PDA

View Full Version : catch can help

BiGANG
11-05-2005, 05:48 PM
hey guys, i bought a catch can recently. And im wondering how to install it. Usually it runs in line with the piping that comes out of the throttle body, (pcv i think) any heres my problem, my catch can only has one place to connect a pipe. it has a vent on top if that makes any difference. Anyway, i was wondering if there was any other way to install these things?

ECU-MAN
12-05-2005, 08:06 PM
its best to rout the things back to the intake.
post up a pic of your can

bennjamin
12-05-2005, 08:59 PM
http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=2/79DSCF0224-med.JPG

Above is a dodgy DIY method i made awhile back.
An oil catch can is supposed to be run inbetween your PCV piping, and inlet manifold. Simply acts as a filter of excess oil vapour in the intake charge. Make sure it is sealed and free of vaccuum leaks !

BiGANG
14-05-2005, 12:41 AM
i was talking to a mechanic mate, he told me to connect the one pipe to the motor side and plug the hole on the intake manifold. Ill post up a pic of the catch can tomorro u guys all know what im trying to explain, pretty hard to explain without pics.

bennjamin
14-05-2005, 12:19 PM
i was talking to a mechanic mate, he told me to connect the one pipe to the motor side and plug the hole on the intake manifold. Ill post up a pic of the catch can tomorro u guys all know what im trying to explain, pretty hard to explain without pics.

AFAIK the PCV system to suck/displace air from the inlet pipe, thru to the cam cover , and then circulates oil vapour from inside the engine thru to the PCV and then again into the inlet manifold. It is a vacumm run system - and needs to be unblocked. Even that little / cut in the pipe that runs off the inlet ( the pipe that connects to the inlet piping) is very inportant.

What is your mechanic on about ?

BiGANG
14-05-2005, 02:07 PM
i still havent hooked it up yet. too much confusion i think. i took a pic of my can today, just have to upload it and post it up. youll c it soon. thanks benjamin for the input btw

OZ#227
14-05-2005, 04:32 PM
Basically, you got the wrong Catch can. They come in 2 types Vented or Sealed.

You don't want a Vented one, as some of the others have mentioned. This is becaused your dealing with Metered air.
This might Help:-

http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/catchcan/catchcan.php

Good Luck. :thumbsup:

bennjamin
14-05-2005, 05:06 PM
Basically, you got the wrong Catch can. They come in 2 types Vented or Sealed.

You don't want a Vented one, as some of the others have mentioned. This is becaused your dealing with Metered air.
This might Help:-

http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/catchcan/catchcan.php

Good Luck. :thumbsup:

Good point - our hondas need the air back in for the MAP sensor ( correct me if wrong) etc to read the vacuum properly... you really do need a sealed 2 entry (in and out) can catch to be of any use both technicalyl and legally here in OZ.

BTW , my setup shown above , catches quite abit of oil in the every day-to -day driving. Heated driving would ofcourse displace more oil vapour aimed at the inlet manifold so this is a good investment for a car that tracks :)

BiGANG
14-05-2005, 06:51 PM
http://img114.echo.cx/img114/7473/p51400637bj.jpg (http://www.imageshack.us)

yeh i got the vented one. heres a pic i took of it. would the vented one make any differnce to the workings of the engine. For example make it idle rough or make any other differnce? Why is it illegal?

bennjamin
14-05-2005, 09:42 PM
Mmm....its illegal as air vapour that contains oil etc will be vented via that vent ontop.
And that is an illegal emission ( dont ask me on technical terms...)
Get a catch can like the one i showed above ( and hooked up the way i showed above) , or just none at all.

BiGANG
15-05-2005, 10:16 PM
after all this, i just modded the can i had. tapped another hole on the other side and put another nipple on. the capped the top with a rubber boot i found in the garage (for now) it worked but the top of it looks shite so i have to do something about it.
and just out of curiosity i did some experimenting on my car, and i capped the intake side and the idle was alrite. as soon as it was unplugged though it revved up pretty quick. So im guessing the pcv system wouldnt be metered in terms of the running of the car and a/f etc. Ill do some reading to try to see if my theory is right or not..

