PDA

View Full Version : another which turbo question

mooshie
12-05-2005, 08:15 PM
hi guys i am looking into boosting my b18c and along comes the question of turbo choice, what would you guys suggest? I know this has been covered before but i found the replies inconclusive and didn't really answer the question. requirements are: stock internals, prefer internal wastegate, spool up around 3k revs, looking for about 140-150 kwatw(upgrading to about 170-180 with internals later maybe), and budget (turbo alone) up to about $2k. thinking at the moment of a GT28RS, or possibly just a GT28R, but what about other options? (T04, GT25R, GT2871R, VF35 etc. etc.) suggestions, comments and ideas as well as some specs and figures would all be very much welcomed.:)

RUDEF2
14-05-2005, 11:13 AM
T3/4 GT35 etc theres heaps of turbos out there to pick from... it depends on what power you want to get out of it... all comes down to $$$ have fun!!!

Clarkey

Weq
14-05-2005, 11:52 AM
\gt28rs would be a nice turbo for a stock engine ;0

10KRPM
15-05-2005, 07:47 AM
on the 1.8 liter engine, i reckon the disco potato would be fine aka GT28RS..

With maybe the .76 housing? Then again you want boost at 3krpm.....is that starting to boost or max boost? Bit of difference there.

mooshie
15-05-2005, 04:43 PM
hoping for full boost by 3.5K revs. the disco potato sounds good for the low end torque and midrange but i am just worried it is gonna run out of puff at the top end. i am not really worried about peak power but dont want it to feel comparably 'lifeless' at the high end of the rev range.

10KRPM
15-05-2005, 06:39 PM
It shouldnt run out of puff at higher revs if your boost level is set at 89psi.

Then again having the turbo would totally change your driving characteristics and i dont think you would seldom go close to the 8 thousand redline.

This turbo is all about response but the main thing to look at if you havent had a chance to read the story about the making of this turbo is that it was made according to the Sr20det engine which isnt a rev monster like the B18C engine. Also its about 20% bigger in capacity which also aids in bringing boost earlier on in the rev range.

BUT....lol...i keep contradicting myself.....the disco potato is considered as a stop gap upgrade for people who just want a bit more pop lower in the rev range....its only 20 hp more then an S15 turbo but more responsive (if thats possible).

So at the end of the day....it very well could be a good match for the B18C engine.

shecomb
16-05-2005, 08:31 AM
89psi!!!! That is a little out of the efficiency range of the GT series....

lol had to take advantage of the typo.

saxman
16-05-2005, 12:39 PM
the gt28rs is a wonderful turbo for a street honda... You're certainly not going to be running out of steam at 8-9psi. Heck, at that psi, you're not even starting to get into the peak efficiency range of the turbo.

You could run a t3/t04 of one trim or another, but the gt28rs will probably be a better option. Granted, they also cost quite a bit more.