th, 4th-3rd, 5th-3rd, 3rd-2nd.
into lower gear
dump the clutch.
N.B. bleed the clutch until you can get it right otherwise it will make life uncomfortable and wont do your g/box or shafts any good.

Once you've got this down you can add in the fact that your breaking at the same time. The hardest part of which is twisting your foot into the ungodly sideways possition, which if you're like me is painful at first.

The next hardest thing to adjust to... is the fact that you're now under breaks so your speed is dropping and in the time you clutch in and take it out of gear the revs you need to match are lower than before when just in over-run.

last issue, remember... BIG TOE... you use it to accell/maintain speed more accuratly and you need to use it to brake accuratly. if you just rest your foot there, when you blip your throttle you'll slam the brakes on too. and this is the reason why you practice under hard braking... ie the peddles are more even, less chance of slamming on the brakes.

If you can already rev match, takes about a week 2 weeks to figure out the whole twisted foot/dropping speed thing.

Once you can do it in once car, you'll be able to go from car to car and heal/toe with ease... piece of piss!

Oh yeah, as was said earlier... this is how i was tought/learned to heal/toe, but I'm sure theres dozens of different ways, like using the side of your foot to blip the throttle etc etc.

have fun learning its a usful tool in emergancies!

PS buy tight fitting shoes with a thin sole... makes the whole big toe/peddle contact a lot easier. Puma make a pair of running shoes which are a sparco rip off. good buy!

PPS sorry for the essay length peice, hope it helped