MIRZ
17-05-2005, 12:08 PM
if i m not wrong someone was selling these oil catchers few days back in OZHonda Traders section.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19848

bennjamin
17-05-2005, 12:21 PM
after all this, i just modded the can i had. tapped another hole on the other side and put another nipple on. the capped the top with a rubber boot i found in the garage (for now) it worked but the top of it looks shite so i have to do something about it.
and just out of curiosity i did some experimenting on my car, and i capped the intake side and the idle was alrite. as soon as it was unplugged though it revved up pretty quick. So im guessing the pcv system wouldnt be metered in terms of the running of the car and a/f etc. Ill do some reading to try to see if my theory is right or not..

the vacuum runnign thru the PCV system isnt metered for any A/F ratio etc - AFAIK it is run on air pressure and needs the air to keep the PCV open and closed at WOT etc.

MIRZ
28-05-2005, 08:18 PM
whats the real benefit of this "oil catch can"? does it give more power, smooth accelration, or something else.

bennjamin
28-05-2005, 08:40 PM
whats the real benefit of this "oil catch can"? does it give more power, smooth accelration, or something else.

its there to filter excess oil vapour, from re-entering the intake manifold. Good thing - as under load can cause detonation.

To be basic, there is a vaccuum flow of air+oil vapour, that circualates from your intake pipe thru the head and then down into your sump , THEN back up past a PCV ( positve crankcase valve) and then back into the inlet manifold. The PCV system is one of the oldest emission control devices but does let some oil vapour into the intake charge.
Placing a filter inbetween the PCV and inlet manifold (or vice versa) further helps reduce oil sludge forming in the intake manifold.

wynode
28-05-2005, 08:52 PM
The answer to that question is in the forums.......just look a bit harder ;)

MIRZ
29-05-2005, 12:20 AM
thanks Bennjamin for this detailed explanation. now got the whole idea.

joyride
31-05-2005, 01:27 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v137/joyride/b16aIM.jpg
see the oil in the ports?
a catch can helps to prevent it from happening

Boost
31-05-2005, 01:30 PM
hey is that a itr IM and TB joyride??

joyride
31-05-2005, 01:45 PM
nah its from a b16a

keric_02
01-06-2005, 01:06 AM
Does all catch cans do the something? if i was to buy a greddy one as opposed to a no brand one, there's absolutely no difference right?

bennjamin
01-06-2005, 01:11 AM
Does all catch cans do the something? if i was to buy a greddy one as opposed to a no brand one, there's absolutely no difference right?

Should be no difference. Same basic idea- to "catch" excess oil vapour and prevent build up in the inlet manifold.
I personally, have a "Brand name one" - but im sure a no name woudl be good too. Get something with a in and out pipe- PLUS a oil plug in the bottom to drain the excess oil once in a while :)

keric_02
01-06-2005, 01:16 AM
Should be no difference. Same basic idea- to "catch" excess oil vapour and prevent build up in the inlet manifold.
I personally, have a "Brand name one" - but im sure a no name woudl be good too. Get something with a in and out pipe- PLUS a oil plug in the bottom to drain the excess oil once in a while :)

cool thanks, thats what i thought... basically just payin for the brand name :)

Boost
01-06-2005, 08:32 AM
ah ok.. yeh the b16 and b18c7 have similar shape IM

MIRZ
01-06-2005, 02:55 PM
if someone is interested PM me for a link.
There is selling on EBay for only cheap in Sydney.
looks preety good and functional.

turtleEK1
01-06-2005, 06:50 PM
after all this, i just modded the can i had. tapped another hole on the other side and put another nipple on.

does this work? or is it not that easy?

OZ#227
06-06-2005, 12:08 AM
if someone is interested PM me for a link.
There is selling on EBay for only cheap in Sydney.
looks preety good and functional.

