PDA

View Full Version : Brand Help for AMP

Calvo
20-01-2004, 07:04 PM
hey guys, im just wonderin if anyone kno's anything bout Avalanche amps?

i can get the pretty cheap, for 800W 4 channel around $110.
im wonderin is it worth it? coz god damn thats cheap for 800W 4 channel amp.

criticism plz :D

btw, im a poor student who's got shit all bling atm :D

vti-2
20-01-2004, 10:32 PM
IMO it would be a POS. Don't waste your money.

Firstly, the power rating is misleading. Find out what the true RMS output is and then find out the THD. You will be shocked. Secondly, it would have shit heat dissipation which means the odds you will fry the amp are pretty high. Thirdly, you get what you pay for. What i mean by this is that you will pay bugger all for an amp that does it all. You will hook it up and find, firstly that it doesn't put out the power it should, gets way too hot too quick and starts clipping and distorts the speakers.

Save your hard earned money and buy something that will last.

euro77
21-01-2004, 06:58 AM
vti-2 is right there.

It must be a shitty amp because you only pay $110 for 800W x 4. The 800W is a max power output rating. True power should be measure by it's RMS rating.

Go check out the response amp. You are better off with them for budget amp.

poid
21-01-2004, 08:50 AM
what they said. Look at RMS power figures, they are at laest more accurate than POS max ratings which is the max power it made for 0.00001 of a second before it left circuit bits all over a testing room. If it ever made it at all!

And as Vic pointed out, look at the THD (Total Harmonic Distortion) figures different companies use to rate their amps. Some companies rate the amps at ridiculously high THD figures. Also, if one amp is making 50WRMS at 1% THD and another is making it at 0.04% THD, you can be sure that the second amp would be making more power than the first, though you still might not hear a difference between them. Also suggests that brand #2 is a more quality manufacturer.

Jaycar is the 'lowest' budget amp i'd be looking at, and even they can have issues from time to time (ie crap crossovers, turn-on pop etc)

Cheers :)

Calvo
21-01-2004, 10:48 AM
cheers guys, really appreciate the help.

hmm look like ill just stuff the audio for now til i have more $$ :D

Fhrx
21-01-2004, 05:29 PM
That's our motto - do it once, do it right. :)

XXpl0Sive
21-01-2004, 05:34 PM
Agreed with everyone!
Golden rule in car audio is you get what you pay for :)

euro77
22-01-2004, 06:51 AM
PS: Jaycar and Response amp are the same by the way ;)

Have a look at them on www.jaycar.com.au

There is another website that sells them cheaper but I totally forgot what it is :(

Javed
22-01-2004, 09:33 PM
www.advanceae.com.au

James is a champ runs advance and is a pleasure to do business with!