Careful about those catch cans on eBay. They might look good, but don't have any baffles. I brought 1, But atleast I can fix it.
See, I've got access to a full workshop. But I still haven't done it yet.

They should also be packed with steel wool, The cheap ones aren't.
Cheap = NO Baffle or Packing. Which = Useless.

Just my 2c. Good luck.

bennjamin
06-06-2005, 12:34 AM

Just my 2c. Good luck.

Not entirely. I have a VISION catch can - which isnt internally baffled - it jsut relies on the contact inside with the can walls, to layer the oil vapour. Seems to work - as after about 5,000kms worth of driving it filtered out about 20mls of oil. Better in the can , than in the combustion chamber :)

MIRZ
08-06-2005, 10:28 AM
so what should i ask the seller about inside of Oil Catch Can on eBay to make sure it will work the way how it is suppose to be.

so far i know following features about it

1 - must have IN/OUT.
2 - must have a drain in bottom
3 - must not have any evaporator kind of thing on top of it.
4 - must have outer level indicator pipe.

but no one on eBay has mentioned whats inside the CAN.

bennjamin
08-06-2005, 10:38 AM
so what should i ask the seller about inside of Oil Catch Can on eBay to make sure it will work the way how it is suppose to be.

so far i know following features about it

1 - must have IN/OUT.
2 - must have a drain in bottom
3 - must not have any evaporator kind of thing on top of it.
4 - must have outer level indicator pipe.

but no one on eBay has mentioned whats inside the CAN.

i really doubt ANY EBAY "cans" are internally baffled ( that is , with any lips or ridges inside to catch excess vapour). Maybe , best to get a really really cheap one , and chuck in some steel wool yourself.

MIRZ
08-06-2005, 11:25 AM
Thanks Bennjamin, do i need to fill the whole can or half with steel wool?

so from drain hole i can fill in this whole can with steel wool, thats good. i think i would go for a cheap one and see its results in 2-3 months.

bennjamin
08-06-2005, 12:47 PM
Thanks Bennjamin, do i need to fill the whole can or half with steel wool?

so from drain hole i can fill in this whole can with steel wool, thats good. i think i would go for a cheap one and see its results in 2-3 months.

just keep the airflow filtered - so , as long as the majority of the vaccuum/air passes through the "filter" before exiting the catch can which is the desired outcome. Dont PACK the can with steel wool , only a small amoutn should be sufficient. Also , try to keep the steel wool/plastic etc off the bottom of the can.

Im doign a DIY el-cheapo job soon for fun *wait*

BiGANG
08-06-2005, 01:02 PM
yeh the one i bought didnt come baffled or with anythng inside, i ended up putting steel wool in it though. My dad suggested it to me actually. And now the can has some oil in the inspection tube after about 4000km. Havent drained it yet. The steel wool is a pain in the ass to put in though. But it would be doing a better job with it than without it i think

keric_02
08-06-2005, 03:28 PM
Careful about those catch cans on eBay. They might look good, but don't have any baffles. I brought 1, But atleast I can fix it.
See, I've got access to a full workshop. But I still haven't done it yet.

Just my 2c. Good luck.

Not necessarily, i asked around and some of the cheaper ones on ebay have internal baffle.

They also told me the genuine greddy and cusco ones dont have internal baffle. Sorta crap if you ask me, you're paying 3 times the price and you get a crapper oil catch can. All you're payin for is the brand. Good luck

dundas
09-06-2005, 11:11 PM
catch ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32624&item=4553975701&rd=1)

whats the lil pipe with sum sort of filter?
its sorta infront of the can itself.

bennjamin
09-06-2005, 11:16 PM
catch ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32624&item=4553975701&rd=1)

whats the lil pipe with sum sort of filter?
its sorta infront of the can itself.

the "lil pipe" is a liquid gauge - as the catch can fills with oil this line raises letting you know roughly how much oil is present inside.

dundas
09-06-2005, 11:36 PM
ahh i meant da one not connecterd to da can